Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast
    Master FCS Advocate youcanbankit's Avatar

Re: 2017 (Too Early) SoCon Football Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Unsurprising move. Division 1 football has exploded in terms of programs and scholarship opportunities the last 15-20 years, especially in the deep south.

I think to stay relevant programs are having to refocus their recruiting on smaller athletic players that are more widely available and not in high demand by bigger programs. One solution is to move to more of an option-based offense. I think you are just going to see the pro-style offense just sort of disappear at this level. Sad, but a reality of FCS football in 2017.
    True.

There are also more kids coming out of high school each year. Population growth, more quantity could mean more quality. Improvements in college programs also contribute to closing the gap. Population growth should mean a slow upgrade of athletes along with improving football programs at the high school level if alternative sports, video gaming, and the risk of injury being elevated and discussed doesn't slow it down.

1-AA is tops!!

FCS Expert

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon...hasing-history

Newsome will only need 1,933 all purpose yards to become the SoCon's all time leader. I thought at first this would be hard to get however last season they reported he was able to get 2,343 yards

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post

Newsome will only need 1,933 all purpose yards to become the SoCon's all time leader. I thought at first this would be hard to get however last season they reported he was able to get 2,343 yards

Fantastic for him, and fantastic for the program. I hope he gets there........against Mercer, Furman, or the Citadel!!!!

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post

He can be a beast. I think he had a little bit of pressure on him last year. He chocked a couple times with fumbles but a real talented guy to be sure. Between your young QB and him it will be interesting. Especially if get your D going.

Mr. Massey sez...

What do y'all think? Is he right?
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Mr. Massey sez...

Dang, I missed that he came out with the updates. As good as anyone's guess. Waaaay too many changes for anyone to be accurate at this point. I do not think Wofford will go undefeated in conference, nor will ETSU go winless. I think it will be a slugfest and the difference between most teams, besides ETSU, are much smaller than last year. And there were already pretty small differences last year overall, as we saw. I think it may be wide open. Furman and WCU will be better. Mercer may be off a bit after their first class graduated. If Samford comes together, finally, they could very well take it. Cid, Chatty or Woof, one of them, may very well be off.

No matter how you slice it, it is going to be fun. Probably the most competitive conference out there. Not a very impressive OOC FCS schedule this year though. JMU and JSU are about it for power games. That may hurt in perception and ratings. Lots of hard FBS games.

AGS President of the Confederate States of America citdog's Avatar

The SoCon will be tough yet again. MANY unknowns for a great many programs. Can Arth win immediately 2 Subdivisions up? Can Hendrix turn furman around after a late start to his regime? Can a Hatcher coached team outscore their opponent every week because we know they aren't playing much defense? Will Adams be quarterbacking the Catamounts this fall? Who replaces Long at Wofford? Can the Terriers replace most of their defensive line and three good players from their offensive line? VMI is going to be a lot more run heavy than in the past and they will be tough. ETSU is a year older and Torbush and company will beat someone they probably shouldn't. How well has The Citadel recruited these last two years? We are going to find out at Field Corner and at a couple of spots on the offensive line. Senior Qb Allen returns along with Cam Jackson in the backfield. Mercer will have a lot of new faces as well and it will be strange to see them with a different Qb.
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Mr. Massey sez...

Usually gets about 50% correct, so some validity. 50% of the Massey 2016 preseason FCS top 10...... ended up in the top ten.

Example - 2016 Massey Top Ten versus 2016 Actual

Wofford
    I think Wofford is the biggest mover on the rankings, have them lower than where Massey ranks them. Wofford tends to struggle at home when they shouldn't (they have Furman, Western Carolina, Samford and Chattanooga at home in 2017) and their defense will be down from last year. See them losing 2or3 of the 4 at home. They have The Citadel, Mercer, VMI, and ETSU away. Have them losing 1or2 of those 4. Ayers win percentage migrates back toward 50%. 4-4. in the SoCon and 6-5 overall.

Chattanooga
    Have them running the table at home and losing 2 of 4 on the road. 6-2 in the SoCon, 7-4 overall.

The Citadel
    Have them 3-1 at home and 3-1 on the road, 6-2 in the SoCon. 8-3 overall.
    Last edited by youcanbankit; May 9th, 2017 at 10:20 AM.