Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 218
  1. #161
    AGS FCS Master walliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Transylvania NC
    Posts
    4,950

    Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    SoCon Football 2017 Projected Results

    Team SoCon Record Pct Overall Regular
    Season Record
    Pct
    Chattanooga 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    ETSU 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    Furman 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    Mercer 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    Samford 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    The Citadel 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    VMI 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    Western Carolina 4-4 .500 8-4 .667
    Wofford 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    *All 9 SoCon Teams selected to FCS Playoff Field
    This would require the Citadel beating Clemson and Wofford beating South Carolina. In this scenario, which of the two teams would win the National Championship of the Sovereign State of South Carolina?
    Fortunately for us, the visiting team won both times last year.

    I guess WCU's extra win would give them the autobid.

  2. #162
    AGS FCS Champion PaladinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,378

    Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

    Speaking of South Carolina teams -

    I just took a look at Coastal's 2017 schedule. Almost a full slate of current, future, and recent FCS/1AA teams. http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-17/2...l-schedule.php

    Explain to me again how that schedule is discernibly different from any FCS schedule?
    FU all the time.

    "It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

    "The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

  3. #163
    Major FCS Ruler FUBeAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    1,345

    Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by walliver View Post
    This would require the Citadel beating Clemson and Wofford beating South Carolina. In this scenario, which of the two teams would win the National Championship of the Sovereign State of South Carolina?
    Fortunately for us, the visiting team won both times last year.

    I guess WCU's extra win would give them the autobid.
    As my prediction (implied & post-editing of an earlier posted mistake) includes all SoCon Teams winning all of their Home Games, then, I'm sorry (VERY sorry), Walliver, but the Bellhops are going to take that crown this year - IF you are exempting Furman who beats the LuggageSchleppers, but loses to the AnkleBiters - and CCU, PC, and SC State. Maybe, though, your PorchYappers can get 'em back (again) in the 2017 Playoffs.

    BTW - This prediction also includes Mercer beating Alabama, Auburn, and Samford. So...if we assume they beat JaxSt in the Playoffs, I guess the Bears could be Alabama State Champs (exempting UAB, USA, AL A&M, ALSt...and any others I missed).

    As far as the SoCon AutoBid, WCU does play @ Hawaii, so they do get that extra game allowed by the NCAA, but I'm not sure if Overall Winning % is part of the SoCon tie-breaking formula. If so, then you are correct. If not, then my prediction is that Deep Blue will be retained to determine the SoCon AutoBid...and when it returns the blue screen of death, the FCS Selection Committee will grant AutoBids to all 9 SoCon Teams. And, all Teams & Fans of the MVFC, the CAA, and the Big Sky will clearly see that this is the only reasonable solution and will support the Committee's decision 100%
    Last edited by FUBeAR; March 16th, 2017 at 10:18 AM.
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.


  4. #164
    Top FCS Advocate youcanbankit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    283

    Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    SoCon Football 2017 Projected Results

    Team SoCon Record Pct Overall Regular
    Season Record
    Pct
    Chattanooga 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    ETSU 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    Furman 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    Mercer 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    Samford 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    The Citadel 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    VMI 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    Western Carolina 4-4 .500 8-4 .667
    Wofford 4-4 .500 7-4 .636
    *All 9 SoCon Teams selected to FCS Playoff Field

    I love this. No real picks, but love it.
    Last edited by youcanbankit; March 21st, 2017 at 05:20 PM.

  5. #165
    Top FCS Advocate youcanbankit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    283

    Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    It's March?
    Still no prediction? Come on PF, what say ye?

  6. #166
    AGS FCS Champion PaladinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,378

    Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    Still no prediction? Come on PF, what say ye?
    Still March.
    FU all the time.

    "It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

    "The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

  7. #167
    Top FCS Advocate youcanbankit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    283

    Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Still March.
    I understand. That's a very careful and pusillanimous approach. Its just a prediction and us having fun.

    Anyway...No rush. Join the fray if and when your up to it.

  8. #168
    AGS FCS Champion PaladinFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,378

    Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    I understand. That's a very careful and pusillanimous approach. Its just a prediction and us having fun.

    Anyway...No rush. Join the fray if and when your up to it.
    Let me put it this way.

    I don't know enough about what the other teams in the SoCon are doing at this point in the season. I stay fairly well abreast of what Furman is doing, but with a new coaching staff and new systems, I am not completely sure how to even gauge the team I follow most closely.

    I can go off what I've seen. At this point, my general thoughts are these:

    1. WCU has some players, but they have a long way to go on defense. I don't know if one offseason will cure that problem.

    2. Wofford is always tough to bet against.

    3. Samford has as much talent as anyone, but I have reservations about their system and whether you can do what they do and have long term success or consistently beat good teams that punish your inability to stop the run.

    4. I didn't think ETSU was very good last year, and showed very little fight against a bad Furman team. They then did better than expected against Samford and Mercer. Does that say more about ETSU, or more about Samford and Mercer? I have no idea.

    5. I like VMI's tenacity, but they lose the guy that really carried their team the last few years. Obviously Al Cobb wasn't going to play forever, but how ready are the Keydets to move on without him?

    6. I think UTC has lost a lot of its core players, and there is an open question on whether their window is closing or they have positioned themselves for long-term success. The loss of an alum coach to an FCS program is concerning coming off another good year.

    7. I have no idea what Furman will look like. I think the Paladins have a good bit of talent, but coaching and execution have been lacking the last few years. With new coordinators and a new philosophy, I think Furman could make up ground extremely quickly. Then again, they may have a season or two of growing pains.

    Generally speaking, I think you have to look at UTC, the Citadel, Wofford and Samford as the likely "favorites" going into 2017. Again, I don't think it is necessarily good for Samford to be in close competition with teams that run the ball well and are sound defensively. I think Furman and Mercer will start in that middle tier, but I believe the Paladins have the higher ceiling right now and could close the gap quickly. Mercer should be good, but I think has a little more uncertainty than Furman does. WCU is more talented than VMI and ETSU, but is less of a complete team than Mercer.
    FU all the time.

    "It's not like we didn't know what was coming. We just couldn't stop them" -WCU head coach Kent Briggs

    "The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

  9. #169
    AGS FCS Master JSUSoutherner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    In Hell preparing rooms for OVC officials.
    Posts
    4,623

    Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    As my prediction (implied & post-editing of an earlier posted mistake) includes all SoCon Teams winning all of their Home Games, then, I'm sorry (VERY sorry), Walliver, but the Bellhops are going to take that crown this year - IF you are exempting Furman who beats the LuggageSchleppers, but loses to the AnkleBiters - and CCU, PC, and SC State. Maybe, though, your PorchYappers can get 'em back (again) in the 2017 Playoffs.

    BTW - This prediction also includes Mercer beating Alabama, Auburn, and Samford. So...if we assume they beat JaxSt in the Playoffs, I guess the Bears could be Alabama State Champs (exempting UAB, USA, AL A&M, ALSt...and any others I missed).


    As far as the SoCon AutoBid, WCU does play @ Hawaii, so they do get that extra game allowed by the NCAA, but I'm not sure if Overall Winning % is part of the SoCon tie-breaking formula. If so, then you are correct. If not, then my prediction is that Deep Blue will be retained to determine the SoCon AutoBid...and when it returns the blue screen of death, the FCS Selection Committee will grant AutoBids to all 9 SoCon Teams. And, all Teams & Fans of the MVFC, the CAA, and the Big Sky will clearly see that this is the only reasonable solution and will support the Committee's decision 100%
    Yeah, ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by chattownmocs View Post
    Grass is a disaster. He has 2 senior RBs and he brought in an auburn reject to be his starter. It's sad how in shambles your roster is right now. And it happened so quickly. Pathetic. I guess you should expect it from a career high school coach. Who btw, underachieved in high school. What a loser.


  10. #170
    AGS FCS Master walliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Transylvania NC
    Posts
    4,950

    Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

    Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    ...
    far as the SoCon AutoBid, WCU does play @ Hawaii, so they do get that extra game allowed by the NCAA, but I'm not sure if Overall Winning % is part of the SoCon tie-breaking formula. If so, then you are correct. If not, then my prediction is that Deep Blue will be retained to determine the SoCon AutoBid...and when it returns the blue screen of death, the FCS Selection Committee will grant AutoBids to all 9 SoCon Teams. And, all Teams & Fans of the MVFC, the CAA, and the Big Sky will clearly see that this is the only reasonable solution and will support the Committee's decision 100%
    Actually, I already knew the answer. The tiebreaker in this case would be fewest points allowed in conference play. This would favor a ball-control team like Wofford or the Citadel, or possibly the new Furman.

Similar Threads

  1. SOCON - SAMFORD RECRUITING CLASS 2017
    By youcanbankit in forum FCS Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 8th, 2017, 04:28 PM
  2. Samford: Samford Football Announces 13 Signees For 2017
    By News from the FCS in forum Southern Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 1st, 2017, 11:30 AM
  3. Samford: FB Picked Third In SoCon Coaches Preseason Poll
    By News from the FCS in forum Southern Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 27th, 2016, 12:40 PM
  4. Samford: Football Picked Second By SoCon Coaches
    By News from the FCS in forum Southern Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2015, 01:40 PM
  5. Chattanooga: Five on All-SoCon Team, Mocs Picked 3rd in SoCon
    By News from the FCS in forum Southern Conference News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 24th, 2013, 01:30 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •