Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brawl of the Wild.

Brawl of the Wild.

While the smack board has been busy for a few weeks with smack talking by both sides. What does the rest of the AA world think of the 106th Cat/Griz game?

retired
    You can download the I-AA.org Magazine 2004 Fall Preview:
    http://www.i-aa.org/stats/2004FallMagazine/Final.pdf

Brawl of the Wild was the cover story... here are some excerpts:
    SPORTS ILLUSTRATED FEATURE ON THE STATE OF MONTANA:
    State's biggest rivalry:
    Montana - Montana State (73%)
    Greatest athlete: Dave Dickenson of Montana was first with 19% of the votes, followed by Jan Stenerud of Montana State (18%).
    Most hated opponents: Montana State was first with 16% of the votes, and the University of Montana was third with 9%.

THE 2004 COACHES:
    Bobcats Head Coach Mike Kramer began his collegiate coaching career at Montana State in 1983 and the very next year he was on the staff when they won the Division I-AA national title. Montana Head Coach Bobby Hauck began his collegiate coaching career as an assistant coach for the Griz in 1988 and 1989.

MIKE KRAMER, MONTANA STATE:
    "In 2002 we had lost the game 16 years in a row. We played the game and bussed home. At 6 a.m. the next morning I was at work watching the tape of the game. I asked my video tape guys, 'What's wrong with this tape? What's all the white stuff? What's wrong with the exposure?' They said, 'Coach, there's nothing wrong, it snowed the entire game.' The intensity was so great I had no idea it snowed or if it was even cold. I had to confirm it with some of the other coaches before I believed it. Playing in their stadium is one of the unique opportunities that any coach or athlete gets. To stand on top of the ramp, go down onto the playing surface, has been the highlight of my coaching career, my playing career, maybe even my life. It's even better to do that knowing you have a chance to win."

BOBBY HAUCK, MONTANA:
    "I've been involved in the game as a head coach once (2003) and in '88 and '89 as an assistant. My favorite was the '89 game, a very close game and my brother Tim blocked a punt that setup the go-ahead touchdown for us. I grew up 60 miles from Bozeman but I followed the family trend and went to the University of Montana. I've been lucky enough to be involved in many rivalries but this may be the best of them all."
    Top I-AA Rivalries

#4 MONTANA VS. MONTANA STATE

"The Brawl of the Wild"

Games in Series: 103

First Meeting: 1897

Record: Montana leads 64-34-5

Trophy: Great Divide

As the saying goes, throw out the record books when these two teams meet. Even in the lowest of O-for campaigns, a victory in the Cat-Griz (or Griz-Cat) game translates to a successful season. The games haven’t always been close, in fact they’ve been rather lopsided affairs in most years, but the spirit of the old West has always been alive and well in both camps. The fact that this is an in-state rivalry merely adds fuel to this already red-hot fire. It’s been a "streaky" series with one team or the other enjoying years of dominance before the pendulum inevitably swings.

The longest streak in the series was a 16 game stretch won by the Grizzlies that MSU finally broke in 2002.

Perhaps the most exciting game in this wild affair came in 1997 when the Bobcats scored the apparent game-winner with 22 seconds remaining. UM’s streak of (then) 11 straight wins was in jeopardy, but quarterback Brian Ah Yat lofted a 46-yard pass to Justin Olsen, which carried him to the 18 yard line. As time expired, Kris Heppner’s 37-yard field goal sailed true. Montana 27, Montana State 25.

The Great Divide trophy is a relatively new addition to this old series. It was first presented in 2001.

The 3-foot bronze statue features a football perched upon a mountain peak. A bobcat and a grizzly bear are climbing up opposite sides of the mountain. By strange coincidence or just dumb luck, the 46th meeting occurred in 1946 and the game has been played every year since. So it’s easy to remember which game of the series it is. Simply subtract 1900 from the current year and you’ll have the game number.

NFL and MSU all-star Jan Stenerud kicked a (then NCAA record) 59-yard field goal against the Griz in the 1965 "Brawl of the Wild".
    The Brawl was the Survey Game of the Year in 2004, and second the last two years. I think we all have an idea about it. I think all schools would like to have a rivalry of that intensity. :nod:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brawlcollage.jpg  

My Team
    Montana State
    I don't think people have any idea what they're going to get. Both teams have displayed sustained moments of greatness, both teams have been inconsistent at times. Moreover, the griz and the cats both have balanced offenses. The run and the pass have both worked for them, so the defense might be where the game is made. And judging by each team's recent performances, the defense on both sides is pretty solid. Each team has a few stars on defense that have made big plays. I would expect those same players to step up big here. Bottom line: the defense is where the difference in the game is made, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by FTG06'
    I don't think people have any idea what they're going to get. Both teams have displayed sustained moments of greatness, both teams have been inconsistent at times. Moreover, the griz and the cats both have balanced offenses. The run and the pass have both worked for them, so the defense might be where the game is made. And judging by each team's recent performances, the defense on both sides is pretty solid. Each team has a few stars on defense that have made big plays. I would expect those same players to step up big here. Bottom line: the defense is where the difference in the game is made, in my opinion.
    I agree almost everything you said, except I think this game is won on special teams. Which team has better returns, or conversely, better kicks, to set up field position will go along way to determining the winner of The Brawl. Only 4 days!:eek:

My Team
    Montana State
    Quote Originally Posted by grizband
    I agree almost everything you said, except I think this game is won on special teams. Which team has better returns, or conversely, better kicks, to set up field position will go along way to determining the winner of The Brawl. Only 4 days!:eek:
    I apoligize for my overlooking a very important facet of the game!!!:eek: I do agree, special teams are going to be huge! If MSU allows Tuff Harris to rip off another return like he did at UNC, that will be a factor for sure. If either team gets a blocked punt (not at all out of the question by recent events) that will no doubt be a factor. The kicking game is certainly something MSU has been working on (I know because I walk by them practicing almost every day). I don't know about UM, but I'm sure they're talking about it too. Well stated grizband.

My Team
    Montana State
    Matt Doherty seems to think that the score of the Cat/Griz game favors Griz 24-20. Hmmm......why can't Saturday come any faster?

I joined this board last year during the playoffs and after the end of the regular season, so this is the first time in my life that I ever knew in advance that this game is being played. Looked like a goodie going into the season. Once Montana State lost to Chadron State (exactly who/where/what is Chadron State?!!!) I have not given them another thought. Can't believe that a team that loses a game like that could upset the number two team in the country - even with the three points that the betting crowd gives them for being the home team.

Who plays in this game?? Never heard of it.
    No FCS national board comes close to AGS and the great members and visitors make that true day after day. Others want to trumpet their snoot but it is all pollute. Sorry, facts are facts. The AGS community is strong and vibrant, backed by actual numbers. Thanks AGS for being the frontrunner and champ. Imitation is flattering but cheapsters are soon found out.

My Team
    Montana State
    Quote Originally Posted by carney2
    I joined this board last year during the playoffs and after the end of the regular season, so this is the first time in my life that I ever knew in advance that this game is being played. Looked like a goodie going into the season. Once Montana State lost to Chadron State (exactly who/where/what is Chadron State?!!!) I have not given them another thought. Can't believe that a team that loses a game like that could upset the number two team in the country - even with the three points that the betting crowd gives them for being the home team.
    Believe it. It wouldn't be the first time MSU pulls one out of you know where.

Quote Originally Posted by carney2
    Can't believe that a team that loses a game like that could upset the number two team in the country - even with the three points that the betting crowd gives them for being the home team.
    The game is at UM....so the #2 team gets the 3 points.