Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated/Underrated Teams Of The AGS Era

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS World Heavyweight Champion
    My Team
    Bobby Heenan School of Broadcast Journalism

Most Overrated/Underrated Teams Of The AGS Era

So I took a look back at all of the Top 25 pre-season polls and compared them to the final poll each year to find out what teams are the most overrated by AGS voters and the most underrated by AGS voters year after year in a comparison of where they begin and end in the polls. Here ya go...

Overrated (in order by most overrated teams first):
    1) Northern Iowa
    2) Delaware
    3) McNeese State
    4) James Madison
    5) Furman
    6) Montana
    7) Massachusetts
    8) Cal Poly
    9) Elon
    10) Montana State

#11 is a tie between Northwestern State and Southeast Missouri State if you want to ignore UMass now.

Underrated (in order by most underrated teams first):
    1) Harvard
    2) Sam Houston State
    3) Coastal Carolina
    4) South Carolina State
    5) Texas State
    6) Old Dominion
    7) Penn
    8) Jacksonville State
    9) Illinois State
    10) Bethune-Cookman

If you want to ignore Texas State & Old Dominion, they would be replaced by #11 Eastern Kentucky and a 3-way tie at #12 with South Dakota State, Fordham, and Eastern Washington.

Discuss...
    University of Delaware: Cop Free Since 1743
    Brock Free Since 10-16
    Lunch by invitation only

AGS FCS Champion
    My Team
    The Citadel

Re: Most Overrated/Underrated Teams Of The AGS Era

Quote Originally Posted by superman7515 View Post
    So I took a look back at all of the Top 25 pre-season polls and compared them to the final poll each year to find out what teams are the most overrated by AGS voters and the most underrated by AGS voters year after year in a comparison of where they begin and end in the polls. Here ya go...

Overrated (in order by most overrated teams first):
    1) Northern Iowa
    2) Delaware
    3) McNeese State
    4) James Madison
    5) Furman (sucks)
    6) Montana
    7) Massachusetts
    8) Cal Poly
    9) Elon
    10) Montana State

#11 is a tie between Northwestern State and Southeast Missouri State if you want to ignore UMass now.

Underrated (in order by most underrated teams first):
    1) Harvard
    2) Sam Houston State
    3) Coastal Carolina
    4) South Carolina State
    5) Texas State
    6) Old Dominion
    7) Penn
    8) Jacksonville State
    9) Illinois State
    10) Bethune-Cookman

If you want to ignore Texas State & Old Dominion, they would be replaced by #11 Eastern Kentucky and a 3-way tie at #12 with South Dakota State, Fordham, and Eastern Washington.

Discuss...
    FIFY, before Citdog did.

My Team
    White Bear Lake

You gotta be worth noticing to get "overrated"...just say'n...
    I work for Harvard...so you know I'm well-endowed.

Preseason polls are worthless. Heck, anything before week 5 is just a wild guess.

AGS World Heavyweight Champion
    My Team
    Bobby Heenan School of Broadcast Journalism

Quote Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
    You gotta be worth noticing to get "overrated"...just say'n...
    That's kind of my point. We, collectively, continue to overvalue the same teams season after season at the beginning of the year, while ignoring teams that prove more often than not we aren't giving them the consideration they deserve. Basically allowing UNI, Delaware, and McNeese (they were the most overrated by a wide margin) to get by on name recognition while continuing to look down on schools like Coastal Carolina, SC State, and Jacksonville State because they aren't from one of the perceived "power" conferences. So these overrated teams we think are worth noticing, more often than not, aren't worth as much as we assume.

Quote Originally Posted by PAllen View Post
    Preseason polls are worthless. Heck, anything before week 5 is just a wild guess.
    That's true, but if you want preseason polls to be better, you have to recognize trends and work to remove biases. Just ignoring it and chalking it up to "that's how they all are" sounds like the arguments on the Poli board. Haha
    University of Delaware: Cop Free Since 1743
    Brock Free Since 10-16
    Lunch by invitation only

AGS FCS Champion

That's kind of my point. We, collectively, continue to overvalue the same teams season after season at the beginning of the year, while ignoring teams that prove more often than not we aren't giving them the consideration they deserve. Basically allowing UNI, Delaware, and McNeese (they were the most overrated by a wide margin) to get by on name recognition while continuing to look down on schools like Coastal Carolina, SC State, and Jacksonville State because they aren't from one of the perceived "power" conferences. So these overrated teams we think are worth noticing, more often than not, aren't worth as much as we assume.

That's true, but if you want preseason polls to be better, you have to recognize trends and work to remove biases. Just ignoring it and chalking it up to "that's how they all are" sounds like the arguments on the Poli board. Haha
    See Cocky's post below.

I started ranking JSU and Coastal higher after they won a couple of playoff games. The same goes for Fordham and EIU a couple years back after I had a chance to watch them live and see them win against better competition. They actually looked like they belong in the playoffs. As for SCSU, not until the MEAC shows some serious improvement.

Part of the problem is OOC schedules remaining regional as well as first round playoff games. What's the record of the Big South and MEAC when they are not playing each other or feasting on a down Southern?

That's why I love seeing Montana play Liberty (feather in the cap to the Big South), Samford playing CAU, SIU and Liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by kalm View Post
    See Cocky's post below.

I started ranking JSU and Coastal higher after they won a couple of playoff games. The same goes for Fordham and EIU a couple years back after I had a chance to watch them live and see them win against better competition. They actually looked like they belong in the playoffs. As for SCSU, not until the MEAC shows some serious improvement.

Part of the problem is OOC schedules remaining regional as well as first round playoff games. What's the record of the Big South and MEAC when they are not playing each other or feasting on a down Southern?

That's why I love seeing Montana play Liberty (feather in the cap to the Big South), Samford playing CAU, SIU and Liberty.
    I tend to agree. But I also remember that in 2008 and 2009, SCSU had App on the ropes in Boone during the playoffs. Not a good team to underestimate.

Major FCS Advocate
    My Team
    All FCS

Classic human bias

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Team
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by PAllen View Post
    And even look at this year's poll. Who would have thought?
    "That said, there are some ***holes in the world that just need to be shot. There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim. ? It’s really a hell of a lot of fun. You’re gonna have a blast out here!"

-General Mattis adresses a group of 200 marines in Afghanistan

Proud Member of the AGS Wine and Cheese Crowd

I don't think the overrated teams are a big surprise. With the exception of Elon you have historically strong programs that are going to be given more credit pre-season than teams that lack the history.

Harvard leading the underrated is not a surprise either. They start out low because everyone knows that don't play a very difficult schedule and find it difficult to compare them to the rest of FCS and as they go through their schedule with minimal losses they rise in the polls
    Ah Horse Feathers!

I don't know what they have to say, It makes no difference anyway, Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    No matter what it is or who commenced it, I'm against it!
    Your proposition may be good, But let's have one thing understood: Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    And even when you've changed it or condensed it, I'm against it!