Page 229 of 293 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231239279 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 2928

Re: MVFC 2017- Brought to you by Casey's Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'm just not a fan of sinking a bunch of money into old buildings. The Dakota Dome is 38 years old at this point. I understand it costs much more to build new (and takes longer) but at a certain point it becomes a better investment in the long run to start over.

After seeing NDSU go through the process of sinking $40M into completely renovating the basketball arena I wish they would've just built a new one. They did a whole lot more than just a basketball arena for the whole project but after being in the new arena for a year it just seems to me like they put lipstick on the pig there too. It is a massive improvement over what they had and it was a chore and a half to even get that done but the promises that it would be a jewel of mid-major basketball were greatly over-exaggerated.

NDSU is going to have the same problem with the Fargodome. The Fargodome Authority has sunk a pretty decent chunk of change into new lighting and new video boards in recent years (and there's even a proposal to add a convention center onto it) so they don't seem to have any plans to look at something larger even though NDSU has clearly outgrown it. NDSU has added politics involved in that the city owns the building so I realize there's a lot more factors in play here but just my two cents on it.
    The basketball arena is nice, but I also wish they would of started from scratch. I realize they had to do something but what would of happened if they limped it along for a few more years and then did something fresh?

As for the dome, well my opinion is sometimes you just have to cut hay. Leave it how it is and start saving/fundraising for a new place. The interesting thing is if I understand it right, NDSU owns the land but the city of Fargo owns the building. What happens if NDSU has the cash and wants to build in the same spot? Granted by that time the dome will probably be at the end of its useful life and the way ND politics are being ran before enough money is raised.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Winterborn View Post
    The basketball arena is nice, but I also wish they would of started from scratch. I realize they had to do something but what would of happened if they limped it along for a few more years and then did something fresh?

As for the dome, well my opinion is sometimes you just have to cut hay. Leave it how it is and start saving/fundraising for a new place. The interesting thing is if I understand it right, NDSU owns the land but the city of Fargo owns the building. What happens if NDSU has the cash and wants to build in the same spot? Granted by that time the dome will probably be at the end of its useful life and the way ND politics are being ran before enough money is raised.
    I'm pretty sure city has like a 99 year lease on the land for $1 a year or something like that so I don't think NDSU is going to be able to strong arm them there without some legal shenanigans. Honestly, with the type of capital they'd need to raise to build a new dome they'd need the city to partner with them on it anyway (unless an "Engelstead" is somehow created by NDSU that's willing to donate $100M).

It's a tough spot since schools the size of NDSU and USD can't just snap their fingers and raise that kind of money. The new basketball arena has underwhelmed me but anyone with eyes could see that something needed to be done given the state of the old BSA. It's probably a similar mindset for the Dakota Dome in Vermillion.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 5-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

First Class FCS Ruler CappinHard's Avatar

After seeing NDSU go through the process of sinking $40M into completely renovating the basketball arena I wish they would've just built a new one. They did a whole lot more than just a basketball arena for the whole project but after being in the new arena for a year it just seems to me like they put lipstick on the pig there too. It is a massive improvement over what they had and it was a chore and a half to even get that done but the promises that it would be a jewel of mid-major basketball were greatly over-exaggerated.
    SDSU is about to embark on updating and renovating Frost Arena. I'm a bit concerned about the limitations of the existing structure, but like others are mentioning, it's tough to start from scratch due to the age of the building and the cost to replace. Here is a new rendering. Looks a lot better than it is now. Will be interesting to see how it looks when it's done though.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frost.jpg  
    No, but I did eat Casey's Breakfast Pizza this morning.

AGS Circle of Influence Member

That raised endline seating is tough to pull off. It either looks really good or just horrendously bad. 95% of the places that have it fall on the horrendous side of it. Hopefully it works for SDSU.
    "People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
    -A FCS twist on a quote from Iowa State HC Matt Cambpell about getting his team bowl eligible.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by clenz View Post
    That raised endline seating is tough to pull off. It either looks really good or just horrendously bad. 95% of the places that have it fall on the horrendous side of it. Hopefully it works for SDSU.
    At least their aisles will still work where they're placed that way at an offset from the basket. One of the things that baffled me about the new NDSU arena is they have floor level seats directly behind the basket. No one sits there obviously because all you can see is the back of the basket but it baffles me why they don't have an aisle coming down directly behind the basket so as to use that space where no one will sit for something useful. I thought that was part of basketball arena design 101.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 5-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterborn View Post

They limped along for a decade. They had to do something. The SHAC is pretty much a complete rebuild. They had to cut some corners but it is what it is.

At least their aisles will still work where they're placed that way at an offset from the basket. One of the things that baffled me about the new NDSU arena is they have floor level seats directly behind the basket. No one sits there obviously because all you can see is the back of the basket but it baffles me why they don't have an aisle coming down directly behind the basket so as to use that space where no one will sit for something useful. I thought that was part of basketball arena design 101.
    Yeah, places that get that wrong blow my mind.

UNI has an aisle on the student section side and the tunnel to the locker rooms on the other side.

"People will talk about getting into the playoffs - don't give a ****. This isn't about just getting to the playoffs. Bull**** programs care about just getting to the playoffs."
    -A FCS twist on a quote from Iowa State HC Matt Cambpell about getting his team bowl eligible.

First Class FCS Ruler jacksfan29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yote84 View Post
    That is how I understood it for UNI too.

USD and NDSU are the only ones offering FCOA in the MVFC until UND joins. SDSU does it to on a limited basis and not for all sports.
    Actually USD is not currently offering it for all sports. The way it was announced by USD, in response to NDSU's announcement made it sound like they were, but the Board of Regents document on the issue gives another story (see below link).

USD will not be offering to all athletes until 2019. SDSU began offering it to basketball immediately in 2015, the remaining sports, including FB have a pool of money which they can offer to scholarship athletes based on need. That began in 2016 and as funds come in that pool of money grows. From my understanding Sell's intent is to have the funds, private, fully in place by 2019 so all scholarship athletes will be receiving FCOA, much like what USD are doing, Sell just did not feel the need to publicize it like the USD Ad felt he needed to do. As said above, the only difference is USD needed the publicity so they shouted it from the roof tops. SDSU chose to quietly begin implementation.

https://www.sdbor.edu/the-board/2015..._W_BOR1215.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jacksfan29 View Post
    Actually USD is not currently offering it for all sports. The way it was announced by USD, in response to NDSU's announcement made it sound like they were, but the Board of Regents document on the issue gives another story (see below link).

USD will not be offering to all athletes until 2019. SDSU began offering it to basketball immediately in 2015, the remaining sports, including FB have a pool of money which they can offer to scholarship athletes based on need. That began in 2016 and as funds come in that pool of money grows. From my understanding Sell's intent is to have the funds, private, fully in place by 2019 so all scholarship athletes will be receiving FCOA, much like what USD are doing, Sell just did not feel the need to publicize it like the USD Ad felt he needed to do. As said above, the only difference is USD needed the publicity so they shouted it from the roof tops. SDSU chose to quietly begin implementation.

https://www.sdbor.edu/the-board/2015..._W_BOR1215.pdf
    Great post.

That's the exact approach UNI took to it.

MBB, WBB and VB got it immediately. Football got it a year later on need base. I'm thinking most sports have it now on a need base.

UNI will make it "officially official" when it matters. Before that, media D sucking over offering it isn't a thing UNI cares about.

First Class FCS Advocate Yote84's Avatar

http://www.goyotes.com/news/2015/9/4...904155838.aspx

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/loc...daa15c491.html

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...ning/71698376/

All 17 of USD's sports started in 2016.

The jealousy of jacks fans still amazes me. How did USD announce FCOA any different than the mighty bunny turds? The local media markets all picked up the stories for both schools. You act like USD tried getting it on ESPN or did something different. Grow up. Quit proving why every other fan base hates you.