Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    FCS Champion

Re: 2017 (Too Early) SoCon Football Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by Bucs2016 View Post
    Yeah but that IS the feature of triple option. Most teams who face triple option and had close games probably have a similar stat. CSU played Citadel 4x, Wofford 1x and Kennessaw St 2x over the last few years, all close games. It was the same. 99% of the plays went for small gains if any. Then bam...we get hit. Its like a boxer setting up a knockout punch with jabs and rope a dopes.

When Citadel beat South Carolina in 2015 it was the same. The Gamecocks handled them pretty much the entire game. But they broke 2 long ass TD runs. Thats it. 2 runs. But the grinding kept USC offense off the field and it wore down and bored their defense. And then the knockout blow came. That's how TO works, its a brilliant and beautiful offense.

I may never get over Wofford beating CSU in the playoffs last year haha. So frustrating defending them!
    I am not disputing the point you have been making but you either didn't watch the game or forgot and the USC game is not a perfect example to prove your point. They did a lot of things, but handle the TO? No they did not. We had one drive where we had 8, 9 10, 11 yard runs over and over again all the way down the field. That is not handling us. They had some serious problems stopping us, to the tune of 350 yards. We did have a couple big plays, but lots of medium yard ones as well. Take away the big TD runs (56 and 59 yards) and Renew is still over 5 Yds a run and Jackson is over 4.

But to get back to your point, I agree with it pretty much. A defense can either be effective against the run every play, or not. If they are effective, they can either give up the odd big play or not. All depends on how good their concentration, conditioning and depth are.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    I am not disputing the point you have been making but you either didn't watch the game or forgot and the USC game is not a perfect example to prove your point. They did a lot of things, but handle the TO? No they did not. We had one drive where we had 8, 9 10, 11 yard runs over and over again all the way down the field. That is not handling us. They had some serious problems stopping us, to the tune of 350 yards. We did have a couple big plays, but lots of medium yard ones as well. Take away the big TD runs (56 and 59 yards) and Renew is still over 5 Yds a run and Jackson is over 4.

But to get back to your point, I agree with it pretty much. A defense can either be effective against the run every play, or not. If they are effective, they can either give up the odd big play or not. All depends on how good their concentration, conditioning and depth are.
    I meant by the score. Yes yall moved the ball but like anyone facing it, its ok to give up some drives but not points. As for the score USC did "handle" it...except for those 2 long runs. Which as I said...is the hallmark of T.O. football.

You nailed it. Concentration. It almost lulls you to sleep. Or...gets players excited because they're "shutting it down" and guys speed up and over pursue...then bam. 80 yd TD.
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    School Conference Wins Conference Losses
    Samford 7 1
    Chattanooga 6 2
    The Citadel 6 2
    Furman 5 3
    Wofford 4 4
    Mercer 3 5
    Western Carolina 3 5
    ETSU 2 6
    VMI 1 7

Too Early Projections - SoCon 2017
    It's hard to agree with a prediction where the team that went the farthest in the playoffs is predicted to have 4 conference losses, while a team that lost to ETSU and made its usual early playoff exit is picked 1st.

Coach wach will have an offensive playbook ready for the loss of Cobb, Forlines, Sanders, Swingle......look for a lot less shotgun (); more plays w/FB or H-Back in backfield at the snap, less plays snapping the ball with 16+ seconds on the play clock.....DO NOT SEE another 1-7 campaign....
    1-AA is tops!!

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    It's hard to agree with a prediction where the team that went the farthest in the playoffs is predicted to have 4 conference losses, while a team that lost to ETSU and made its usual early playoff exit is picked 1st.
    That QB yall have taking over (#8 isnt it?) is gonna be a nightmare for opponents.
    Yeah our stadium is a dump. But your mama has season tickets.

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kdinva View Post
    Coach wach will have an offensive playbook ready for the loss of Cobb, Forlines, Sanders, Swingle......look for a lot less shotgun (); more plays w/FB or H-Back in backfield at the snap, less plays snapping the ball with 16+ seconds on the play clock.....DO NOT SEE another 1-7 campaign....
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    To put it simply, if Samford wants to be taken seriously on a national scale, you do not lose to ETSU.

But, I agree with you, Samford is developing a reputation as a paper tiger that makes a lot of noise in the preseason, but does not back it up when it matters. Wofford is the opposite. Rarely a lot of noise, but just keeps winning.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    To put it simply, if Samford wants to be taken seriously on a national scale, you do not lose to ETSU.

But, I agree with you, Samford is developing a reputation as a paper tiger that makes a lot of noise in the preseason, but does not back it up when it matters. Wofford is the opposite. Rarely a lot of noise, but just keeps winning.
    These are really good points. I think it is obvious that Samford kicked back at the ETSU game and/or were looking forward. Not saying ETSU is horrible, they were ok in their second season, but Samford should have handled them. Samford has underwhelmed a lot the last 3-4 years. They have talent to be sure so why they can't put it together, I don't know. I want to say that maybe they need to lay off the transfers and do a better job recruiting. I think they have had quite a bit the last few years, but not sure of the actual number. Not saying that transfers would want to win, but I personally believe that teams that grow up together win together more easily. There is obviously some mental issue involved with Samford lately.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    These are really good points. I think it is obvious that Samford kicked back at the ETSU game and/or were looking forward. Not saying ETSU is horrible, they were ok in their second season, but Samford should have handled them. Samford has underwhelmed a lot the last 3-4 years. They have talent to be sure so why they can't put it together, I don't know. I want to say that maybe they need to lay off the transfers and do a better job recruiting. I think they have had quite a bit the last few years, but not sure of the actual number. Not saying that transfers would want to win, but I personally believe that teams that grow up together win together more easily. There is obviously some mental issue involved with Samford lately.
    Transitive properties don't work in football, but I'm going to use it anyway.

Teams that are true contenders don't screw around with less talented teams. Wofford, for instance, trounced ETSU. They trounced Western Carolina. They shutout VMI (who is plucky enough to hang around good teams but not good enough to beat them).

Bad games happen. Sometimes things are not clicking. But even in those moments, when you have the more talented team, you should still be able to win the football game even if you are not at your best. To let an inferior team beat you with the season on the line is just inexcusable. You can tell me all day long that Samford has the league's best coaching staff, but that game right there tells me they don't.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Master FCS Advocate youcanbankit's Avatar

[QUOTE=PaladinFan;2462158]To put it simply, if Samford wants to be taken seriously on a national scale, you do not lose to ETSU.

But, I agree with you, Samford is developing a reputation as a paper tiger that makes a lot of noise in the preseason, but does not back it up when it matters. Wofford is the opposite. Rarely a lot of noise, but just keeps winning.[/QUOTE/]

HEHEHE!!! Give everyone a break on the ETSU loss. It was a fluke. Furman lost to Upstart Mercer in 2015. Citadel lost to unranked Old dominion in 2013.

Upsets Happen. The paper tiger Beat Furman the past few years and the Citadel is break even with Samford the past few.

Wofford is the opposite? Wofford is 1-4 the past five years versus Samford. Be reasonable man.