A great win for Poly ... but there were plenty of reasons that I saw to believe that Poly must improve in certain areas. Tackling, particularly in the defensive backfield was terrible. And tackling on special teams is frequently horrible. Sometimes I think the Poly defenders want to make the big hit rather than secure the guy with the ball. They need a lot of work in that regard, or somebody will take advantage and the season will not be as spectacular as they thought it could be.

That said, yesterday's game was very good to see. As usual, they allowed the opposing team to score first, and then, eventually, come back to take the lead. Against Montana, once they took the lead, they gave it up again and had to come back at the end of the game to win.

The Mustang offense was really spectacular. The addition, this year, of Dano Graves and the passing game really makes a difference with the Triple Option. It almost makes it a Quad Option, though passing on a rushing play is really not an option, linemen would go to far past the line of scrimmage.

The defense, this year, has really improved. Cal Poly's defense has never really had a problem with the rush, they've been strong at defensive linemen and linebackers for years, but they have been week against a really strong, accurate passer. This year the defensive backfield has gotten better and is usually able to stay with the wide receivers and others as they go downfield for a pass. But they still have limited problems keeping the receiver from getting to the ball first, but their real weakness is tackling. I am hoping that while the team gets ready for North Dakota next week, tackling practice be a priority, though I do know that they must try to learn the North Dakota offensive tendencies, too. i have not seen North Dakota this year so I am unsure what offense may be used against the Mustangs next Saturday, but since this is the Big Sky, I'm sure ND's QB has a strong arm and decent receivers. Our offense will probably be not a problem against ND. I hope the defense is also not a problem.