Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Carson Wentz 2016 NFL Draft Chatter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS FCS Champion

Carson Wentz 2016 NFL Draft Chatter

Might as well start the catch all thread for Wentz because there's going to be a lot of press about him over the next 3 and a half months.

Currently both Mel Kiper Jr and Todd McShay have him in their first round mock drafts and I'd imagine he has a better chance of rising into the top half of the first round than he does of falling out of it since so many teams need QBs and this is a weak QB class according to the experts I've heard from. In any case it seems very likely Wentz is the first FCS player off the board in this year's NFL draft.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

My real name is Bisontownmocks
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Re: Carson Wentz 2016 NFL Draft Chatter

Things could get interesting post Senior Bowl and Combine.......
    BisonFan02 Trophy Case:

"Concern ****s with you.......at first."
    -Ursus staring at Grizo's limp carcass on the ground

AGS FCS Champion

Well, the Wentz hype train has officially left the station is picking up steam in a big way. Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com has Wentz going #4 overall to the Cowboys in his latest mock draft: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/mock-d...eremiah/275602

Some "draft expert" in the twittersphere seemed to think that if Wentz impresses at the Senior Bowl he may not be there for the Cowboys at #4. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Dallas since the Cowboys have Romo entrenched as the starter for at least the next year but I'd be a bit worried if Wentz went that high because the expectation would be that he should be able to start right away or early in his rookie season and I don't think that's a reasonable expectation for him.

At this point I wonder if Wentz even throws at the NFL Combine with as high as his stock is soaring? Last year the top QBs bucked the trend of top QB prospects not throwing at the combine and hopefully that continues because I'd like to see all the skills these guys have to offer on display at the NFL Combine.

Also, WTH did Connor Cook decline his Senior Bowl invite? By most accounts he's behind Wentz, Jared Goff, and Paxton Lynch so it's not like he's a bona fide 1st rounder (as Wentz is trending towards). It just seems silly he'd turn down the chance to compete in front of scouts for every single NFL team against top competition. That can't look good in the eyes of teams when there are already questions about his character.
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the 9-time NCAA Division 1 Football National Champion North Dakota State Bison.

Windmill Cancer Survivor
    My Team
    NDSU

To follow up on the Twitter stuff the guy who said he might not be there at four also said don't assume it's Cleveland either.

Here's my WAY the **** off the wall thought, Tennessee trades Mariotta to SF for their first, Chip gets his guy Tennessee gets Wentz and a high first.

Way to early just some wishful thinking. He ends up #1 and he doesn't have to go to Cleveland.

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTru View Post
    To follow up on the Twitter stuff the guy who said he might not be there at four also said don't assume it's Cleveland either.

Here's my WAY the **** off the wall thought, Tennessee trades Mariotta to SF for their first, Chip gets his guy Tennessee gets Wentz and a high first.

Way to early just some wishful thinking. He ends up #1 and he doesn't have to go to Cleveland.
    I have told others this but if I'm a top QB I want my agent to inform Cleveland not to draft me. That organization has to prove it won't mess up a mid or late round QB before I would go as a top tier guy. I would rather go 6th or 20th overall and not go to Cleveland than go 4th and have to go there.

Windmill Cancer Survivor
    My Team
    NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by SmallCollegeFBFan View Post
    I have told others this but if I'm a top QB I want my agent to inform Cleveland not to draft me. That organization has to prove it won't mess up a mid or late round QB before I would go as a top tier guy. I would rather go 6th or 20th overall and not go to Cleveland than go 4th and have to go there.
    Honestly I'm more scared of Chip Kelly. I don't see him working out in SF, and if he does I think a lot of credit would go to him even if Wentz deserves it. Cleveland is growing a little more on me with Hue, plus I thought Manziel was bust from the get go, so I'm not really holding that one against them.

What's your thoughts on the Wentz hype? Are NFL teams as high on him as the media (first second quarterback taken)?

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTru View Post
    Honestly I'm more scared of Chip Kelly. I don't see him working out in SF, and if he does I think a lot of credit would go to him even if Wentz deserves it. Cleveland is growing a little more on me with Hue, plus I thought Manziel was bust from the get go, so I'm not really holding that one against them.

What's your thoughts on the Wentz hype? Are NFL teams as high on him as the media (first second quarterback taken)?
    On Manziel, I would have never drafted him. I told people before the draft he is a bust and I would not even sign as a UDFA. Cleveland was the only team willing to take him high and to be fair you have to consider if Cleveland has ever had a 1st round QB pan out. What QB have they drafted who turned in to a Pro Bowler in the last 15-20 years?

If Wentz fits in what Kelly wants then he may work out but I don't trust the GM and owner in SF. If Chip Kelly stays on the field and is clear about what he wants he will do okay with a QB but what he struggles with is his style. Remember, in college you have 85 scholarships so that fast pace tempo won't wear you down like it does with 46 active players in the NFL. These guys get worn down after fast starts. It happened in Philadelphia. He needs 2 very good QBs and at least 6-7 good WRs, which is HARD to do in the NFL.

As for Wentz, I like him. I would personally want him in the late 1st or early 2nd so I don't have to play him right away but it does appear he is going to be a top 15 pick. I feel bad when I see a small schooler possibly over drafted and put in a bad situation because I see him as a good starter in the NFL but I fear where he goes. If he goes to the right situation, I definitely see him as a good NFL player.

As for NFL teams, many have him high and a few don't. I know of a couple scouts who have him as a 3rd-4th rounder while many others have him as a top 15-20 pick. Nobody values him as a top 3-5 player overall but the need of QB pushes them all up. That's why a 5th round talent in Manziel goes 1st, that's why Manuel of FSU goes 1st instead of 4th, etc. The only steals at QB like Brady and Wilson are because of bad athletic ability or lack of height. Any QB who has the ideal size, speed, and arm will go higher than the internal value teams have on them.

I have been saying for 3 years that a NFL team should target a QB in every draft whether in the top 50 or in mid rounds or late rounds. It should depend on need but with so few good ones bring in 1 and make sure you always have 3, with at least 2 good enough to get on the field, or else late in the year you find yourself in big trouble if an injury happens.

With the speed of Denver, could you have imagined how bad they beat Carolina if Newton had gone down in NFC Championship game and the Panthers had to trot Derek Anderson out on the field, who has very little mobility? Could have been a 35 point game.

Windmill Cancer Survivor
    My Team
    NDSU

As for NFL teams, many have him high and a few don't. I know of a couple scouts who have him as a 3rd-4th rounder while many others have him as a top 15-20 pick. Nobody values him as a top 3-5 player overall but the need of QB pushes them all up. That's why a 5th round talent in Manziel goes 1st, that's why Manuel of FSU goes 1st instead of 4th, etc. The only steals at QB like Brady and Wilson are because of bad athletic ability or lack of height. Any QB who has the ideal size, speed, and arm will go higher than the internal value teams have on them.
    A couple more questions, what's your thoughts on this QB class? Personally I don't think there is that high end no brainer top 5 QB, but there seems to be some really good depth in this class. I (obviously) like Wentz and think Goff would be solid as well. Lynch has a lot of tools you like with few red flags like simplicity of his offense. Cook has been high on the radar for a while with a few leadership concerns. Hackenberg hasn't looked great, but there's some rumblings he may make a 180 if he gets back to a pro style offense. And I think Dak Prescott (unlikely but possible) could be the next Russell Wilson.

How would you rank these quarterbacks?

Windmill Cancer Survivor
    My Team
    NDSU

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Cleveland might actually have a good coach now. Plus, they have some good pieces to start with now.....OL is one of them. Having a solid QB that produces would do wonders for Cleveland.