Quote Originally Posted by OL FU View Post
Interesting didn't know that about Sylva and the movie.

I always assumed, probably incorrectly, that Sylva's entertainment district was dependent on the lack of alcohol sales in Cullowhee. Now that you can buy in Cullowhee.....
Funny you should say that, because when I was at WCU from 2007 - 11, there were a couple grocery stores and one liquor store, which were both in Sylva. Along with that, the only real restaurants you could buy beer at were in downtown Sylva. This used to be a blessing for downtown, but is now a huge burden. During my time in school, downtown Sylva establishments were divided, in that some really liked and welcomed students, and others tried be as inaccessible and unwelcoming as possible to anyone not at least in their mid-30s. Of course, the year after I graduate, alcohol was now being sold both on, and across from campus, at convenience stores and restaurants, making it beyond easy and much safer for the students to get some brews. In turn, this has helped contribute to the downfall of the downtown Sylva restaurants, which has been sad to see happen. Overall, it's really interesting to see how things change on a yearly basis in Cullowhee and the neighboring towns.

Please note that none of this includes that "other" liquor that is available, but not sold in stores