Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    FCS Master

Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

Since your new here, people here (including me) have been putting Samford up at the top of the conference for the past 2 or 3 years. It hasn't happened yet and until they can soundly beat UTC or Cit, they will be at best 3rd or 4th in the league.

Samford is a paper tiger. They are a team that looks great on a stat sheet, but seemingly folds every year at crunch time.

In 2016, their defense surrendered over 27 points and 420 yards a game. The Bulldogs also have the luxury of not playing their offense. That is, they were one of the SoCon's worst defenses despite not ever playing the league's best offense (their own).

Can anyone in good conscience pick a team that doesn't play any defense and has a tendency to fall apart late in the season?

When the preseason picks come out, I would be stunned to see anyone pick them above Wofford, Citadel, and Chattanooga. They will certainly have a QB that is going to put up stellar numbers, but so did Elon. That may be enough to get you to the post season, but it sure isn't going to be enough to win when you get there.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Since your new here, people here (including me) have been putting Samford up at the top of the conference for the past 2 or 3 years. It hasn't happened yet and until they can soundly beat UTC or Cit, they will be at best 3rd or 4th in the league.
    I had Samford ranked in my top 15 at the beginning of last year.....
    Just because you are offended doesn't mean you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    You lost me at #1. Hatcher is the same guy who took 2 years to figure out that Jayson Foster wasn't a wide receiver.

The SoCon now belongs to The Citadel. You are ALL looking up at the Cadets.
    Until the playoffs😄

Master FCS Advocate youcanbankit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
    Good point. The pieces are assembled now. Soon to find out. UTC and Citadel are definitely strong programs, and other SoCON teams rebuilding. The conference gets stronger each year.
    Last edited by youcanbankit; February 11th, 2017 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    Until the playoffs
    Hatcher knows how to win the big game. Needed a run game to put away teams. He understands that, and has made moves to correct. Strong Talent added last year and this year. They will average 6'5 - 308 on offensive line this year, including a University of Miami OL transfer and the highest ranked center signed in 2016 in the SoCon. OL will be tougher, faster and bigger than ever. Also added an SEC back to the mix as a transfer. Special Teams will be much better with the past two year additions. Defense will be the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
    I had Samford ranked in my top 15 at the beginning of last year.....
    Not far off with them finishing in the top 25. They will be much better this year. 7-5 last year. Predicting a 9-2 finish. Should be first in the SoCon.

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    Hatcher knows how to win the big game. Needed a run game to put away teams. He understands that, and has made moves to correct. Strong Talent added last year and this year. They will average 6'5 - 308 on offensive line this year, including a University of Miami OL transfer and the highest ranked center signed in 2016 in the SoCon. OL will be tougher, faster and bigger than ever. Also added an SEC back to the mix as a transfer. Special Teams will be much better with the past two year additions. Defense will be the question.
    Just my opinion (and a few others on here, I suppose), but an offensive lineman's height and weight matter very little. If a guy is of significant size and is passed up by the big programs, he may well have a hole in his game. I don't think even the Atlanta Falcons average 6'5 308 on their offensive line. There are, of course, exceptions.

I'm also typically underwhelmed by transfers. I've said on here dozens of times that you could probably count the truly impact transfers in the SoCon on one hand. Many times those guys either come with baggage or simply weren't good enough to play where they started.

Further, I often find that transfers, like big trade-deadline acquisitions in baseball, indicate that the acquiring team has some major gaps in their roster. I think without dispute, teams that build their roster with a heavy dose of transfer players rarely (if ever) succeed at this level.

As you note, the issue is going to be the defense. I would say that is always the issue with a team coached by Chris Hatcher. Hatcher most certainly does not have a track record of winning the big game. He's a good coach, but Valdosta State was a long time ago and with very different restrictions on who he could bring it to play.
    FU all the time.

"It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Samford is a paper tiger. They are a team that looks great on a stat sheet, but seemingly folds every year at crunch time.

In 2016, their defense surrendered over 27 points and 420 yards a game. The Bulldogs also have the luxury of not playing their offense. That is, they were one of the SoCon's worst defenses despite not ever playing the league's best offense (their own).

Can anyone in good conscience pick a team that doesn't play any defense and has a tendency to fall apart late in the season?

When the preseason picks come out, I would be stunned to see anyone pick them above Wofford, Citadel, and Chattanooga. They will certainly have a QB that is going to put up stellar numbers, but so did Elon. That may be enough to get you to the post season, but it sure isn't going to be enough to win when you get there.
    Excellent points. All are true. A couple of key points to consider....... What caused Samford to fail in close games was lack of a running game, which hurt in two ways: first, time of possession and second, kept their defense on the field way too long. That will change this year. The preseason OLINE average 6-5 315 (not 308) is fast, stronger and meaner than last year. A transfer running back from Tennessee, a transferring O linemen from Miami, the #33 center in the nation in High School in 2016 (now a sophomore), will all contribute to moving the ball on the ground. This makes their already stellar offense and all american quarterback even better. Their defense will be significantly improved overall as well. Transfers from Arkansas and stellar linebackers returning, more speed and size in the secondary make for an improved defense. I expect Samford to be in the top 25 nationally in the preseason polls and finish 9-2 over all. That should get them a SoCon title. They do have a difficult schedule though (The SOCON always is) but they are playing 5 top 30 teams in the FCS and that does not include their game against the University of Georgia this year. Georgia is ranked somewhere between 7th and 17th depending on which poll you read. Tough road ahead, but they are prepped to move to the top.
    Last edited by youcanbankit; February 11th, 2017 at 09:08 AM.

Re: SAMFORD

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    A transfer running back from Tennessee, a transferring O linemen from Miami...... Transfers from Arkansas and .
    ....and the beat goes on....
    1-AA is tops!!