Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AFL-CIO Comes to Hanover

AFL-CIO Comes to Hanover

Dartmouth hoops team votes 13-2 to unionize under the SEIU banner. I’m sure that GoGreen, the George Meany of the Ivy League, is 100% behind his guys!

Seriously, what do people think of this development? Will it spread to FCS football? Are athletes just workers who need union protection for “laboring in the vineyard” in this era of NIL and the transfer portal?
    Last edited by Ivytalk; March 6th, 2024 at 08:43 PM.

Re: AFL-CIO Comes to Hanover

Quote Originally Posted by Ivytalk View Post
    Dartmouth hoops team votes 13-2 to unionize under the SEIU banner. I’m sure that GoGreen, the George Meany of the Ivy League, is 100% behind his guys!

Seriously, what do people think of this development? Will it spread to FCS football? Are athletes just workers who need union protection for “laboring in the vineyard” in this era of NIL and the transfer portal?
    What if Dartmouth chooses not to field a team? The NH union rules can't force them to do so.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

There are evil forces afoot bent on agendas that will send college sports into full self destruct mode.

AGS FCS Champion

Fear of change is pretty natural. New models for collegiate athletics are a given at this point. As one of the Dartmouth players pointed out.. "Our Managers have always been paid. We players have not." No question that the NCAA, schools, and conferences have gotten away with restraint of trade forever. College sports will be around, but look a bit different.
    Go Tribe!

My Team
    Chattanooga

Quote Originally Posted by Tribe4SF View Post
    Fear of change is pretty natural. New models for collegiate athletics are a given at this point. As one of the Dartmouth players pointed out.. "Our Managers have always been paid. We players have not." No question that the NCAA, schools, and conferences have gotten away with restraint of trade forever. College sports will be around, but look a bit different.
    Compensation comes in many different forms. Over my professional career, I have been paid in cash, stock, bonus trips, an automobile, etc.... all of which have been taxed. If players are considered employees, their scholarships are now considered compensation and taxed as thus. I know Dartmouth doesn't give traditional athletic scholarships, but now any trip that is above the federal reimbursement rates would need to be taxed. I have a little knowledge of how the NFL paid players a few years ago. They were considered "Entertainers" and as such their compensation was broken down into performances. They received a check for each game. So a 16 game season, they got 1/16 of their pay every week. And that check was taxed based on the location of the performance i.e. when playing the Jets you are hit with NY state Taxes, the Titans or the Cowboys, no state taxes, No taxes that week. Now, you have an athletic department that has to try and figure out all this payroll...so at what point do they say screw it, we are offering club sports? Besides, I hate doing my taxes in a state that doesn't even have a state income tax, I can't imagine how complex it would be to do it in 5 or 6 different states every year!
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!​ Every time I see that movie, I root for Xavier!!!!!!!

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by Ivytalk View Post

Karen Carpenter
    these are the good ole days

Karen was wrong

interest in college football was already on the wane and I just don’t see how the direction it’s all going now is going to sustain any type of long-term fan growth ….

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by Tribe4SF View Post
    If that is the way you want to view it. For the vast majority of people, college sports isn't about money or a job. It is an extra curricular activity, not a "job." The monies obtained from the programs fund the athletic departments. The ONLY reason this is an issue is because it is about money and how much some people seem to think they can get out of the system. These are the evil forces I mentioned above. That they will eventually destroy the source of that money by alienating the grassroots fans (other students who grow into adult fans) doesn't seem to compute, unfortunately.

It may survive for a while, but the long term prognosis will be bleak. There is a sense of connection that students and fans feel in regard to the "student athletes" at their school. Make them employees and the connection will be about as close as it is with the janitors or grounds keepers. And in this brave new world of change, while janitors and ground keepers are actually necessary, a jobs program for "employee athletes" isn't necessary and ripe for budget cuts at the vast majority of schools. So who will ultimately suffer?

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeanhen View Post
    Karen Carpenter
    these are the good ole days

Karen was wrong

interest in college football was already on the wane and I just don’t see how the direction it’s all going now is going to sustain any type of long-term fan growth ….
    There was an increase in TV Ratings for College Football, specifically the CFP and P5.

What does that mean for us? Nothing.

In fact, I won't be surprised if quite a few of us drop scholarships and decrease emphasis on football and athletics in general, turning them into large Club Sport operations. We're honestly about a year and a half from seeing this starting.

Quote Originally Posted by ElCid View Post
    If that is the way you want to view it. For the vast majority of people, college sports isn't about money or a job. It is an extra curricular activity, not a "job." The monies obtained from the programs fund the athletic departments. The ONLY reason this is an issue is because it is about money and how much some people seem to think they can get out of the system. These are the evil forces I mentioned above. That they will eventually destroy the source of that money by alienating the grassroots fans (other students who grow into adult fans) doesn't seem to compute, unfortunately.

It may survive for a while, but the long term prognosis will be bleak. There is a sense of connection that students and fans feel in regard to the "student athletes" at their school. Make them employees and the connection will be about as close as it is with the janitors or grounds keepers. And in this brave new world of change, while janitors and ground keepers are actually necessary, a jobs program for "employee athletes" isn't necessary and ripe for budget cuts at the vast majority of schools. So who will ultimately suffer?
    For some, this could happen. For others, like HBCUs as example, our Homecomings and the experience a games with the Band and atmosphere will force us to find a way to keep it going.

I mean, it would be disastrous for A&T and Greensboro to decimate GHOE because we have to classify Football Players as employees, many of whom take out student loans to pay for college. I can see a scenario where our Homecoming football game is a Club Football game between us and another HBCU that did the same. As long as that weekend isn't touched and our rivalries with NCCU and a couple others aren't touched, we're still going to have a football team.

The same with SC State and a few other HBCUs out here.

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastAggie View Post
    There was an increase in TV Ratings for College Football, specifically the CFP and P5.

What does that mean for us? Nothing.

In fact, I won't be surprised if quite a few of us drop scholarships and decrease emphasis on football and athletics in general, turning them into large Club Sport operations. We're honestly about a year and a half from seeing this starting.
    at what level?

edit: gotcha I see your reply to El Cid