Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hypothetical MVFC Playoff Scenario

Right now, the only teams in the MVFC in the playoff hunt outside of NDSU and YSU are SDSU, SIU, and ILL ST. The Redbirds have to make a trip up to Fargo, and unless something miraculous happens, they will likely lose and take themselves out of playoff contention with 5 losses. Here's the question: If SDSU and SIU both win out (tall order for SDSU, but do-able), who gets in the field? SIU would have the head to head, but SDSU would have one more DI win than SIU. SIU would have beaten Indiana St, Missouri State, and Illinois St to be 8-4 (7-4 DI and 6-2 in Conf.) SDSU would have beaten Indiana St, USD, and Youngstown to be 8-4 (8-4 DI and 5-3 in conf.) Who gets the nod. Both? Neither?

Re: Hypothetical MVFC Playoff Scenario

Easy - SDSU based on YSU win and extra D1 win. SIU early W's are not as impressive now
    JamesMadison 4-3 @ Charlotte (3-4)

Pick'Em - Through Week 8
    Overall 51 - 13
    CAA 15 - 6

FCS Master

I'd think both of them are in with that scenario but if I had to choose one I'd give the nod to SIU. Better conference record and head to head win (in Brookings).
    Professor Chaos is a proud supporter of the back to back to back Division 1 Football National Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I'd think both of them are in with that scenario but if I had to choose one I'd give the nod to SIU. Better conference record and head to head win (in Brookings).
    That win over SELA looking better and better for the Jacks. Tons of heavy lifting to do before we can even discuss this though. The loss to MSU is what is really screwing our chances.

What is the chance that both get left out? Perhaps a CAA or a fifth Big Sky (Sac St?) steals the third MVFC bid. It's looking like the Big Sky will get Montana, Montana St., EWA, and NAU, at the very least.

Both. Look how mediocre the bottom at-larges would be in the current rankings. We're seriously talking a 3 loss OVC team making the field.

How about NDSU and YSU losses out and MSU wins out?

:eek::eek::eek:

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tibbs View Post
    What is the chance that both get left out? Perhaps a CAA or a fifth Big Sky (Sac St?) steals the third MVFC bid. It's looking like the Big Sky will get Montana, Montana St., EWA, and NAU, at the very least.
    In the Big Sky the only other two teams that can even get to the magic 7 D-I win level is Southern Utah and Portland State, and if they were to somehow make it SUU would have to beat Montana State and Northern Arizona, or Portland State would have to beat Eastern Washington. I ain't holding my breath.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)!

N.O.W.

Right now, the only teams in the MVFC in the playoff hunt outside of NDSU and YSU are SDSU, SIU, and ILL ST. The Redbirds have to make a trip up to Fargo, and unless something miraculous happens, they will likely lose and take themselves out of playoff contention with 5 losses. Here's the question: If SDSU and SIU both win out (tall order for SDSU, but do-able), who gets in the field? SIU would have the head to head, but SDSU would have one more DI win than SIU. SIU would have beaten Indiana St, Missouri State, and Illinois St to be 8-4 (7-4 DI and 6-2 in Conf.) SDSU would have beaten Indiana St, USD, and Youngstown to be 8-4 (8-4 DI and 5-3 in conf.) Who gets the nod. Both? Neither?
    I think a lot will depend on how other conferences finish out. An SIU team with only 7 DI wins may end up being left home if there are enough 8 D1 win power conference teams left at the top.

Look at it this way: 24 spots, with 11 autobids leaves 13 open spots.

Fordham seems to be a lock at this point, so that's one at large gone for 12 left. Figure that the Big Sky, MVC, Southland, and CAA are going to get at minimum two at large spots in addition to their autobids, and you're left with 4 spots left. The SoCon and OVC are going to get at least one extra at large bid each, so that leaves two spots open.

Given that, the field is going to be pretty crowded with quality teams, and 7 D1 wins in a 12 game schedule might not be enough.

My Team
    Good Ol' Grizzlies

I'd be very, very surprised if the Big Sky got 5 teams.