So I'm looking through an article about St. Vincent getting turned down from the NEC, and I get a little bit of insight in regards to what the NEC is thinking in regards to possible expansion from its 11 team composition:

Iamarino said the presidents, apparently taking their cue from conference athletic directors who had met last month in Hershey, felt time is on their side regarding further expansion.

"The athletic directors expressed a feeling that with likely further realignment in the East in terms of conference affiliation, that may shake loose a potential member that would be particularly attractive," he said. "The feeling was to hold the 12th spot in case an attractive member becomes available."

Such attractiveness, Iamarino said, would be measured by such things as introducing the conference to a new market, potential television exposure, and fitting in with a push to increase attendance in both basketball and football.

"An established football program would be a big plus," he said.
Shouldn't this add fuel to the fire that URI is considering reclassification? It's the only realistic "established football program" that could be shaken loose by "realignment in the East" that I can think of. To a lesser extent you could also possibly have UNH or Maine join too, but you've got to think that they have URI in their sights.