Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Samford

SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

7 reasons Samford will win the SOCON in 2017.....

1. Best Coaching staff in the conference.
    2. Best Quarterback's in the conference. Threw for 4000 yards last year.
    3. Best Offense in the conference and will play more balanced this year.
    4. Offensive line will be young but seriously upgraded in 2017. (6-6, 6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-7)
    5. Defense improves to be the #2 defense in the SoCon.
    6. Best Punter in the SoCon.
    7. Special teams upgraded to rise to #3 in the SoCon.
    Last edited by youcanbankit; April 16th, 2017 at 12:24 PM.

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

My Team
    Samford

[QUOTE=FUBeAR;[/QUOTE]

Down goes Mercer - Samford Beats Mercer Again. 2015 and 2016

With the win, Samford improves to 7-3 overall and 5-2 in Southern Conference games. Samford wraps up its home schedule with a 5-0 record. This marks the first time Samford has gone undefeated at home since 1998.

"Wins are very difficult to come by, especially when you get to this point in the season," Samford head coach Chris Hatcher said. "We did not play very well today. We made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes. We didn't have a lot of energy.

Samford built a 21-0 lead in the first quarter and with players sick with the flu, hung on for the win.

Reason 8 - Samford plays FuBears teams this year.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    7 reasons Samford will win the SOCON in 2017.....

1. Best Coaching staff in the conference.
    2. Best Quarterback in the conference. Through for 4000 yards last year.
    3. Best Offense in the conference and will play more balanced this year.
    4. Offensive line will be seriously upgraded in 2017. (6-6, 6-4, 6-5, 6-6, 6-7)
    5. Defense improves to be the #2 defense in the SoCon.
    6. Best Punter in the SoCon.
    7. Special teams upgraded to rise to #3 in the SoCon.
    Well that would be a change to be more balanced. I can almost laugh at Samford's rushing game this past year, about as hard as I laugh at my own Bulldog's passing attack. We are each a bit lopsided (although both quite successful as well) in our offensive attack.

Let's look at the numbers. While averaging about 350 a game through the air, Samford finished with 96.8 yards rushing per game. Even if you take the sack yardage into account, which was only about 14 yards per games, that is pretty low. If you look at just the 10 FSC games Samford played that number drops to just 78 YPG rushing. In 5 of those games it was about 50 yards or less. I really do not understand why Hodges did not scramble more. When he did, like he did against us, he was fairly successful. Averaging about 350 YPG through the air is great but you all definitely need to pick up the running pace. If for nothing else, to give your D a longer break between scores. While Samford probably has one of the lowest average times in FCS for scoring drives (good), it was ranked dead last in all of FCS for TOP at 24:35 a game (bad). Probably cost you the game against ETSU where you possessed it for just 18 minutes. Hard to keep a defense fresh when it is on the field for 42 minutes. FYI, UTC is probably the FCS poster child for a balanced attack with them ending the season with 2682 yards rushing and 2681 yards passing. Not sure I ever saw one that close before.

On D, Samford will need to step up quite a bit to be #2 in the SOCON. They finished #7/9 in D for YPG at 421 about 210 against both the rush and pass. They finished #5/9 in scoring D at 27.2 PPG.

Not sure where you are getting best punter from unless you got a new one. Samford's Jr punter was ranked 4th in yardage behind only one senior. The others were a Jr and So this year.

My Team
    Samford

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    Well that would be a change to be more balanced. I can almost laugh at Samford's rushing game this past year, about as hard as I laugh at my own Bulldog's passing attack. We are each a bit lopsided (although both quite successful as well) in our offensive attack.

Let's look at the numbers. While averaging about 350 a game through the air, Samford finished with 96.8 yards rushing per game. Even if you take the sack yardage into account, which was only about 14 yards per games, that is pretty low. If you look at just the 10 FSC games Samford played that number drops to just 78 YPG rushing. In 5 of those games it was about 50 yards or less. I really do not understand why Hodges did not scramble more. When he did, like he did against us, he was fairly successful. Averaging about 350 YPG through the air is great but you all definitely need to pick up the running pace. If for nothing else, to give your D a longer break between scores. While Samford probably has one of the lowest average times in FCS for scoring drives (good), it was ranked dead last in all of FCS for TOP at 24:35 a game (bad). Probably cost you the game against ETSU where you possessed it for just 18 minutes. Hard to keep a defense fresh when it is on the field for 42 minutes. FYI, UTC is probably the FCS poster child for a balanced attack with them ending the season with 2682 yards rushing and 2681 yards passing. Not sure I ever saw one that close before.

On D, Samford will need to step up quite a bit to be #2 in the SOCON. They finished #7/9 in D for YPG at 421 about 210 against both the rush and pass. They finished #5/9 in scoring D at 27.2 PPG.

Not sure where you are getting best punter from unless you got a new one. Samford's Jr punter was ranked 4th in yardage behind only one senior. The others were a Jr and So this year.
    Good analysis by the way. A couple of comments, the air offense is returning a strong group, so look for them to contend again nationally thru the air. The rushing attack will change. Coaches took over and had to use the skill sets on the team to compete. The OLINE is one of them. You will see a bigger, faster, tougher Oline than you have seen at Samford in 30 years. Last years #33 center in nation, recent recruits the past 2 years, along with a Miami transfer will add size, speed and toughness to the Oline. Hiring University of Alabama's #2 strength coach and #2 nutritionist two years ago is proving itself. The pick up of two running backs this year, A JUCO transfer and Freshmen will add tremendous speed and bigger backs. Treyvon Paulk, transfer from Hutchinson JC ,signed with Tennessee. Look for him to make an immediate impact. Many more pick ups not listed brings this offense to the forefront in the conference. Not being able to run the ball last year impacted Time of Possession and the ability to put teams away. big difference this year.

On defense and special teams, the team has to continue to improve. However, they are improving. Great athletes picked up the past two years will add more speed and coverage for special teams and on defense. Key transfers on Dline and developing linebackers will show immediate results. Secondary continues to improve. recent recruits will have immediate back up impact. The punter has an NFL leg, but coverage wasn't there last year. Program is on the rise. You heard it hear first.

My Team
    Samford

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    Good analysis by the way. A couple of comments, the air offense is returning a strong group, so look for them to contend again nationally thru the air. The rushing attack will change. Coaches took over and had to use the skill sets on the team to compete. The OLINE is one of them. You will see a bigger, faster, tougher Oline than you have seen at Samford in 30 years. Last years #33 center in nation, recent recruits the past 2 years, along with a Miami transfer will add size, speed and toughness to the Oline. Hiring University of Alabama's #2 strength coach and #2 nutritionist two years ago is proving itself. The pick up of two running backs this year, A JUCO transfer and Freshmen will add tremendous speed and bigger backs. Treyvon Paulk, transfer from Hutchinson JC ,signed with Tennessee. Look for him to make an immediate impact. Many more pick ups not listed brings this offense to the forefront in the conference. Not being able to run the ball last year impacted Time of Possession and the ability to put teams away. big difference this year.

On defense and special teams, the team has to continue to improve. However, they are improving. Great athletes picked up the past two years will add more speed and coverage for special teams and on defense. Key transfers on Dline and developing linebackers will show immediate results. Secondary continues to improve. recent recruits will have immediate back up impact. The punter has an NFL leg, but coverage wasn't there last year. Program is on the rise. You heard it hear first.
    idontknowwhoyouare,butilikeyou!

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechs View Post
    Your son knows his son very well. Not quite as well as he would if they played for El Cid though. You should have them introduce y'all to one another.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

My Team
    Samford

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Your son knows his son very well. Not quite as well as he would if they played for El Cid though. You should have them introduce y'all to one another.

interesting

My Team
    Samford

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechs View Post

I agree with you.I like the post!

My Team
    Samford

Quote Originally Posted by vestaviadude View Post
    I agree with you.I like the post!