247sports, Rivals, and Scout all rank recruiting classes. i saw an interesting article a year or so ago about the performance of teams with recruiting rankings in the top 10. Turns out that recruiting rank is a very good predictor for who will win a FBS national championship a couple of years down the road.

I am wondering if any stat geeks have done a similar study of FCS teams. How well do rankings predict team performance? My hunch is not nearly as well as for big schools. My reasoning is that 247 and the other services closely monitor recruiting for very big schools but do a half assed job of keeping up with FCS recruits. For example, ACU has a commit from a former commit to another FCS school. He decommitted and recommitted over a week ago but still shows as commit to his former school. Two years ago a guy who committed to and signed with ACU was still showing up as a Colorado State commit two weeks after signing day.

Anyone, has anyone looked at FCS rank vs performance over a several year period?