Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Big South football

No comment on GU's equivalency level?

If the over/under is 25, how would you bet?

Quote Originally Posted by DFW HOYA View Post
    That's the Big East, not the PL. Funny how no one here ever complains that Georgetown's soccer team or women's track team isn't filled with 1400+ SAT players.

When was this? The Ivy, er...PL Index since 2001 would have Georgetown at somewhere between a 210-213 index and there's almost no room at that band for Georgetown, though it's more likely at Fordham because their SAT range is much lower. I don't think Georgetown recruits a lot of kids looking at the PSAC these days, but it doesn't recruit the Northeast as a whole as it used to.
    This was back in 2003 and I was there with a few other kids from Philly who were on that recruiting trip including 2 who picked Lafayette over the Georgetown offer due to the poor facilities and the rest choose PSAC schools who offered them scholarships. They invited about 30 players from the Southeastern PA area for a game against Towson before they renovated their stadium and renamed it the Multi-Purpose field. At that time it consisted of about 10 row metal bleachers hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony215 View Post
    If the administration wanted to find a way for Georgetown to be competitive in the PL or competitive period they'd find a way to get recruits into the program who could help them win and shed their dreadful history of being bottom feeders. Their basketball program I'm sure isn't full of 1400+ SAT guys. My brother was recruited by Georgetown for football along with a host of PSAC D2 schools and Georgetown told him their cut off for SAT scores was just 1000. He missed the cut off by 40 points and ended up having a pretty good career at a D2 school after turning down a walk on opportunity at local Temple
    Are we talking about a 960? In my experience Georgetown wouldn't even talk to a football player with a 960 as they would have no chance. I personally know individuals with much higher scores who were told they have no chance (and this was in the pre PL days).

Quote Originally Posted by Franks Tanks View Post
    Are we talking about a 960? In my experience Georgetown wouldn't even talk to a football player with a 960 as they would have no chance. I personally know individuals with much higher scores who were told they have no chance (and this was in the pre PL days).
    Yup a 960 they explained they had a bar and 1000 was the minimum they could go for a top recruit, but they did acknowledge that most recruits needed to score higher than the 1000. The 2 kids who went on to Lafayette scored 1090 and 1150 respectively and one of them went on to be an FCS All American and All-Patriot League player before jumping into coaching at Lafayette and now at a local D2 school.

Yup a 960 they explained they had a bar and 1000 was the minimum they could go for a top recruit, but they did acknowledge that most recruits needed to score higher than the 1000. The 2 kids who went on to Lafayette scored 1090 and 1150 respectively and one of them went on to be an FCS All American and All-Patriot League player before jumping into coaching at Lafayette and now at a local D2 school.
    Ok, well I know who coaches at the D2 school. Not personally but know who you're talking about. Not going to argue about things that transpired 15 plus years ago with someone on a message board, but my experience and the experience of others I know personally was different.

Quote Originally Posted by Franks Tanks View Post
    Ok, well I know who coaches at the D2 school. Not personally but know who you're talking about. Not going to argue about things that transpired 15 plus years ago with someone on a message board, but my experience and the experience of others I know personally was different.
    I hear ya I'm sure all the players are glad they choose other schools playing for meaningful championships than having been a 1-2 win team a season in DC those 4-5 years. Honestly they could have been telling my brother that with the hopes that he'd score much higher than their "minimum requirement of 1000". Regardless I can't blame them for wanting the best academic proven student athletes but feel they need to look to the IVY League or Pioneer League where they have a much better chance at competing. The school has tons of money so the traveling cost won't be an issue if they went the Pioneer route and had to travel every other year out West to California.

The school has tons of money so the traveling cost won't be an issue if they went the Pioneer route and had to travel every other year out West to California.
    If they can send a soccer team to DePaul, they can send a football team to Valparaiso. If they can play volleyball at Creighton, they can play football at Drake. If their baseball can travel to Butler...

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    If they can send a soccer team to DePaul, they can send a football team to Valparaiso. If they can play volleyball at Creighton, they can play football at Drake. If their baseball can travel to Butler...

It bears repeating: Georgetown continues to have no interest in the Pioneer due to Georgetown's commitment to financial aid equivalencies . A soccer team goes to DePaul because it is a conference requirement and has support from the Fox TV contract to do so. That support does not extend to football and the handful of other sports not in the Big East.

They invited about 30 players from the Southeastern PA area for a game against Towson before they renovated their stadium and renamed it the Multi-Purpose field. At that time it consisted of about 10 row metal bleachers hahahaha.
    That's not the Multi-Sport Field but Kehoe Field, which was abandoned after the 2002 season and remains a safety hazard. It's a long story but the subject of an editorial today in the student newspaper:

http://www.thehoya.com/editorial-keh...our-community/

A photo of the Kehoe turf makes this case:

http://www.thehoya.com/wp-content/up.../01/kehoe4.png
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

AGS Circle of Influence Member

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    I would think they would have to upgrade their stadium A LOT. When I attended a game there in 2013, my "seat" on the visitors side was a large timber embedded into the slightly sloping ground behind the Visitors bench.

Buildings on campus looked cool though and I certainly enjoyed tailgating on the banks of the Hudson River.
    I can't believe programs/schools are allowed to function at a D1 athletic level with stadiums/resources like this.

I get the Dayton rule, but I hate it.

Get rid of it, allow these slap D programs that don't want to fund themselves properly for D1 football play D2 or D3. Just cap the amount they can spend on football from their athletic budget compared to everyone else. That's why the rule went in in the first place - To keep a basketball program like Dayton from funding D3 football.

Make it so the most a D1 can spend at a D2 or D3 level the average of the top 5 of that division. I'd bet most don't even meet that requirement.

I used to care about UNI football. May well again some day....

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    I can't believe programs/schools are allowed to function at a D1 athletic level with stadiums/resources like this.

I get the Dayton rule, but I hate it.

Get rid of it, allow these slap D programs that don't want to fund themselves properly for D1 football play D2 or D3. Just cap the amount they can spend on football from their athletic budget compared to everyone else. That's why the rule went in in the first place - To keep a basketball program like Dayton from funding D3 football.

Make it so the most a D1 can spend at a D2 or D3 level the average of the top 5 of that division. I'd bet most don't even meet that requirement.
    Just remembered...it wasn't a "timber." It was an concrete column embedded in the ground. Sorry for the inaccuracy. Didn't mean to defame my Red Foxes friends.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.