Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Princeton-Rutgers Football 2019

First Class FCS Ruler Son of Eli's Avatar
    My Team
    Yale

Princeton-Rutgers Football 2019

If you would like to see Princeton play Rutgers in 2019 to mark the 150th anniversary of college football please sign this petition:

https://www.change.org/p/rutgers-uni...edium=copylink

Here is some background on the issues surrounding this proposed game:

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/in...ibility_o.html

My Team
    James Madison

Re: Princeton-Rutgers Football 2019

We need a petition to get this game on the schedule?! Seriously?! ESPN should be jumping at the chance to air this on 11/6/19 on a Wednesday night on their flagship channel.

The game was even played at Rutgers, so the Big 10 team doesn't have to eat its pride and "play at an FCS school".

This would require Princeton to play two weeks early, of course.

This will take more than a petition, of course. It will take a network to tell the Big 10 what to do.

It certainly works for the ACC, which has been following ESPN's direction for years:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.V6i4TfkrLIU
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

My Team
    Yale

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    We need a petition to get this game on the schedule?! Seriously?! ESPN should be jumping at the chance to air this on 11/6/19 on a Wednesday night on their flagship channel.

The game was even played at Rutgers, so the Big 10 team doesn't have to eat its pride and "play at an FCS

school".
    Princeton needs to be convinced to play it. Bob Surace, the Princeton coach, is ambivalent towards the game. Here's his quote on the matter from the previously posted article:

"Our previous AD, Gary Walters, talked about it back in January but it didn't really go anywhere,'' Surace said. "When our new AD, Mollie Marcoux, got the job, I guess she spoke with (Rutgers AD) Julie (Hermann) about it. (Marcoux) actually sat down with me about it, and I shared my concern that it doesn't make a lot of sense to play a team that has several more games under their belt than we have. It's a Big Ten team. There's nothing to gain for us from a football perspective. As good as they are, that would put us in a difficult position. It sounded like it kind of ended then.
    "But you never know. It's five years away. To me, that's an eternity.''

My Team
    James Madison

omg if ivy league schools are this indifferent about athletics, why even sponsor them to begin with? why not just drop all programs and then you'll really look solely focused on academics.

My Team
    Yale

Quote Originally Posted by RootinFerDukes View Post
    omg if ivy league schools are this indifferent about athletics, why even sponsor them to begin with? why not just drop all programs and then you'll really look solely focused on academics.

You have no idea how frustrating it is to be to an Ivy League football fan sometimes. That's why I'm asking for the support of the AGS community on this petition.

Hopefully if this game gets played there will be a paradigm shift amongst the Ivy League Presidents resulting in FCS playoff participation.
    Last edited by Son of Eli; August 8th, 2016 at 12:30 PM.

FCS Champion
    My Team
    Jax State

Whoever wrote this article makes Rutgers sound like a major power. I think they'd win, but it's not like Princeton would be playing Ohio State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ambien of AGS

My Team

Quote Originally Posted by dgtw View Post
    Whoever wrote this article makes Rutgers sound like a major power. I think they'd win, but it's not like Princeton would be playing Ohio State.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But... But.... B1G! Power conference! They have to be good.

Hey I mean Rutgers did win 4 games last year. Granted only 1 was over any team that was in a bowl, and the other two FBS teams they beat had 2 wins combined. But they did get 4 wins last year. Sounds like a powerhouse to me.

My Team
    James Madison

Could this be a matter of pride for Princeton? You have two of the "first" college football programs. One not only won that first game but is now in a Power Five conference (Big 10) at the pinnacle of modern day college football, albeit not particularly competitive in that conference or nationally. Meanwhile, you have Princeton, that along with their Ivy League brethren were once considered some of the top tier of college football before they chose to de-emphasize big time college sports and go I-AA in 1978. They may not want the stark national reminder of just how distant Ivy programs are from their "glory days".

It may be better to just not compete and hope no one notices.