Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

My Team
    Samford

Re: SAMFORD PICKED TO WIN THE SOCON in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by SU DOG View Post
    WOW! I thought I was the optimistic Samford Fan, but it's way too early for me to be THIS confident. I'll check out Spring Training first and see if we really look better and more balanced on offense. I agree that Samford has the talent and recruiting has been phenomenal the past few years. I also know, however, that expectations haven't been reached, and IMO, the talent has been better than the results. The O-Line has already been huge, but didn't move anybody off the LOS. We lost our starting center and an all conference guard from last season, but as you say, we have a Soph, who was listed as the #33 center in the nation(247sports), and the Miami xfer to replace them.

I think the possibility is definitely there, but I will be cautiously optimistic, as I have had too many Kool-Aid hangovers in past seasons.
    Not really a kool aid fan! Never much liked the stuff.

Two more wins and Samford would have been a 9 win team this year. ETSU/Citadel both should have been wins and you could argue Mississippi State. Two games Samford was never in UTC and Youngstown State.

I still see the numbers being there. If the offense keeps humming and adds a running game, defense improves to a top #2 defense in the SoCon and special teams improves to a top #3 in conference, the stats say its enough for a SoCon Title. Sure a lot can happen, that's why its a prediction.

Not sure what you are referring too about a big offensive line. I am only comparing to last year...avg. 6'3"ish - 285 lbs.??? Not big enough to run the ball in the SoCon, unless your running the triple option.

The first game of the year will be a nice test. Kennesaw State finished in the top 20 in both offense #8 and defense #16th last year in the FCS. Schedule was weak though. Strength of schedule for Samford is a tough one this year. 5 top 30 teams in the FCS - EOY rankings and Georgia. Seem impossible? Please dont quote anyone from the WWF or WWE.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Champions.jpg  
    Last edited by youcanbankit; February 14th, 2017 at 12:33 PM.

FCS Master

First SoCon game against UTC. Starting OLs - Samford averaged 307 and Mocs averaged 298. UTC rushed for 282 yards Samford rushed for 46. Samford O-Line got smaller late in the season because some heavier players were not getting it done and were benched for smaller guys.
    I'm through with this thread, as I want what you say to come true. I'm also realistic enough, however, to realize that UNLESS we get a lot tougher on both sides of the ball, we will NOT accomplish these lofty goals.

My Team
    Samford

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    Good analysis by the way. A couple of comments, the air offense is returning a strong group, so look for them to contend again nationally thru the air. The rushing attack will change. Coaches took over and had to use the skill sets on the team to compete. The OLINE is one of them. You will see a bigger, faster, tougher Oline than you have seen at Samford in 30 years. Last years #33 center in nation, recent recruits the past 2 years, along with a Miami transfer will add size, speed and toughness to the Oline. Hiring University of Alabama's #2 strength coach and #2 nutritionist two years ago is proving itself. The pick up of two running backs this year, A JUCO transfer and Freshmen will add tremendous speed and bigger backs. Treyvon Paulk, transfer from Hutchinson JC ,signed with Tennessee. Look for him to make an immediate impact. Many more pick ups not listed brings this offense to the forefront in the conference. Not being able to run the ball last year impacted Time of Possession and the ability to put teams away. big difference this year.

On defense and special teams, the team has to continue to improve. However, they are improving. Great athletes picked up the past two years will add more speed and coverage for special teams and on defense. Key transfers on Dline and developing linebackers will show immediate results. Secondary continues to improve. recent recruits will have immediate back up impact. The punter has an NFL leg, but coverage wasn't there last year. Program is on the rise. You heard it hear first.
    idontknowwhoyouare,butilikeyou!

Quote Originally Posted by youcanbankit View Post
    Not really a kool aid fan! Never much liked the stuff.

Two more wins and Samford would have been a 9 win team this year. ETSU/Citadel both should have been wins and you could argue Mississippi State. Two games Samford was never in UTC and Youngstown State.

I still see the numbers being there. If the offense keeps humming and adds a running game, defense improves to a top #2 defense in the SoCon and special teams improves to a top #3 in conference, the stats say its enough for a SoCon Title. Sure a lot can happen, that's why its a prediction.

Not sure what you are referring too about a big offensive line. I am only comparing to last year...avg. 6'3"ish - 285 lbs.??? Not big enough to run the ball in the SoCon, unless your running the triple option.

The first game of the year will be a nice test. Kennesaw State finished in the top 20 in both offense #8 and defense #16th last year in the FCS. Schedule was weak though. Strength of schedule for Samford is a tough one this year. 5 top 30 teams in the FCS - EOY rankings and Georgia. Seem impossible? Please dont quote anyone from the WWF or WWE.

Bear you want to take that one?
    FU all the time.

"The game we know and love literally grew up in the Southern Conference. To find the foundation for ACC and SEC football, you have to go the league’s roots. To find an appreciation for a brand of football often-overlooked and seldom-appreciated, we as fans should do the same."

AGS President of the Confederate States of America
    My Team
    The Citadel

Samford is SOFT and that is a Hatcher problem. ALWAYS has been.
    http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechs View Post
    Your son knows his son very well. Not quite as well as he would if they played for El Cid though. You should have them introduce y'all to one another.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

My Team
    Furman & Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinFan View Post
    Bear you want to take that one?
    Nah...thanks though. Once s/he said my OL perspective was based on "my team's" inability to recruit bigger OLmen (vs. my actual perspective of 40+ years of Playing & Coaching College & HS O-Line), I knew it was a lost cause.

The phrase "assumes facts not in evidence" must be his/her personal mantra.
    Last edited by FUBeAR; February 15th, 2017 at 09:59 AM.
    NCAA DIVISION I MANUAL

20.10.1 Commitments to the Division I Collegiate Model
    Bylaws proposed and enacted by member institutions governing the conduct of intercollegiate athletics shall be designed to foster competition in amateur athletics

20.10.1.2 The Commitment to Amateurism
    Member institutions shall conduct their athletics programs…maintaining a line of demarcation between student-athletes who participate in the Collegiate Model and athletes competing in the professional model

My Team
    Samford

Quote Originally Posted by FUBeAR View Post
    Your son knows his son very well. Not quite as well as he would if they played for El Cid though. You should have them introduce y'all to one another.

interesting

AGS FCS Expert
    My Team
    VMI

1-AA is tops!!

My Team
    Samford

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechs View Post

I agree with you.I like the post!