Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Taking Up For Carson Wentz

The NDSU QB was not included on the STATS list and this Bison Blogger seems to take offense at that. He does make some excellent points about playing good under pressure.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/all...n-quarterback/

AGS Governor-General of South Canada NoDak 4 Ever's Avatar

Re: Taking Up For Carson Wentz

Let's just put it this way. I wouldn't trade Carson Wentz for ANYBODY.
    The reason Ursus says "probably"

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak 4 Ever View Post
    Let's just put it this way. I wouldn't trade Carson Wentz for ANYBODY.
    Anybody??? I'm going to assume you mean any FCS qb.
    Skim milk is water.

Quote Originally Posted by 344Johnson View Post
    Anybody??? I'm going to assume you mean any FCS qb.
    Anybody. This is the extent to which I'm going to feed the troll. Nothing more.

AGS FCS Master

The simple fact is the other QB's play in offenses that will produce higher statistics for the quarterback then NDSU's does. I wouldn't trade Carson for any other quarterback on that list.

Dewey
    "You're not defined by a moment, you're defined by your body of work, and that's the best body of work in college football." NDSU head football coach Chris Klieman

I was surprised at how good Wentzs #s were. I still don't think you can scream and yell that he factually is a better QB than Huesman though. Huesmans numbers are a little better. Wentzs team won the national title. NDSUs fans are a little over outraged though. He is a 2nd year starter. The previous 3 national titles can't be credited to him.

QB is one of the few positions that you don't necessarily want the "BEST" one....but the BEST one for your system. My best Example is What Steve Spurrier did with Danny Wurful and Tim Teebow....Neither were the BEST, but I'll bet he wouldn't have traded them for anyone else...Could you see Jamis Winston in Spurrier's system? TRAIN WRECK!!!!!!
    I STILL HATE MARSHALL!

Let's compare Carson to the one other quarterback on that list that I've seen, Tre Roberson. For all his athleticism and whatever, a large part of the loss in that game can be attributed to him. He clearly left too much time on the clock with his 55 yard run. You might blame that on the OC but when they got on offense again, he got an illegal substitution penalty for trying to clock to ball too fast with too many players still on the field and scrambled a ton of time off the clock with his happy feet.

Juxtapose that with Carson. When we was under pressure, he got rid of the ball. He didn't run if he didn't have to because the clock would have kept running. On his final pass, he knew the zero blitz was coming and he had a plan before the ball was snapped what he would do. He made sure Crockett would pick up the blitzer on his weak side and he threw it up to where his receiver could make a play on it.

You can be as athletic as you want but when it comes down to ice water in the veins, CW has it.

AGS FCS Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak 4 Ever View Post
    Let's compare Carson to the one other quarterback on that list that I've seen, Tre Roberson. For all his athleticism and whatever, a large part of the loss in that game can be attributed to him. He clearly left too much time on the clock with his 55 yard run. You might blame that on the OC but when they got on offense again, he got an illegal substitution penalty for trying to clock to ball too fast with too many players still on the field and scrambled a ton of time off the clock with his happy feet.

Juxtapose that with Carson. When we was under pressure, he got rid of the ball. He didn't run if he didn't have to because the clock would have kept running. On his final pass, he knew the zero blitz was coming and he had a plan before the ball was snapped what he would do. He made sure Crockett would pick up the blitzer on his weak side and he threw it up to where his receiver could make a play on it.

You can be as athletic as you want but when it comes down to ice water in the veins, CW has it.
    Trying to put any blame on Roberson because there was too much time left is quite a stretch. Had the Illinois State defense stopped NDSU he would have engineered a game winning drive for the National Championship and been a huge part of a 2 score fourth quarter comeback.

If I have time later I will post a comparison of all of the quarterbacks statistics.

Dewey
    "You're not defined by a moment, you're defined by your body of work, and that's the best body of work in college football." NDSU head football coach Chris Klieman

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    Trying to put any blame on Roberson because there was too much time left is quite a stretch. Had the Illinois State defense stopped NDSU he would have engineered a game winning drive for the National Championship and been a huge part of a 2 score fourth quarter comeback.

If I have time later I will post a comparison of all of the quarterbacks statistics.

Dewey
    I've watched that 4th quarter 100 times easily. Forget the go ahead TD for ISU. NDSU gets the ball back with 1:35 and immediately gets a procedure penalty so it's 1st and 15.

You see Wentz take the snap, progress through his reads and toss a dart right to Urzendowski - 7 seconds
    Next Snap sees RJ loose on the outside, another 1st down. 25 seconds down
    Next play sees Crockett has a step and improvises a long pass down the sideline, incomplete 33 seconds down
    Next play under pressure throws it away 38 seconds down
    Next play was the bomb to RJ now some time to kill so they run for the TD

Every play he was standing tall in the pocket with a solid plan on what to do with the ball every single play.

----------------------------

Roberson gets the ball back with 33 seconds to go but only needs to get to FG range.

First play pass for first down - so far so good
    Next play is the clock with the guy running off the field so illegal substitution - 24 seconds to go but only needing 40 or so yards
    Under pressure he takes off taking 11 seconds, almost half of the time, off the clock.
    Next play is thrown into double coverage, game over

If you're going to tell me that Tre Roberson is an all-American and Carson Wentz is not, you clearly never saw that.