Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
I am not disputing the point you have been making but you either didn't watch the game or forgot and the USC game is not a perfect example to prove your point. They did a lot of things, but handle the TO? No they did not. We had one drive where we had 8, 9 10, 11 yard runs over and over again all the way down the field. That is not handling us. They had some serious problems stopping us, to the tune of 350 yards. We did have a couple big plays, but lots of medium yard ones as well. Take away the big TD runs (56 and 59 yards) and Renew is still over 5 Yds a run and Jackson is over 4.

But to get back to your point, I agree with it pretty much. A defense can either be effective against the run every play, or not. If they are effective, they can either give up the odd big play or not. All depends on how good their concentration, conditioning and depth are.
I meant by the score. Yes yall moved the ball but like anyone facing it, its ok to give up some drives but not points. As for the score USC did "handle" it...except for those 2 long runs. Which as I said...is the hallmark of T.O. football.

You nailed it. Concentration. It almost lulls you to sleep. Or...gets players excited because they're "shutting it down" and guys speed up and over pursue...then bam. 80 yd TD.