Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A racial double standard amongst quarterbacks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Windmill Cancer Survivor
    My Team
    NDSU

A racial double standard amongst quarterbacks

Football Gameplan has just released this article. http://footballgameplan.com/a-racial...-quarterbacks/ FootballCEO, Emory Hunt is the founder, CEO, owner of the website. At the end of the article they say,
    It’s a fascinating conversation and it’s time for us to have it in the open.
    So let's have it.

I'm gonna just take a couple snippets, but feel free to read the whole article. If Mr. Hunt has figured out how to make money off clicks I'm happy to help him out. http://footballgameplan.com/a-racial...-quarterbacks/

There is a clear and unmistakeable double standard for white and minority quarterbacks.
    Now I could write a small novel about every bias that exist, but instead I will simply point out some “interesting” tidbits associated with this draft.
    In the past 16 years the NFL has drafted a minority QB first among QBs in 6 of those years (Vick, V Young, J Russell, C Newton, EJ Manuel, and J Winston). In 10 of those 16 years a minority QB was drafted in the first round and was either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd QB off the board. So exactly how is the NFL racially biased against minority QBs?

#1: Is Jared Goff equal or better than Jameis Winston as a prospect?
    Alright I don't know how you can fault the NFL because some people rank Goff equal or higher than Winston. We don't know who would be taken first if they were in the same class, and we won't know for years who will be the better quarterback.

#2: How is Carson Wentz better than Vernon Adams again? The only thing I can definitively say that Wentz has an advantage over Adams is in his combine measurables.
    Ok this one I'm gonna come off as a homer, but Wentz is bigger, faster, stronger, has more arm strength, makes better decisions, and is way more advanced in NFL concepts.

#3: Why does Christian Hackenberg get a pass for two seasons of bad play after losing his coach, but Cardale Jones loses his coach and his diminished play is all his fault?
    This one I put both these guys in the wildcard category. It's up to the coach who he thinks he can coach up to be an NFL quarterback. Hackenberg (white QB) was drafted by a black coach. Brisset (black QB) the next QB off the board was drafted by a white coach. Kessler (white QB) the next one off the board was drafted by the Browns who's GM, HC, and QB coach are all black. Two quarterbacks later C Jones was drafted by a white coach. Again, where is the racial bias?

#4: Two of the most dynamic and productive quarterbacks in college football last season can’t even get drafted?
    Admittedly I haven't watched a lot of Boykin. I kind of got turned off when he got caught sneaking out to a bar two nights before his bowl game. As for Vernon Adams, I just don't see his game translating. Adams does great with chaos. Running around buying time and making plays. That doesn't work in the NFL with his small size and he's not overly athletic.

#5: Are people already trying to devalue Deshaun Watson as the undeniable number one pick for next year?
    Here's where you're starting to get overly sensitive. This is a long process and every QB has critics. Watson is a dynamic player, but he has flaws. He runs a spread offense, he's a little undersized, and they utilize him in the run game a lot. I'm perfectly fine putting him in the QB1 spot heading into the season. He's certainly a talented young man. However, just let the process unfold. Winston, Mariota, Goff, and Wentz all had critics. I believe FBGP was and continues to be one of Wentz's biggest.

I’ve tried over the years to steer clear of race and I defend the double standards that exist for white skill positions, but I have not come out and said anything related to black quarterbacks quite honestly for fear of being labeled an “angry black man” or “using the race card”, but the truth is the truth. I would be a hypocrite and ultimately not true to myself if I did not point out these things. So I no longer will. I will address them head on and let the chips fall where they may.
    I welcome legitimate discussions from those who may believe my thoughts are misplaced. But I caution that any argument made that includes the ‘well I have a hidden agenda’ will be met with equal retort.
    I've addressed your points, and I think I've done it respectfully. If you would like to have a conversation, I'm all game.

Your turn, Em. I'm sure Ursus will make your associate a member if he would like to personally respond.

*Ursus I put this in this section so it was view-able to the public. If you would like to dump it in other sports that's your call. It will probably get more traffic from membership there anyway.

I'm no better than you...probably
    My Team
    Montana

Re: A racial double standard amongst quarterbacks

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTru View Post
    Football Gameplan has just released this article. http://footballgameplan.com/a-racial...-quarterbacks/ FootballCEO, Emory Hunt is the founder, CEO, owner of the website. At the end of the article they say,
    So let's have it.

I'm gonna just take a couple snippets, but feel free to read the whole article. If Mr. Hunt has figured out how to make money off clicks I'm happy to help him out. http://footballgameplan.com/a-racial...-quarterbacks/

In the past 16 years the NFL has drafted a minority QB first among QBs in 6 of those years (Vick, V Young, J Russell, C Newton, EJ Manuel, and J Winston). In 10 of those 16 years a minority QB was drafted in the first round and was either the 1st, 2nd or 3rd QB off the board. So exactly how is the NFL racially biased against minority QBs?

Alright I don't know how you can fault the NFL because some people rank Goff equal or higher than Winston. We don't know who would be taken first if they were in the same class, and we won't know for years who will be the better quarterback.

Ok this one I'm gonna come off as a homer, but Wentz is bigger, faster, stronger, has more arm strength, makes better decisions, and is way more advanced in NFL concepts.

This one I put both these guys in the wildcard category. It's up to the coach who he thinks he can coach up to be an NFL quarterback. Hackenberg (white QB) was drafted by a black coach. Brisset (black QB) the next QB off the board was drafted by a white coach. Kessler (white QB) the next one off the board was drafted by the Browns who's GM, HC, and QB coach are all black. Two quarterbacks later C Jones was drafted by a white coach. Again, where is the racial bias?

Admittedly I haven't watched a lot of Boykin. I kind of got turned off when he got caught sneaking out to a bar two nights before his bowl game. As for Vernon Adams, I just don't see his game translating. Adams does great with chaos. Running around buying time and making plays. That doesn't work in the NFL with his small size and he's not overly athletic.

Here's where you're starting to get overly sensitive. This is a long process and every QB has critics. Watson is a dynamic player, but he has flaws. He runs a spread offense, he's a little undersized, and they utilize him in the run game a lot. I'm perfectly fine putting him in the QB1 spot heading into the season. He's certainly a talented young man. However, just let the process unfold. Winston, Mariota, Goff, and Wentz all had critics. I believe FBGP was and continues to be one of Wentz's biggest.

I've addressed your points, and I think I've done it respectfully. If you would like to have a conversation, I'm all game.

Your turn, Em. I'm sure Ursus will make your associate a member if he would like to personally respond.

*Ursus I put this in this section so it was view-able to the public. If you would like to dump it in other sports that's your call. It will probably get more traffic from membership there anyway.
    All good my man. Will be happy to help anyone needing to gain access but I forgot to close registration anyway so people are still signing up.

Looks like a great debate to have in the offseason.

I don't know the answer to this but I'm wondering how large the pool of white QB's is compared to black QB's just so we know ratio's? I mean if you had the same amount of both races you would expect over time that the results would be very similar. If it is heavily weighted to one race then you would expect that race to have an edge I would think.

I don't really care about the draft and have zero idea what the numbers are and will not be looking them up. It just struck me as a thing you would want to know (I ain't doing the research) before making assertions one way or tother.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern

My real name is Bisontownmocks
    My Team
    North Dakota State

@AwfulWhiteQBs

/thread

BisonFan02 Trophy Case:

"Concern ****s with you.......at first."
    -Ursus staring at Grizo's limp carcass on the ground

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

If Em thinks VA is a better QB than Wentz then he has no clue.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Fan in NW MN View Post
    If Em thinks VA is a better QB than Wentz then he has no clue.
    If so and it appears that way I can't give much respect on this. I had VA marked as a camp body for the NFL and most likely a CFL player. My problem with many media folks is their opinion is no more credible than a normal message board poster and it is okay that we all have opinions but don't come on here like you are an expert and then be this far off. If you say Wentz is a PFA or late round guy you better be right or it looks really bad. I don't think Wentz is worth a top 5 pick but I do see him as a solid NFL QB who should go in the 2nd round. That is not a weird evaluation but saying he is a 7th round pick or PFA looks bad. What about his game makes him look that bad, you know?
    Last edited by smallcollegefbfan; April 15th, 2017 at 09:28 AM.

Funniest of the not funny TheRevSFA's Avatar
    My Team
    Stephen F. Austin

For every Cam Newton, you have 5 Troy Smiths, JaMarcus Russells, or Akili Smiths.
    Funniest of the not funny since 2018

I'm no better than you...probably
    My Team
    Montana

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevSFA View Post
    For every Cam Newton, you have 5 Troy Smiths, JaMarcus Russells, or Akili Smiths.
    Yeah, but is that any different on the white side of the equation. I mean, that is a tough position and very few can even make it there so I'd asume the same would be true on both side of the ledger.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/signaturepics/sigpic2954_4.gif
    "At Georgia Southern, we don't cheat.......That costs money and we don't have any."
    Erk Russell - Georgia Southern

Funniest of the not funny TheRevSFA's Avatar
    My Team
    Stephen F. Austin

Quote Originally Posted by ursus arctos horribilis View Post
    Yeah, but is that any different on the white side of the equation. I mean, that is a tough position and very few can even make it there so I'd asume the same would be true on both side of the ledger.
    For every Peyton Manning there's five Johnny Manziels, Ryan Leafs, David Carrs

so yes it's on both sides
    Funniest of the not funny since 2018

My Team
    North Dakota State

I dont think the NFL is so short sighted that they would pass up a QB because he wasnt white. The NFL and its teams are all about winning. Winning = $$$$$$. If a non white QB can help them win and make money you can bet they are going to take him.
    With that said Im of the mind that this is just another witch hunt. Certain groups have to find a reason for their groups failings or lack of success. Usually that results in finger pointing and playing the race card instead of looking within to determine why they dont qualify or arent good enough. The latter is hard to do. Playing the blame game is the easy way out.
    It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

Opportunity is unattainable for most people because it is disguised as hard work!!

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

My Team
    NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonoline View Post
    With that said Im of the mind that this is just another witch hunt. Certain groups have to find a reason for their groups failings or lack of success. Usually that results in finger pointing and playing the race card instead of looking within to determine why they dont qualify or arent good enough. The latter is hard to do. Playing the blame game is the easy way out.
    To be fair, there are many individuals who are able to do both. People who can bust their asses to get where they need to be, but also are able to point out how the deck is stacked against them. Unrelated to this topic there are lots of areas where there are legitimate issues that play a role in discrepancies (of course people can compound these problems with the blame game). If a level-headed conversation can be had all the better.