Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big South football

First Class FCS Ruler Sir William's Avatar

Big South football

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to Big South football over the next few seasons. While they've added Kennesaw State, Campbell and North Alabama, they've lost Coastal and Liberty, and Chuck South lost the only successful coach in its history, along with several significant assistants.

Predictions:
    1) Chuck South returns to its losing ways.

2) Kennesaw and UNA become the perennial conference championship contenders.

3) Monmouth leaves in few years when invited to the NEC.

4) Jacksonville follows Campbell's lead and joins conference for football in couple of years.

5) West Georgia follows UNA's lead and transitions to D1/FCS and joins conference for football in couple of years.

6) Campbell begins seeking SoCon membership within 5-6 years. (Not saying they necessarily get invited.)

What else?
    Last edited by Sir William; February 16th, 2017 at 06:43 PM.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Re: Big South football

Quote Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
    It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to Big South football over the next few seasons. While they've added Kennesaw State, Campbell and North Alabama, they've lost Coastal and Liberty and they've also lost the only successful coach in Chuck South history.

Predictions:
    1) Chuck South returns to their losing ways.

4) Jacksonville follows Campbell's lead and joins conference for football in couple of years.

5) West Georgia follows UNA's lead and transitions to D1/FCS and joins conference for football in couple of years.

6) Campbell begins seeking SoCon membership within 5-6 years. (Not saying they necessarily get invited.)

What else?
    No idea about #1 - They obviously lost most of their Coaching Staff + the Headman. Not sure about #6 - I don't know that Campbell will be any more or less interested in joining the SoCon than any of the other Big South schools. I'm SoCon-Centric (so, therefore, biased) so I would think all of the current and future Big South Members, with the exception of Monmouth, would prefer to be in the SoCon over the Big South. Maybe not.

I think 2-5 are spot on...except I don't know that Monmouth goes NEC. Didn't they leave the NEC? Not sure...anyway, I could just as well see them in the Patriot or the CAA, but all those schools/conferences north of NC just run together for me (sorry for sounding a tad like Citdog, but I'm being honest...about my (chosen) ignorance). Hey, maybe Monmouth will join the Ivies (just kidding).
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

Watch for Jacksonville.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

My Team
    North Alabama

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to Big South football over the next few seasons. While they've added Kennesaw State, Campbell and North Alabama, they've lost Coastal and Liberty, and Chuck South lost the only successful coach in its history, along with several significant assistants.

Predictions:

What else?

I'm not so sure on this one. They seem pretty firm in their decision not to fund football scholarships. This was the major reason Kerwin Bell quit last year and went to Valdosta State.
    ROAR LIONS!

My Team
    Coastal Carolina

RIP Big South. It wasn't good knowing ya.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    No idea about #1 - They obviously lost most of their Coaching Staff + the Headman. Not sure about #6 - I don't know that Campbell will be any more or less interested in joining the SoCon than any of the other Big South schools. I'm SoCon-Centric (so, therefore, biased) so I would think all of the current and future Big South Members, with the exception of Monmouth, would prefer to be in the SoCon over the Big South. Maybe not.

I think 2-5 are spot on...except I don't know that Monmouth goes NEC. Didn't they leave the NEC? Not sure...anyway, I could just as well see them in the Patriot or the CAA, but all those schools/conferences north of NC just run together for me (sorry for sounding a tad like Citdog, but I'm being honest...about my (chosen) ignorance). Hey, maybe Monmouth will join the Ivies (just kidding).
    Monmouth is not joining the Patriot League, unless something happens to Georgetown and the league is forced to add another member.

Top FCS Advocate NorthChuckSouth's Avatar
    My Team
    Charleston Southern

Predictions:

What else?
    Still got the same players. I don't expect anything less than a 3-peat.

First Class FCS Ruler Catamount87's Avatar
    My Team
    Western Carolina

On the Campbell idea, there's that supposed SoCon balance between public and private schools issue that would possibly come into play. Then there's the SoCon footprint. Would the SoCon want to add another NC school, especially one located in a media market that ignores them?

Of course the idea not presented would be the Big South merging with another conference like the SoCon. Given that 1) apparently the SoCon didn't want Kennesaw St because of an apparent desire to only use FCS as a stepping stone, 2) the loss of CCU and soon Liberty, 3) relative weakness in the remaining football programs at Presbyterian, G-W and Monmouth and 4) Monmouth being a footprint outlier, a SoCon/Big South merger seems a bit unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Catamount87 View Post
    On the Campbell idea, there's that supposed SoCon balance between public and private schools issue that would possibly come into play. Then there's the SoCon footprint. Would the SoCon want to add another NC school, especially one located in a media market that ignores them?

Of course the idea not presented would be the Big South merging with another conference like the SoCon. Given that 1) apparently the SoCon didn't want Kennesaw St because of an apparent desire to only use FCS as a stepping stone, 2) the loss of CCU and soon Liberty, 3) relative weakness in the remaining football programs at Presbyterian, G-W and Monmouth and 4) Monmouth being a footprint outlier, a SoCon/Big South merger seems a bit unlikely.
    I could see the SoCon having a lot of interest in Kennesaw State. Metro Atlanta is home to a lot of SoCon member alumni. If KSU is interested in staying with FCS football, they'd be a good one to target.

With 9 member football schools, you could potentially push that number to 12. Just because I like making things up:

SoCon West

Samford
    UTC
    Jacksonville State
    Kennesaw State
    Mercer
    ETSU

SoCon East

Furman
    Wofford
    the Citadel
    VMI
    Western Carolina
    Campbell/PC/GWU

Play everyone in your division, and a few cross over games a year.
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by Franks Tanks View Post
    Monmouth is not joining the Patriot League, unless something happens to Georgetown and the league is forced to add another member.
    At some point the Patriot (and Georgetown) has to come to the reality that Georgetown is increasingly non-competitive with an NEC budget and an Ivy League admissions policy, either of which are incongruous with today's high-budget PL. Maybe the NEC would be interested in bringing them on, the Ivy less so.

I really don't see Monmouth as interested in the PL. As Rev. John Brooks famously said, "We have set a course for others to follow. So far, no one has followed."
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."