Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Team
    Eastern Illinois

EIU - ISU Meet For 105th Mid-America Classic

Eastern Illinois at No. 5 Illinois State
    Hancock Stadium (13,391) • Normal, Ill.
    Sept. 17, 2016 • 2 p.m. • TV: Comcast Sports Net Chicago

NOTES TO KNOW
    • Eastern Illinois beat Miami (Ohio) 21-17 on Saturday marking the sixth time the Panthers have beaten an FBS school. The last win over an FBS team was in 2013, a 40-19 win over San Diego State. Five of the six wins have come against current Mid-American Conference members.

• Mitch Kimble was named the Ohio Valley Conference Offensive Player and Newcomer of the Week. He is the first EIU player to win the OVC Offensive Player award since Shepard Little on Oct. 26, 2014 following an EIU win over Tennessee State.

• Mitch Kimble hit Devin Church with 56 seconds remaining to give EIU the win over Miami. Kimble led two scoring drives for the Panthers in the final 7:53 of the game. The final drive began for EIU with 2:35 left on the clock.

• Nick Horne had a second quarter interception giving Eastern Illinois its first turnover gained this season. Last season EIU was third in the nation in turnovers gained with 31 and seventh in the country in interceptions with 19.

• This will mark the 15th time that Eastern Illinois and Illinois State have played the Mid-America Classic with at least one of the teams ranked. Illinois State is currently ranked No. 5 in the nation while EIU is one of the first teams also receiving votes in both polls.

• Eastern Illinois and Illinois State have had three games decided by overtime including last year's 34-31 ISU victory at O'Brien Field in Charleston.

• Last season Eastern Illinois made its 16th FCS playoff appearance. That total ranks sixth all-time for FCS playoff appearance. EIU has made ten playoff appearances since 2000.

THE SERIES
    • This will be the 105th playing of the Mid-America Classic with Illinois State holding a 54-41-9 all-time series lead after snapping the home school's winning streak in the series last season. ISU won at O'Brien Field, 34-31, in overtime last season for the first win by a road team since EIU won in Normal in 2008. The rivalry is the 14th oldest in the FCS and the oldest FCS rivalry in the state of Illinois. The two schools began playing for a traveling trophy at the 100th meeting in 2012, that game was won by Eastern Illinois.
    "A hard woman is good to find"

My Team
    Illinois State

Re: EIU - ISU Meet For 105th Mid-America Classic

only post that had no replies. Even the YSU/RM game had more interest, judging by the view (and replies). Well, this has always been a great rivalry, no matter what the spread is supposed to be. I think every year, this is how either team will judge how the rest of the year will go. Even with the tough loss last year, EIU went on to be one of the premier teams of the OVC. This will probably be ISU's toughest OOC game, no question--if EIU can get off the field in 3, this could be the makings of a tight game.
    AKA: SanAntonioBird!

My Team
    Northern Iowa

I don't know what to make of this game. Seems like it doesn't matter how good either team is before or after.

I want to pick EIU by around 4, but with it being in Normal I have to think ISUr will pull this off.

My Team
    Western Illinois

EIU - ISU Meet For 105th Mid-America Classic

I know I'll be paying really close attention since we're very familiar with both teams and we play both this season.

ISUr is our most played rivalry. I think that EIU is #2.

I think that ISU takes this one by about 10, but it'll be a good test to see how we might match up with the Redbirds.
    Admin of LeatherneckNation.net
    Alumnus/Employee/Fan of Western Illinois University
    WIU Marching Leathernecks - 1996-2000

My Team
    Illinois State

Always a good game when these two play. Much like playing any of the in-state FCS schools I throw out the record.

This will come down to which team controls the ball and commits the fewest turnovers.

Birds by 4.

ISU 24
    EIU 20

Top FCS Advocate

Game will come down to ISU's defense. If they can get off the field on 3rd downs, it's a double digit win.

If they can't.. we have another field goal game either way.

Love this rivalry.

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Jax State

Go EIU. Win one for the OVC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the Redbirds by 10. This is definitely one of those "throw out the records" kind of rivalry games....should be a dandy war. ISU has won 21 of 22 in beautiful Hancock Stadium. Looking forward to the showdown between the Birds and the EIU Panthers.

GO BIRDS!

My Team
    Alabama State

Give me the Birds by 7