Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lafayette Football "Isn't Fun Anymore"

Lafayette Football "Isn't Fun Anymore"

Recently I was having a discussion with someone about Pard4Life’s comment that Lafayette football “isn’t fun anymore.” It then occurred to me that “anymore” assumes that at one time or another it actually was fun. I blurted out that the drought in Lafayette football is approaching the 70 year mark and counting. Can that be? Not possible. I put together some statistics using the arbitrary cut-off of 1950 as somehow the dividing point between “modern” football and the days of the leather helmet. So, here are some stats to get the discussion – and the venom - going:

1950-2014

Overall record = 301-353-11 (A winning percentage of 45.3%)

No of winning seasons = 25 (Out of 64 = 39.1%)

Most consecutive winning seasons in 64 years = 3 (3 times)

Most consecutive losing seasons in 64 years = 9

Most wins in a season = 9 (1981)

I’m pretty sure that if you leave out Georgetown who isn’t too serious about football anyway (cue the DFW rant), only Bucknell might rival this extended period of Patriot League pigskin ineptitude.

NOTE: I gave some thought as to whether this might enrage the folks on the Lafayette board, but since I’ve been drummed out of that fraternity anyway, … Facts are facts.

Re: Lafayette Football "Isn't Fun Anymore"

Lafayette football had a pretty good run from 2002-2009. They were one of the better teams in the PL during this time, and I'm sure plenty of people were having fun at Fischer Field. 56-36 record with 3 PLCs.

But from 2010 on, it's been really bad. 1-4 this season, and in all four losses Lafayette has field to reach double digits in points scored.

Also, what's with the departure from the Lafayette board, C2?

Quote Originally Posted by carney2 View Post
    I’m pretty sure that if you leave out Georgetown who isn’t too serious about football anyway (cue the DFW rant), only Bucknell might rival this extended period of Patriot League pigskin ineptitude.
    Since you asked...

Georgetown, 1950-2014

Overall record = 214-240-2 (A winning percentage of 47.1%, better than LC)

No of winning seasons = 23 (Out of 50 = 46.0% , better than LC)

Most consecutive winning seasons in 50 years = 6 , better than LC)

Most consecutive losing seasons in 50 years = 10, not as good)

Most wins in a season = 9 (1998,1999 same as LC)

Last edited by DFW HOYA; October 6th, 2015 at 03:50 PM.
    Georgetown: "We play where we do not compete, and compete where we do not play."

I can't go back to before the Russo era since that is ancient history I cannot speak to with any confidence. Since 1980 we've had a few spurts of very good, but never great, and have had trouble maintaining much consistency. We had some really solid teams in the 80's and early 90's. Much like Holy Cross those teams would crush the teams we have today! Frank had it rolling for most of the 00's, but losing key assistants did him in.

I will agree that outside of a few euphoric moments (a few games in 2013 and 150), Lafayette football has been ugly to watch since 2010.

My Team
    Lafayette

Why it's not fun anymore:

- double digit blowouts and not looking like we belong on the field

- single digit scoring. Yawn.

- same mistakes, same excuses

- we now have scholarships and we look worse than 2012. The main reason we were bad was we did not have good players because aid was cut. Now? The jig is up.

- QB regresses each year

- expectations: we have to turn a corner at some point but it never happens

- half the stadium leave at half

- you know which games we wil win and which games we will lose in the preseason!

- the other PL teams sans one are just as bad

- the administration accepts it despite alumni efforts and money

- 150 was supposed to psyche up the program

- team folds when something goes wrong ie no show: some quote hinted as much in the Fordham game article

- Columbia, the worst team (ok maybe not Savanah State) gets a new coach and despite the same inept guys from a year ago, show fight and ability in each game.

- you are missing other great games on TV and can't change the channel at Fisher

- you are married to this thing and can't get off the train

AGS FCS Champion

Perspective perhaps. I've been around our teams since the early 60s( the dawn of time according to my kids). Over the last 50 years ,Lehigh has had more success than Pards. The younger fans now get hyperbolic over 5-6 years. I vividly recall when we didn't win that many in 5 years. Just my perspective,not to diminish their disappointment with the last few years. Today both of us are going thru the growing pains of adapting to schollies. Agree with FT that some of those teams could beat the crap out of today's squads. Different world 15 yrs ago. No AI,roster cap. We had a great niche to get good players. Recruiting is not the same today.

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

This is really going to put a damper on my upcoming book "The Rivalry: The Next 50 Years".
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)

The
    Time
    Is
    Now

Top FCS Advocate

As one of the 700 or so that attended the Leopard-Ram fray last Saturday, a few comments. One. What a great place Fisher Field is! And the football house is quite impressive. The concession stands were also quite good with polite, charming folks behind the counters. Two, what a special place is the historic district in Easton. I felt like I was in Brooklyn Heights or Georgetown. The College is quite impressive with what appears to be a building for every ten of the 2,200 students. The only criticism I would have is that it appears to have been a new architectural theme with each new edifice, a veritable smorgasbord of design. I know it was a miserable weekend but there were no students! The Leopards lack speed! Coach Moorhead made it a recruiting priority so should the Leopards.

AGS FCS Champion Bogus Megapardus's Avatar
    My Team
    Lafayette College

Lafayette football will be fun this weekend.