Thread: CLENZ'S 14/15 PICK EM EXTRAVAGANZA PRESENTED BY AGS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AGS Circle of Influence Member
    My Team
    Dunder Mifflin

Exclamation CLENZ'S 14/15 PICK EM EXTRAVAGANZA PRESENTED BY AGS

Welcome to clenz's third annual Pick Em Extravaganza presented by AnyGivenSaturday.com! The best pick 'em game in the world (probably not actually true...or even close to true...just go with it)! Last year 41 posters participated throughout the season at one point or another with roughly 22 participating nearly every single week. I hope that the participation stays higher this year, even though last seasons full season participation was nearly double the season before. As people learned last season, the key to this game isn't being the high score every week, or even most weeks, it's playing every week. The form takes all of 3-5 minutes to fill out (on the long side), no reason not to play every week. As proof that it's not about high score each week - I won last season but had the high score, by myself, only twice last season.

There will be some rule changes from the season before so please take the time to read these carefully.

So, without further adieu, he rules are as follows.

1. Game will consist of picking the winner of each top 25 game, a couple interesting unranked FCS match ups, and a couple of FBS match-ups that I find interesting each week. Each correct pick during the regular season will be worth 1 point.*** In the past people have complained about bias with the games I pick and it not being "fair". If you don't think it's fair, feel free not to play. I freely admit to having an B10/B12/MVFC bias because of where I've lived my whole life. My FBS teams are Michigan and Louisville so expect them to show up a decent amount. I pick games I think will create the biggest divide between the number of picks for each team. If I see you complaining insesantly about the toss up games I reserve the right to warn and if it continues I reserve the right to count all your toss up picks as wrong, regardless if you picked right or not.

2. The official deadline for each weeks picks are:
    Preseason Picks: Saturday, Aug 30th 11 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 1 Picks: Saturday, August 30 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 2 Picks: Saturday, September 6 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 3 Picks: Saturday, September 13 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 4 Picks: Saturday, September 20 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 5 Picks: Saturday, September 27 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 6 Picks: Saturday, October 4 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 7 Picks: Saturday, October 11 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 8 Picks: Saturday, October 18 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 9 Picks: Saturday, October 25 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 10 Picks: Saturday November 1 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 11 Picks: Saturday, November 8 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 12 Picks: Saturday, November 15 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    Week 13 Picks: Saturday November 22 11:00 AM Central Winning Time
    First Round: Saturday, November 29 TIME TBDSecond Round: Saturday, December 6 TIME TBD
    Quarterfinals #1/2: Friday, December 12 TIME TBD
    Quarterfinals #3/4: Saturday, December 13 TIME TBD
    Semifinal #1: Friday, December 19 TIME TBD
    Semifinal #2: Saturday, December 20 TIME TBD
    Championship: Friday, Jan 9 TIME TBD

• If a game takes place on a Weeknight and you want your pick for that game to count your picks need to be in by kick off time of that game. You may still change your picks for the Saturday games until the 11:00 AM Central Winning Time cut-off. If you miss the cut off for the mid-week game you may still submit picks for the Saturday games, however, your pick for any mid-week games you missed will be counted as "wrong".
    • With EWU and SHSU both likely in the first AGS top 25 and that game being Saturday, August 23 at 2:30 PM Central Winning Time the cut off for your Week 1 picks to include that game is Saturday, August 23 2:30 PM Central Winning Time. You may still submit Week 1 picks after that time, however, your pick for that EWU/SHSU game will be counted as "wrong".
    • The quarterfinal and semifinal rounds take place over 2 days. For those rounds it will be treated like having a mid-week games. For your Friday picks to count they need to be submitted by kick-off of the FIRST game of the day. You may still submit for Saturday games if you missed the cutoff for the Friday games, however, your Friday picks will be counted as "wrong". Times for those games are TBD by the NCAA and thus the rule will be by kick-off of the first game, whatever Central Winning Time that may be.

3. The AGS poll will be the poll used for the duration of this game. No other poll will even be considered

4. Schedule of games to pick will be posted by 11PM Central Monday evening, possibly sooner depending on my schedule. I will post when the picks are open and will make sure to find time to have them up by 11PM Monday night. Between working full time, family, and going to school full time I may need an extra hour or two.

5. Pick's will run from preseason AQ and at-large bids, all the way through the title game.

6. Conference auto-qualifiers, at-large bid, and national champion picks will be due at the same time as the cut off for the week 1 picks. You may edit your picks for the AQ and AL picks until the cut off time, after that time NO OTHER EDITING OF AQ/AL PICKS IS ALLOWED.

6a. Each correct AQ/AL pick is worth one point. If you correctly pick the team as winning the AQ or at-large bid you will receive 2 extra points. I.E. you pick School A to win the AQ and school B to get an at-large. School A doesn't win the AQ but gets an at-large, and School B get's an at-large. You would get 1 point for correctly having School A in the playoffs, and you would get 3 points for correctly prediction School B would be an at large.

6b. For each team you correctly pick to be in the national title game you'll get 5 points. You'll also get 5 bonus points if you correctly pick the champion or runner-up. You can earn up to 15 extra points from this.

7. Post season game picks will have a weighted scoring system due to fewer games being played. Each round will have a different weight.

7a PLAYOFF FORMAT AND SCORING
    Each round will have 16 points available from games. First and Second round games will each be worth 2 (since there are 8 games) the Quarters worth 4, Semi's worth 8, and the NC game worth 16. With each game you will pick your confidence level on a scale of 1-5. A confidence of 0 is the least confident and a pick of 5 is the most confident. The confidence score determines how many bonus points you get...AND HOW MANY YOU CAN LOSE IF WRONG. Confidence scoring is as follows:
    0: No bonus points earned or lost and you are subject to ridicule from other players for taking the chicken way out
    1: 1 bonus points earned or lost
    2: 2 bonus points earned or lost
    3: 3 bonus points earned or lost
    4: 4 bonus points earned or lost
    5: 5 bonus points earned or lost

By doing this it's going to test the eier of each player and create some interesting weeks. That means the first two rounds have 56 points possible (7 per game), quarters have 36 points possible (9 per game), semi's have 26 (13 per game), and the national title game has 21 points possible (21 for the game).

8. Each player must have a minimum post count of 100 by the pick cut off line of the first week. There is plenty of time to get involved all across the board and get to 100 posts. I will take screen shots to freeze everyone's posts counts at the time of the cut off to see if they meet the required post count. This is to avoid people joining to only play the game (see past issues with elimination games seeing influx of new posters until their team is out then leaving again). If you want to join to play the game, great, just contribute elsewhere. As of the time of this being posted on the board there is something like 47 days to get to 100. For a brand new member who hasn't posted yet that is about 1.7 posts per day.

9. In the event of a tie at the end of it all, will revert back to higher standing at end of regular season. If still tied the person who missed the fewest weeks picks will be declared the winner. If still tied the world will implode...no but seriously, if that happens I'll figure it out.

10. On the form enter your username EXACTLY as it appears here, if it does not match any name on the member list your votes won't count. I gave a fair amount of leniency on that last season but will not this year. If you think I'm kidding try it. If you enter a name I don't recognize and a quick search doesn't return any results you picks will be thrown out no questions asked.

11. Do not submit your picks more than once. If you enter them twice there is a two strike policy. The first time you do it I call you out on the forum and take your first submission. The second time I call you out for it, neg rep you, and you don't get points for it. The third time you are disqualified from the game. That may seem harsh, but it's not hard to not be stupid. This wasn't a big issue last year but there was some issue and has been a BIG issue before that. It's just stupid. The AGS poll doesn't put up with it and neither will I. If you have a question on if you submitted your picks PLEASE PM ME. I work in front of a computer 7-8 hours a day with a smart phone, I'm on this forum nearly every hour that I'm awake - seriously....I am as sad as that may sound.

12. Don't bitch about you thinking I screwed up your picks when the reality you didn't pick the way you think you did. This was an a couple years ago, and to a lighter extent last season. I literally can't screw your picks up. The form works 99.999999999999% the same way as the AGS Poll....the only thing I can screw up is counting your points wrong, and a simple PM fixes that. CHECK YOUR PRESEASON PICKS BEFORE THE WEEK 1 DEADLINE POSTED IN RULE #2.

13. You can change/edit your picks at anytime during the week. Send me a PM and I will make the change. You may not see it reflected instantly but I will reply to your PM to let you know it was done. If I don't reply wait until points are totaled and see if I changed it. If it isn't another PM, KINDLY WORDED, asking if I missed it is asked for. As long as I can find the time stamped PM you're good. Please remember, however, that after the week 1 cutoff you cannot go back and edit preseason picks, not matter how many players you watch get carted off the field week after week from your preseason champion pick.

14. PM is your, and my, best friend. Please do not post "Did I submit my picks", "Can you change this pick", etc... in the forum and expect that to count as your official request. It's infinitely more likely I'll miss that than the PM and causes much more hassle than it's worth. So much so that effective this season the only way to change picks, ask if you submitted your picks, challenge something, etc... is through a PM. You can certainly post it on the thread as well, in-fact I encourage it, as it will provide a back up of everything. However, remember the only "official" method is through PM. I will make sure my PMs are cleared as much as possible. If my inbox is full use the "e-mail member" option to send me an e-mail but make sure to include your username.

15. Anything not covered by these rules is subject to on the fly rulings by clenz and at any time clenz is able to overrule these stated rules if someone really steps out of line. No body wants to be involved in something like that, and I certainly don't want to be the bad guy. I'm pretty lenient but the last 2 years I've put up with a lot more crap than I should have. I do this as a donation of my time to this forum and to you guys because of my love for FCS football but more so because my love for this site (and ursus). If you want to make me dread donating my time because you decide to be a little brat about it I will internet slap you for it in some way.

16. By submitting your picks are are agreeing to above set of rules and give up all rights.

The winner of the game gets a couple nice things - #1. a sweet ass trophy to put on their desk at work, or home, to show off how great they are at inter-webz pick em games. #2. a kick-ass userbar to put under your screen name to remind everyone else that played the game that they are teh losars and you are teh winnar. #3. AGSadmin will hit you up with an rep boost (which I never got last season..oh well). Past winners are in my signature, with links to the score cards from those seasons and your defending champion is...ME and I put an epic on fools last season. Who has what it takes to take my place?

With all of that said Links for the forms can be found in my signature, Week 1 picks will be added when the AGS poll is completed...

Last edited by clenz; July 17th, 2014 at 10:09 AM.