Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Permanent 12th Game Option for the FCS: agree or disagree?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Harvard, ETSU, St. Thomas, UC Davis, Chicago, MIT

Permanent 12th Game Option for the FCS: agree or disagree?

Wow. No one has posted a thread on this issue yet in recent memory, which is to be voted on at the Division I Council Meeting this week in Indianapolis. The issue is co-sponsored by the OVC and the Southland Conferences, however, it does not affect the 2017 season.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.as...92951867157904

If approved, the 12 game schedule will only take effect on years in which there are 13 weekends between Labor Day weekend and the weekend prior to Thanksgiving. Although the 12th game is optional, if the option is approved, the start of the FCS regular season would become the weekend prior to Labor Day weekend, which is usually the start week in NAIA schools.

Okay, some questions and opinions from me:
    1. Will the Ivies take action towards adding more games to comply or are they still standing pat, possibly going all the way down to a NESCAC-style schedule?
    2. Can the remaining FCS schools have an easier time finding countable opponents that are FBS, FCS, D-II or NAIA?
    3. I have a gut feeling that the schools will have a "race to the first to schedule an opponent" competition, in which the losers are the ones usually finding lower-quality competition.
    Will FCS football survive the mess created by the NIL saga?

---
    AGS Countdown Maven since 2019
    AGS Schedule Maven since 2022

AGS FCS Champion

Re: Permanent 12th Game Option for the FCS: agree or disagree?

It was discussed at length when it was first brought up. I hope it passes. Would be nice to have the ability to schedule an extra game if a school wanted to and it wouldn't be mandatory.

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post
    If approved, the 12 game schedule will only take effect on years in which there are 13 weekends between Labor Day weekend and the weekend prior to Thanksgiving.
    I'm pretty sure that 12th games are ALREADY an option on years in which there are 13 weekends between Labor Day weekend and the weekend prior to Thanksgiving.
    The proposal is for the option of a 12th game to be there EVERY year

My Team
    North Dakota State

[QUOTE=JayJ79;2470938]I'm pretty sure that 12th games are ALREADY an option on years in which there are 13 weekends between Labor Day weekend and the weekend prior to Thanksgiving.
    The proposal is for the option of a 12th game to be there EVERY year[/QUOTE]

You are correct.
    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by JayJ79 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that 12th games are ALREADY an option on years in which there are 13 weekends between Labor Day weekend and the weekend prior to Thanksgiving.
    The proposal is for the option of a 12th game to be there EVERY year
    Yes, because if the start of the season moves up to the weekend BEFORE Labor Day, there will always be 13 weekends available, and 14 in some years.

2019 - August 24, 31 (Labor Day weekend) September 7, 14, 21, 28 October 5, 12, 19, 26 November 2, 9, 16, 23 - Thanksgiving on 11/28
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by bonarae View Post
    1. Will the Ivies take action towards adding more games to comply or are they still standing pat, possibly going all the way down to a NESCAC-style schedule?
    No

Yes

No

Quote Originally Posted by Go Green View Post
    No

Yes

No
    I see what you did there!
    Harvard 2023: Back in the saddle again! A bit crowded, though.

AGS FCS Master
    My Team
    Montana

Interesting tidbit I hadn't seen before:

With the Southwestern Athletic Conference dropping from a nine-game conference schedule to seven games beginning this year,
    That means they should be playing enough non-conference games that we can see how good or bad they really are.

Yes, we need this in the SLC. It's only an option. Coaches that don't want it, don't need it or want it don't need to do it.

AGS FCS Champion

Fine option for those that want it.