Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: Georgetown: New Football Facility In 2018

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    No basketball tourney this year for Georgetown. Isn't this the 2nd year in a row? JTIII going to be fired?
    As long as JT2 is around, probably not.

I've respected JT3 for many years, going back to his time as the head coach at Princeton, where I thought he did an excellent job. (By contrast, I really dislike JT2.) But JT3's concepts and recruiting, which work well at a school like Princeton, don't cut it at a program like Georgetown.

Quote Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
    As long as JT2 is around, probably not.
    Most agree that even if JTIII gets one more year, that's all he will get.

Anyone who wants to read more (i.e., pretty much everything that's been said), here's a link to the articles.

http://www.casualhoya.com/2017/3/9/1...n-thompson-iii

Should also add that if Princeton's Mitch Henderson gets a promotion, the Tigers may have an opening. They like JTIII and wouldn't mind him back. Also allows him to save face going back to his alma mater where he was happy.

Everyone wins.

On the Breast of Old South Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by bostonspider View Post
    Loyola and Hopkins both have nice stadiums..

Very nice. Loyola now a "full sport" member of the Patriot League, but I've heard nothing of any interest in adding football. JHU has been bandied about for many years as a potential PL member of the future. They do have decent D-III football program from what I know. Their lacrosse is D-I via grandfather clause, so I doubt they could join PL in football unless all sports would move up. Doubtful, but sure would be a nice nearby rival for the Hoyas.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by ngineer View Post
    Very nice. Loyola now a "full sport" member of the Patriot League, but I've heard nothing of any interest in adding football. JHU has been bandied about for many years as a potential PL member of the future. They do have decent D-III football program from what I know. Their lacrosse is D-I via grandfather clause, so I doubt they could join PL in football unless all sports would move up. Doubtful, but sure would be a nice nearby rival for the Hoyas.
    No chance for JHU. Basketball plays in a gym that most elementary schools outclass. Wrestling, well, same place, but that would most likely be dropped. Loyola adding football could be in the cards, but I doubt it based on the current legal/political environment around concussions and other injuries.

Loyola adding FCS level football probably would be a waste of money. Think about it Morgan State is already in Baltimore, Towson is a few miles north, Georgetown & Howard is in DC. No need in having a 5th FCS school in the region when VA has 4 FBS programs (UVA, Liberty, ODU & V-Tech), 5 FCS (NSU, JMU, Hampton, Richmond, VMI & W&M).

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony215 View Post
    Loyola adding FCS level football probably would be a waste of money. Think about it Morgan State is already in Baltimore, Towson is a few miles north, Georgetown & Howard is in DC. No need in having a 5th FCS school in the region when VA has 4 FBS programs (UVA, Liberty, ODU & V-Tech), 5 FCS (NSU, JMU, Hampton, Richmond, VMI & W&M).
    It's not about need, but interest. Football takes a distinct back seat in Baltimore County to lacrosse and Loyola has historically shown a mixed interest in athletics (no Patriot League pun intended).

An repeatable truth: the PL has no true expansion candidates given its business model. It won't seriously address the issue unless (and until) Georgetown leaves for the NEC or Fordham gets a call from the CAA.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    Football takes a distinct back seat in Baltimore County to lacrosse
    Best way to make me never want to live in a place? That quote right there haha. Substitute lacrosse with any other sport and it remains the same.

Football takes a back seat to NO SPORT...or I just cant live there!! God bless the South!
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

First Class FCS Ruler UIWWildthing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    Football takes a distinct back seat in Baltimore County to lacrosse.
    Truer words haven't been spoken. Lacrosse is HUGE around here (even have the Lacrosse Hall of Fame on Hopkins' campus), and Loyola has always been a "lacrosse school", with a national title to boot. Also, I can't ever see the Hounds adding football. Not sure if they would want the expense.

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    No basketball tourney this year for Georgetown. Isn't this the 2nd year in a row? JTIII going to be fired?
    YES.

https://hoopdirt.com/john-thompson-i...ch-georgetown/
    1-AA is tops!!