Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 (Way Too early) Colonial Athletic Football Conference Predictions

Its going to be one hell of a year in the CAA. Wooo!
    User formerly known as: UNHFan@RWU

"We're New Hampshire born and we're New Hampshire bred and when we die we'll be New Hampshire dead, so it's ra ra New Hampshire Hampshire, ra ra New Hampshire Hampshire, pride of the granite state !"

UNH again has a pretty favorable CAA slate. No UD, No Nova, No Richmond.

Id chalk that trip to JMU as a loss, and probably @ W&M as well considering history, but they could possibly sweep the rest of the slate considering whats returning.

Its safe to say UNH is the middle of the pack right now, but there is a lot of potential in the young squad. Seems like they are 1 yr away from being 2014 good again.
    User formerly known as: UNHFan@RWU

"We're New Hampshire born and we're New Hampshire bred and when we die we'll be New Hampshire dead, so it's ra ra New Hampshire Hampshire, ra ra New Hampshire Hampshire, pride of the granite state !"

First Class FCS Ruler DirtyDukes's Avatar

I'd like to predict Gangtackle gets SO SALTY when we score 80 on multiple opponents again next year

I'm actually kind of looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDukes View Post
    I'd like to predict Gangtackle gets SO SALTY when we score 80 on multiple opponents again next year

I'm actually kind of looking forward to it
    21 against Villanova will do it.
    Last edited by Gangtackle11; March 7th, 2017 at 12:46 PM.

First Class FCS Ruler UIWWildthing's Avatar

5 wins for us? If that happens I'll be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    .... too low. Maybe WM too but I need to see them improve first.
    Me too! 2016 team underachieved. New QB is the key question. High hopes for Rfr. Dean Rotger and true Frosh Shon Mitchell who is already in school. Soph. Brandon Battle and Jr. Tommy McKee also in mix. Only McKee has seen the field. Rotger excelled with scout team, and Mitchell is highly rated. Battle with terrific arm, but has been slow to develop. McKee was backup last year but lacks the arm of the others.
    Go Tribe!

Quote Originally Posted by Gangtackle11 View Post
    I'll take them one at a time. Villanova will beat Lehigh the same way as last season.

Running the football 50+ times. Lost some big names on defense, but the back 8 is essentially intact in their 3-3-5 except Calitro @ OLB. (Nova has depth there & the probable replacement was a stud in Pitt game). That will help slow down the Lehigh's pass offense. The front 3 have the biggest question marks especially with Kpassagnon taking his beastly act to the NFL.

As far as the CAA it's JMU on the top of hill & we'll sort out of the rest.
    I mean, that is the blueprint to beat us and until I see differently, I have to assume we will get ran on. That being said, anything could happen in one game at home. The offense could go off, penalties, turnovers. Not so much an issue for Nova, but for Lehigh this is the biggest game of the year as far as being tested on a national level. After this, not much will move the needle. Scheduling Wagner was a terrible mistake (but at least I can go to it).

Major FCS Ruler

UNH's biggest question mark is at QB also. The guy that is returning took the majority of snaps last season, but UNH Wildcat fans are all still prettr skeptical about Trevor Knight (the skinny guy from Nashua NH, not the guy at the NFL combine) The biggest moments for UNH last season occurred when the back-up Senior QB was playing, including 26 point 4th quarter blitzkrieg that fell a little short against JMU, The 4th Qtr comeback win to clinch the playoff slot vs Maine, and the big playoff victory over Lehigh. It remains to be seen if Knight will consistently put it together in his second season as a starter. He has very quick feet and can throw medium and short ranges passes accurately; however he tended to rush his throws to often and fail to see open receivers and bail out of the pocket too frequently.

Except for JMU, it'd very hard to handicap the CAA this season. Everyone else has too many question marks coming into the season. As far as the preseason predictions at the start of this thread; pure SWAG just to start a conversation. I agree with the JMU posts; I don't see them losing 2 conference games. Not impossible, but more likely I see someone sneaking out a win - I hope it occurs on Oct 28th. At 4-4, UNH is sold short, like normal in all these preseason predictions. If you've got some time on your hands, look at previous CAA seasons. I don't think we've had a season at or below .500 since the CAA starting sponsoring Football 11 seasons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    School Conf. Wins Conf. Losses
    Richmond 7 1
    Vilanova 6 2
    James Madison 6 2
    Stony Brook 5 3
    Towson 5 3
    New Hampshire 4 4
    Maine 4 4
    William & Mary 3 5
    Univ. Albany 2 6
    Delaware 2 6
    Elon 2 6
    Rhode Island 2 6
    Sleeper Elon, at least the appear to have a good coach now

To High - Richmond, Towson

No respect - JMU will dominate the CAA

but if - Delaware if they get a transfer QB, He wont need to be great just serviceable.... if this happens watch out....
    Delaware Bluehens RIP

hard for me to see JMU going 6-2, but crazier things have happened for sure. I probably would have said 7-1, with the loss not being a trap game, but a game against a contender. I don't see JMU losing many trap games as long as Houston is around.

what could doom JMU:

*an injury to Schor: we were almost f***ed when he got injured early against Villanova. Johnson pulled off the win, but do we really know much about him yet? any JMU fan that says they're convinced really doesn't know, I don't care what the coaches say about him. there is very little tape on him. it's a question mark until he plays well consistently against good teams. the D won the Villanova game he started and Elon was terrible.

*WRs not winning 50-50 balls: dominated this area last year like no JMU team ever has. Schor just chucks it up (especially on 3rd and long) and they always come down with it. not "every now and then" but "every game, multiple times per game". with a new crop of receivers, will they be able to do this?

*offensive line issues: we lose (technically) 3 starters, although Chavious started the entire postseason in place of Kirsch. JMU has had a good/very good OL for most of the past decade, i'm not terribly worried but it's something to watch.

*is Jimmy Moreland ready to be a #1 CB: he has the most terrible hands you've ever seen in your life, but he's always in position. he has good size, instincts, and athleticism. but he's also never been the man. is he up to it?