Page 49 of 254 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
    AGS FCS Champion

Re: MVFC 2017- Brought to you by Casey's Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingpin28 View Post
    Just don't run that 3-3-5 in Cheney and the Bison have a chance to somewhat maybe contain Gubrud. Yeah I look forward to teams trying to run the ball on the Bison. See the Iowa game but what could be every game.

If they do that worthless scheme again, I'm going to puke in that stadium out there.

Run base Tampa-2 and bring pressure on Gubrud. The front 4 should be able to get pressure on him.

IMO, the Bison beat them by at least 2 TDs.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    If they do that worthless scheme again, I'm going to puke in that stadium out there.

Run base Tampa-2 and bring pressure on Gubrud. The front 4 should be able to get pressure on him.

Well Polasek is not running the offense so that could help?

inb4someonecallsmeafairweatherpolasekhater

I could see them dominating if they let the D-Line run the contain and let DeLuca spy Gubrud to keep him from breaking big runs. Let the safeties play double coverage and that game should go the way of the Bison. I am excited for the game but am not looking forward to staring at a painful red turf for three hours.
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingpin28 View Post
    Well Polasek is not running the offense so that could help?

inb4someonecallsmeafairweatherpolasekhater

I could see them dominating if they let the D-Line run the contain and let DeLuca spy Gubrud to keep him from breaking big runs. Let the safeties play double coverage and that game should go the way of the Bison. I am excited for the game but am not looking forward to staring at a painful red turf for three hours.
    I loved his passion for the game and respected him for that but I just want to see consistency. Either way, it should be a good game.
    TheKingpin28 is "Nothing but an emotional fair weather fan." - Bisonwinagn

First Class FCS Ruler Redbird 4th & short's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post

New head coach, OC, and WR group in Cheney, but they have entire OL back ... I don't doubt Bison can find a way to pressure QB, but they're going to have new playbook presumably and you play them in week 2, after they play just 1 game against Texas Tech. Could be disadvantage on that front for Bison on road. Rooting for Bison .. but EWU will know more about Bison, than vice versa. Don't get me wrong ... I always root for MVFC teams in non-conf game and I would expect Bison win ... but if not, familiarity may be the difference in tough road game like this one.

Note, we travel to NAU against their stud QB in week 5 .. but they don't know us any better than we know them and they are not as good as EWU presumably.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird 4th & short View Post
    Note, we travel to NAU against their stud QB in week 5 .. but they don't know us any better than we know them and they are not as good as EWU presumably.
    Not sure if much can be learned, but we head out there in week 2 (Sept. 9), and we played them back here in IL last year.
    I know that transitive property is a pretty weak argument for which team is better than other teams, but you might be able to get a bit of insight as to how you might stack up by comparing ISU->WIU and WIU->NAU.
    For reference, here's the stats from last year: http://goleathernecks.com/boxscore.a...otball&id=5398
    Lance Lenoir caught for 231 yards and 1 TD
    Steve McShane ran for 162 yards and 2 TDs
    Sean McGuire passed for 336 yards and 2 TDs

Our defense held them to 147 total yards rushing, but gave up 300 yards and 3 TDs through the air (we were really bad at that aspect last year though, if you remember...plus Cookus was still playing at that point in the season).
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    Not sure if much can be learned, but we head out there in week 2 (Sept. 9), and we played them back here in IL last year.
    I know that transitive property is a pretty weak argument for which team is better than other teams, but you might be able to get a bit of insight as to how you might stack up by comparing ISU->WIU and WIU->NAU.
    For reference, here's the stats from last year: http://goleathernecks.com/boxscore.a...otball&id=5398
    Lance Lenoir caught for 231 yards and 1 TD
    Steve McShane ran for 162 yards and 2 TDs
    Sean McGuire passed for 336 yards and 2 TDs

Our defense held them to 147 total yards rushing, but gave up 300 yards and 3 TDs through the air (we were really bad at that aspect last year though, if you remember...plus Cookus was still playing at that point in the season).
    thanks for tip .. I had not recalled your game against them. I will dig into your game stats for sure knowing QB Cookus played. That QB is legit, even if playing in the Big Sky airshow.

I do recall last year your run defense was pretty strong, but not so on pass defense.

How do yo like the new coach ... OC from Richmond I recall. Can he coach both sides of ball ? Can he recruit ?

thanks for tip .. I had not recalled your game against them. I will dig into your game stats for sure knowing QB Cookus played. That QB is legit, even if playing in the Big Sky airshow.

I do recall last year your run defense was pretty strong, but not so on pass defense.

How do yo like the new coach ... OC from Richmond I recall. Can he coach both sides of ball ? Can he recruit ?
    Yea, Cookus is really good. Thankfully our overall defense was a bit better (at least on that day) and we outran them in that track meet.

You are correct, Coach Fisher was the OC at Richmond before coming here last year. I definitely like him better as a person, and it seems like he can recruit pretty well, although most of that remains to be seen with only a few of his guys getting playing time last year as true freshmen. He's changed up a few things on the defense...Got a new DC and a few other staff...moving from 4-3 to 3-4 because the majority of our talent and experience is at LB right now (we honestly have like 5 LBs who are good enough to be starters). It seemed like the biggest issue with our pass defense last year (which was absolutely horrible) was where the guys were on the field and not being able to be in position to defend (SDSU TE's notwithstanding...you just can't defend him, no matter where you are). Maybe the new DC and new defensive schemes will fix that...but we just don't know yet. I do know that some change needed to be made and changes were made...so we'll see how that works out.

It looks at this point like we'll be more of a run-first offense, with WRs Lance Lenoir and Joey Borsellino graduating. McGuire is a decent running QB, RB Steve McShane is only a junior, and we've got a redshirt freshman RB (Max Norris) who REALLY impressed people in spring practices. That, plus the investment we're making in TE's tells me that running and shorter, but more accurate, passes will likely be the norm for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ST_Lawson View Post
    Yea, Cookus is really good. Thankfully our overall defense was a bit better (at least on that day) and we outran them in that track meet.

You are correct, Coach Fisher was the OC at Richmond before coming here last year. I definitely like him better as a person, and it seems like he can recruit pretty well, although most of that remains to be seen with only a few of his guys getting playing time last year as true freshmen. He's changed up a few things on the defense...Got a new DC and a few other staff...moving from 4-3 to 3-4 because the majority of our talent and experience is at LB right now (we honestly have like 5 LBs who are good enough to be starters). It seemed like the biggest issue with our pass defense last year (which was absolutely horrible) was where the guys were on the field and not being able to be in position to defend (SDSU TE's notwithstanding...you just can't defend him, no matter where you are). Maybe the new DC and new defensive schemes will fix that...but we just don't know yet. I do know that some change needed to be made and changes were made...so we'll see how that works out.

It looks at this point like we'll be more of a run-first offense, with WRs Lance Lenoir and Joey Borsellino graduating. McGuire is a decent running QB, RB Steve McShane is only a junior, and we've got a redshirt freshman RB (Max Norris) who REALLY impressed people in spring practices. That, plus the investment we're making in TE's tells me that running and shorter, but more accurate, passes will likely be the norm for us.

so looked at some stats and NAU roster losses from 2016. Their offense adjusted pretty well to backup QB for most part, so their system must be pretty good. FYI fo your game, their defense is losing a lot of their top tacklers, including their stud pass rusher. I suspect they will have hard time getting of the field and they're going to be in a lot of high scoring games, especially in Big Sky. For us, that is good news being on road .. our OL new OL won'tt be tested too much in our week 5 game against them. And our defense should be clicking enough to win a higher scoring game like 38 to 31 type game. Playing at 7000 foot elevation wil be interesting .. that could take some adjustments ... and oxygen. I'm assuming they won't be able to run on us much at all, and will be hurrying it up and airing it out. We have very good depth this season on defense, especially with DL and DB groups .. so we will have guys to rotate in/out if needed .. and we tend to slow things down on offense .. always huddle and work the clock, rarely do hurry up unless absolutely needed .. at 7000 feet, I doubt that will change.

For SDSU I'm very curious to see how the defense performs next season. That's the part of the team that lost the most, but they weren't real good either. Also the spring game was played as a regular game and ended very low scoring, which I'm going to take as a good sign for the defense instead of a bad sign for the offense, especially with everyone that is returning. If the defense can get to above average this team should be very, very good.
    I don't drink anymore. I don't necessarily drink any less either, though.

I am ED. #FEARME
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go JACKS!

Playing at 7000 foot elevation wil be interesting .. that could take some adjustments ... and oxygen.
    Maybe. If the team can get out there a couple of days early, do some drills, get used to it, they should be ok. If you're in shape, the hit is a lot less than it is for someone who isn't. I live at 700ft, but ran an 8 1/2 mile race at 9k ft after being out there for 2 days and didn't really have any issues.

Extra oxygen, extra water, they should be ok. Thankfully it's a dome, so they won't have the high-altitude sun beating down on them.