Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idaho / WAC Football

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Montana State

Idaho / WAC Football

Interesting thread on the Idaho forum linked to an article about emails on moving down and trying to talk MSU/um into joining the WAC.

"Rob: Have you had an opportunity to speak with your President regarding football and whether or not he believes the idea of other Big Sky institutions moving to the FBS level could have any legs?" Hurd wrote. "Although (former Big Sky commissioner) Doug Fullerton had interest, one of my concerns is that the new Commissioner might consider it too much of a risk to have on his/her plate right shortly after being hired."
    In another message, he said: "The WAC has traction and I look forward to influencing the Big Sky from within. I know I can convince Montana and Montana State to jump...we need to lock arms with them. And a bowl win changes everything! I know our kids will be motivated!"
    "While the NCAA rules still recognize the WAC as an FBS league, I am not so sure how excited the current FBS conferences are about adding another league and dividing the money with another conference," Spear said last week. He added: "Whatever Idaho does in the future I think it is important that we align with Montana and Montana State."
    http://www.scout.com/college/idaho/foru ... -drop-back

My Team
    Montana State

Re: Idaho / WAC Football

Possible WAC Football Conference:

1) Univ of Idaho
    2) New Mexico State
    3) Univ of Montana
    4) Montana State
    5) Univ of North Dakota
    6) NDSU
    7) SDSU
    8) Univ of South Dakota

Other possibilities:

Eastern Washington
    Northern Arizona
    Weber
    Wyoming
    Utah State

Already playing baseball in the WAC:

Sac State
    Northern Colorado
    Univ of North Dakota

AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    Possible WAC Football Conference:

1) Univ of Idaho
    2) New Mexico State
    3) Univ of Montana
    4) Montana State
    5) Univ of North Dakota
    6) NDSU
    7) SDSU
    8) Univ of South Dakota

Other possibilities:

Eastern Washington
    Northern Arizona
    Weber
    Wyoming
    Utah State

Already playing baseball in the WAC:

Sac State
    Northern Colorado
    Univ of North Dakota
    That kind of conference is why the WAC died to being with...actually a better league than that is why the WAC died.

My Team
    North Dakota State

Why would Wyoming or usu Leave the mwc?

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post
    Why would Wyoming or usu Leave the mwc?
    ^^^^^

My Team
    North Dakota State

UND and USD in a FBS league?

I'm no better than you...probably
    My Team
    Montana

Man, this exact topic has been gone over so many ways here I just want to but don't hink I can do it again. Why on earth would that be a good deal for UM, MSU, NDSU, SDSU, etc.?

The WAC thing is absolutely possible but why would we want that? There is still nothing, not one f'n thing attractive about a asinine name change and still being basically the same if you ask me. Being the Sun Belt West is a horrifying thought to me.

BTW, I think Idaho still has plenty of financial issues to sort out anyway don't they? I thought they were bleeding money for the last 10 yrs.? When each FBS confrerence has a playoff spot let me know, I change my mind then.

I am sure with this dipping of the toes in the water I will probably be right back into this mess again.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern

My Team
    North Dakota State

Just to say your in the FBS? No thanks.
    Internet tough guy

First Class FCS Ruler jacksfan29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ursus arctos horribilis View Post
    Man, this exact topic has been gone over so many ways here I just want to but don't hink I can do it again. Why on earth would that be a good deal for UM, MSU, NDSU, SDSU, etc.?

The WAC thing is absolutely possible but why would we want that? There is still nothing, not one f'n thing attractive about a asinine name change and still being basically the same if you ask me. Being the Sun Belt West is a horrifying thought to me.

BTW, I think Idaho still has plenty of financial issues to sort out anyway don't they? I thought they were bleeding money for the last 10 yrs.? When each FBS confrerence has a playoff spot let me know, I change my mind then.

I am sure with this dipping of the toes in the water I will probably be right back into this mess again.
    In the article, the Idaho AD mentions that they don't have the money to compete in FBS and that private funds are not coming in. He says they need another 5-6 million per year. I'm not real sure what the big news in the article is. That Idaho's AD tried to stay FBS by getting the WAC involved because the WAC felt it may be their only chance at survival? That must be it.

I do love how he states in one email that he can get Montana and Montana State to come along. If that's true why did UM and MSU not jump to the WAC when it was still a viable conference?

Oh, and when asked by the Idaho consultant NDSU and SDSU both stated they have no interest in the WAC.

I'm no better than you...probably
    My Team
    Montana

Quote Originally Posted by jacksfan29 View Post
    In the article, the Idaho AD mentions that they don't have the money to compete in FBS and that private funds are not coming in. He says they need another 5-6 million per year. I'm not real sure what the big news in the article is. That Idaho's AD tried to stay FBS by getting the WAC involved because the WAC felt it may be their only chance at survival? That must be it.

I do love how he states in one email that he can get Montana and Montana State to come along. If that's true why did UM and MSU not jump to the WAC when it was still a viable conference?

Oh, and when asked by the Idaho consultant NDSU and SDSU both stated they have no interest in the WAC.
    Well, thank you for reading it and letting me off the hook on that. I am glad to see I already Idaho's problem pegged and that zero has changed from the numberous we've all done this thread in the past.

You have and use some logical thinking on the matter so you flat out nailed several of the points I just threw aside in my haste to get done with it. "Gonna talk us into it" C'mon man, we already have much more going for us than Idaho does and they are gonna convince us to follow them? That is some severely delusional **** but I really do like reading the emails/correspondence anyway.

"HEY, WE ONLY NEED TO RAISE ANOTHER 1/2 MILLION/MONTH TO BE ABLE TO COMPETE IN A LOW LEVEL FBS CONFERENCE"

Then we can travel thousands of miles for all of our conference games...oh wait, we already do that.

Hell, I actually don't mind the look of that conference but man you gotta be reasonable and there just isn't near enough good stuff to make this anything more than a bad idea.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern