Thread: I-AA Name Changes?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I-AA Name Changes?

Are there any name changes going on throughout the I-AA landscape prior to this season or projected for the next few years?

I saw that Southwest Missouri State is now becoming Missouri State. Was that met by any problems by other universities in their system? I am not sure who is in their system. And I am guessing that goes into effect this season?

What got me is they point to Southwest Texas become Texas State Univ - San Marcos as one of the schools that benefits greatly. Not sure how that could possibly be true!
    -The Terror-

SMS had been trying to change it for a few years. The big hiccup, University of Misourri in Columbia had been fighting it tooth and nail.

Why would Missouri care?

I know Univ of Texas didn't care when SWT went to Texas State - San Marcos. Then again, Texas State (-San Marcos) is like being a Tennesse State or Georgia State. Not heavyweights in any sense...
    -The Terror-

My Team
    McNeese State

Arrow

I think the name changes for Missouri State and Texas State are a plus to I-AA! 1. It sounds better than the multi-directional names so prevelant among I-AA schools. 2. It does make it easier for the general public to accept simplier names in that one of I-AA's perception problems is that many schools with multi-directional names are considered small schools with no real impact on the college football scene and not taken seriously by not only the public, but the larger media outlets as well.

I think it sounds much better when saying Mcneese state vs. Texas State than Mcneese State vs. southwest texas state? I'm sure some schools change their name in hoping to be considered big time (ul-l), but in my opinion is much easier to market I-AA football with these more acceptable, simple school names..

It may take the general public to fully figure out who they are, but they will take notice more now than they would've with se missouri state and sw missouri state, etc.. At least in Mcneese and Sam Houston's case, among others, having your school named after a person is real unique and you don't ever having to worry about those issues.

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga alums have been making a push the last couple of years to return the name back to just the University of Chattanooga...it has not been a terribly well coordinated effort, but another push will be made (I am on the alumni council) when the new Chancellor is selected. The outgoing Chancellor told me that he felt that the people up in the orange temple in knoxville did not seem overly opposed to the idea (I don't think they care enough about Chattanooga to really give a crap what we want to call ourselves). All sports teams are already officially known as just "the Chattanooga Mocs" anyway...no UT-Chattanooga, TN-Chattanooga, or Tennessee-Chattanooga if you please

For those who don't know, the school was UofC (private) for over 80 years and has now been apart of the UT system for about 35 years.

I don't see why Tennessee would be opposed to it at all. Sounds like a good move and with all these name changes across the country and more notably, UNCC becoming just Charlotte in the last few years in a similar move, seems like the Mocs should go ahead for it whenever your Legislature meets again unless the Regents are for it too.
    -The Terror-

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror
    Why would Missouri care?

I know Univ of Texas didn't care when SWT went to Texas State - San Marcos. Then again, Texas State (-San Marcos) is like being a Tennesse State or Georgia State. Not heavyweights in any sense...

It was some squabble, apparently Missouri had a plaque on campus that said The State University of Missouri (or something to that fact; a bear fan will have to give all the details). Also another thing that Missouri was worried was recruiting.

You have to figure, if a recruit was going to mix up Missouri with Missouri St (formerly SW Missouri St) then were they really the best recruit to bring in? No offense to either, but they're vastly different schools - one would think a campus visit could solve that.
    Proud Member of the Fightin' Blue Hen Nation

Quote Originally Posted by GannonFan
    You have to figure, if a recruit was going to mix up Missouri with Missouri St (formerly SW Missouri St) then were they really the best recruit to bring in? No offense to either, but they're vastly different schools - one would think a campus visit could solve that.
    I like that analogy! Perhaps the folks at Texas State (-San Marcos) should get a lesson in that one. People are smart enough to tell the difference between an Ohio State and a Missouri State. A Florida State and a Georgia State.

Yes, better than double-directional, but some of the arguments I am hearing are downright ridiculous and ego-driven.
    -The Terror-