Thread: NCAA Rules Committee: 3 Rule Recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

NCAA Rules Committee: 3 Rule Recommendations

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/ar...enhance-player

1. Prohibit defensive players who run toward the line of scrimmage from leaping or hurdling offensive linemen on field goal and point-after-touchdown attempts. Currently, defensive players can legally leap offensive linemen if they don’t land on another player.

2. Recommendation would require players to wear knee pads and pants that cover the knees. Currently, it is only strongly recommended that the pants cover the knee.

3. Including the nameplate area of the jersey in the current horse-collar tackle rule.

“Our committee’s most significant charge is to enhance the health and safety of our student-athletes when possible,” said Bob Nielson, chair of the committee and coach at South Dakota. “Each of these rules changes address areas that help us accomplish this goal.”

In other action, the committee extended two experimental rules for another season. The committee decided to allow conferences to continue using a collaborative approach to instant replay that includes conference office personnel. Also, the committee approved the continuation of The Ivy League’s kickoff experiment that calls for the ball to be kicked from the 40-yard line and spotted at the 20-yard line after touchbacks. The committee wants a larger amount of data to be collected.
    Each of the 3 proposals must still be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to meet April 19th.

My Team
    James Madison

Re: NCAA Rules Committee: 3 Rule Recommendations

I don't see an issue with leaping over someone if you don't land on or step on them. Is that any different than a receiver or running back leaping over a tackling defender?

Is this consistently leading to player injuries? If not, why bother?

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    I don't see an issue with leaping over someone if you don't land on or step on them. Is that any different than a receiver or running back leaping over a tackling defender?
    Yes - RB's and WR's have a whole lot of other things going on during the play that keep them from only thinking about taking a 10 yard running start, timing the snap, and leaping over the opponent. It's not nearly the static, 'premeditated' situation that exists on FG's and XP's. To have these guys using their athleticism to leap over the OLine on FG's and XP's is potentially very dangerous to them. I know the 2nd time a guy tried to do that over me, he would have been singing soprano for the rest of his career and/or landing on the top of his head in the turf after about an 8-10 foot drop.

I can support all of these changes - especially #2.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; March 6th, 2017 at 11:01 AM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post

Is this consistently leading to player injuries? If not, why bother?
    The landing on someone is damn near impossible to call. The folks watching for it are the umpire on FGs and "double umpires" on PATs. From that position, once the ball is snapped, you can't see where or on what they land. We were just looking for jumping off of someone on the way up (climbing the pyramid). I like #2 as I've been frustrated by this for years. Players getting all kinds of knee injuries while running around with basically shorts on and paper thin knee pads up on their thighs. I don't like #3 as the horse collar rule as it is is way too subjective with a very severe penalty.

The Nickelback of AGS

My Team
    North Dakota State

#3 is dumb, are they eventually going to eliminate all tackling from behind above the waist if the ball carriers is pulled backwards.
    “What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.”– Thomas Jefferson

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    #3 is dumb, are they eventually going to eliminate all tackling from behind above the waist if the ball carriers is pulled backwards.
    Agreed that is dumb. Were there a lot of injuries from horse collar tackles to begin with? I never heard of any. Just more feel good **** that looks like they are saving people from themselves again.

Master FCS Advocate
    My Team
    South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator View Post
    Agreed that is dumb. Were there a lot of injuries from horse collar tackles to begin with? I never heard of any. Just more feel good **** that looks like they are saving people from themselves again.
    Not sure if there were a lot of injuries, but there definitely were some, usually in the NFL. Roy Williams was pretty well-known for it.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...le-focus_x.htm

My Team
    South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by mango433 View Post
    Not sure if there were a lot of injuries, but there definitely were some, usually in the NFL. Roy Williams was pretty well-known for it.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...le-focus_x.htm
    What point do we have to get to before we accept that injuries happen in football and you can't legislate that out of it. I don't see this crusade against hockey or rugby. Hell I remember in hockey when I was a kid we had to watch videos on how to have your head positioned if you slide into the boards to help prevent broken necks. I know there isn't a pandemic of broken necks in hockey, it just more to the point of recognizing the risks and educating the players as opposed to trying to legislate safety until the game isn't the game anymore.

People are going to tear up knees, break things, dislocate limbs, and get concussions in a sport where you have large people smashing into each other at full speed, yet people act shocked an appalled that it happens. I understand trying to protect the athletes from themselves but at some point this basic concept just has to be recognized as a fact of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

Master FCS Advocate
    My Team
    South Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post
    What point do we have to get to before we accept that injuries happen in football and you can't legislate that out of it. I don't see this crusade against hockey or rugby. Hell I remember in hockey when I was a kid we had to watch videos on how to have your head positioned if you slide into the boards to help prevent broken necks. I know there isn't a pandemic of broken necks in hockey, it just more to the point of recognizing the risks and educating the players as opposed to trying to legislate safety until the game isn't the game anymore.

People are going to tear up knees, break things, dislocate limbs, and get concussions in a sport where you have large people smashing into each other at full speed, yet people act shocked an appalled that it happens. I understand trying to protect the athletes from themselves but at some point this basic concept just has to be recognized as a fact of the game.

To be clear, including the nameplate as part of a horse collar is extremely dumb.

My Team
    GO BUCS

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 76 View Post

^^^^^^POST OF THE MONTH^^^^^^
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.