Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    AGS Circle of Influence Member

NCAA Rules Committee: 3 Rule Recommendations

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/ar...enhance-player

1. Prohibit defensive players who run toward the line of scrimmage from leaping or hurdling offensive linemen on field goal and point-after-touchdown attempts. Currently, defensive players can legally leap offensive linemen if they don’t land on another player.

2. Recommendation would require players to wear knee pads and pants that cover the knees. Currently, it is only strongly recommended that the pants cover the knee.

3. Including the nameplate area of the jersey in the current horse-collar tackle rule.

“Our committee’s most significant charge is to enhance the health and safety of our student-athletes when possible,” said Bob Nielson, chair of the committee and coach at South Dakota. “Each of these rules changes address areas that help us accomplish this goal.”

In other action, the committee extended two experimental rules for another season. The committee decided to allow conferences to continue using a collaborative approach to instant replay that includes conference office personnel. Also, the committee approved the continuation of The Ivy League’s kickoff experiment that calls for the ball to be kicked from the 40-yard line and spotted at the 20-yard line after touchbacks. The committee wants a larger amount of data to be collected.
    Each of the 3 proposals must still be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which is scheduled to meet April 19th.
    "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
    -A FCS twist on a quote from Iowa State HC Matt Cambpell about getting his team bowl eligible.

Re: NCAA Rules Committee: 3 Rule Recommendations

I don't see an issue with leaping over someone if you don't land on or step on them. Is that any different than a receiver or running back leaping over a tackling defender?

Is this consistently leading to player injuries? If not, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    I don't see an issue with leaping over someone if you don't land on or step on them. Is that any different than a receiver or running back leaping over a tackling defender?
    Yes - RB's and WR's have a whole lot of other things going on during the play that keep them from only thinking about taking a 10 yard running start, timing the snap, and leaping over the opponent. It's not nearly the static, 'premeditated' situation that exists on FG's and XP's. To have these guys using their athleticism to leap over the OLine on FG's and XP's is potentially very dangerous to them. I know the 2nd time a guy tried to do that over me, he would have been singing soprano for the rest of his career and/or landing on the top of his head in the turf after about an 8-10 foot drop.

I can support all of these changes - especially #2.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; March 6th, 2017 at 12:01 PM.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

AGS FCS Champion

#3 is dumb, are they eventually going to eliminate all tackling from behind above the waist if the ball carriers is pulled backwards.

absolutely "YES" to #2..............hell no to #3......
    1-AA is tops!!

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    #3 is dumb, are they eventually going to eliminate all tackling from behind above the waist if the ball carriers is pulled backwards.
    Pretty much!

Quote Originally Posted by POD Knows View Post
    Agreed that is dumb. Were there a lot of injuries from horse collar tackles to begin with? I never heard of any. Just more feel good **** that looks like they are saving people from themselves again.

Also on #1 I'd just teach my center or guards to punch the guy jumping over in the nuts. That'll learn them.

NCAA Rules Committee: 3 Rule Recommendations

Really only on board with #2 tbh. Yeah leaping the line could be dangerous. I would argue it's more dangerous for a ball carrier to try to hurdle a tackler, and I doubt that will be brought up anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator View Post
    Agreed that is dumb. Were there a lot of injuries from horse collar tackles to begin with? I never heard of any. Just more feel good **** that looks like they are saving people from themselves again.
    Not sure if there were a lot of injuries, but there definitely were some, usually in the NFL. Roy Williams was pretty well-known for it.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...le-focus_x.htm