Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How Good is NDSU............Really?

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Re: How Good is NDSU............Really?

Quote Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
    I agree with you 100% but the McNair game plan was to let him throw and jump the routes. He was a special player.

I know that we are 5-1 but the only team we played was SIU outside of MSU. Up to this point we have been good enough in the other phases of the game to overcome the adversity, and we have shown flashes of hope on defense.
    That's why I'm not holding my breath.. I'm still waiting on the mid-season melt down. that it don't happened. I waited 21 years for the Pirates, I'm not wanting to wait that long for the Guins LOL!!

My Team
    Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by thirdgendin View Post
    1996 may have been a down year for GSU but not for the SoCon as a whole. In fact, the league had 3 teams in the quarterfinals, and ETSU and Furman ended up losing at the eventual finalists. ETSU won its only playoff game ever (Villanova) and Furman won at Northern Arizona.

Sadly, that was also the last year we won in Boone.

Would that Marshall team have been eligible for the playoffs if the current rules were in place? They took on a ton of transfers.
    Poor job on my part of connecting the dots, what I was trying to suggest was relative to 1999 ... the SoCon in 1996 was not as strong.

Look at what the league members accomplished in 1999 vs. 1996, and tell me in your opinion which year the league was stronger.

Either way, Marshall had a tough team to beat in 1996.

One other thing about Holy Cross 1987. That team may have had the best staff in FCS history:

Mark Duffner, head coach, now Jacksonville Jags LB Coach.

Kevin Coyle, def coor, now Miami Dolphins DC

Tom Rossley, off coor, now Texas A&M QB Coach...Johnny Football's coach, former SMU HC

Mike Sherman, OL coach, now Dolphins OC...former Packer HC

There were some very good other ones....these are the guys who jumped out at me right now. Brilliant staff offensively and defensively....in many ways far ahead of their time i.e. running spread etc in the mid/late 80s etc.

First Class FCS Ruler Grizzlies82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 344Johnson View Post
    This...can't complete a pass when your laying on your back.
    Obviously we will never know. However pressure or not, I suspect you'd grow tired of watching Randy Moss scoot down the sideline for touchdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlies82 View Post
    Obviously we will never know. However pressure or not, I suspect you'd grow tired of watching Randy Moss scoot down the sideline for touchdowns.
    I dont think you would see him with more than one.

I have seen both teams play live and there is no doubt in my mind who would win that game. NDSU would smother them even with Moss
    AG1 now available in "Internet Black"

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and arm bears, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by crusader11 View Post
    Raise your hand if you saw one snap of the 1987 Holy Cross season...

..wait a minute ... maybe that was the '86 HC team ...
    Upon the fields of friendly strife ...

Quote Originally Posted by penguinpower View Post
    The 1999 team did not belong in the NC game. FAMU coasted in the 4th quarter and we came back from a 19 point deficit to win the game. I remember that all the fans left the stadium becuase they thought the game was over. FAMU had thier back up QB in the game and they were on the 19 yeard line going into score. They got cute and threw the ball and Tim Johnson picked it off in the end zone and ran it back to the 30. That was the turing point in the game. The fans were not premitted to reenter the stadium and had to listen to the cannons go off everytime we scored. FAMU was in disbelief that we won that game. They were the better team that year and we shouldn't have played in the NC because we had lost so many starters an we were not good enough on the DL or corners. Ga Southern was also that good but FAMU would have given them a better game. We were totally depleted of depth entering that game.

I remember Adrian Peterson was in a cast on the sidelines and he took it off in the 1st quarter and limped gingerly out to the huddle. I and all the other YSU fans were asking what are they doing that guy is hurt? Then he ran for something like 500 yards on our defense and we couldn't stop him. That game marked the end of the dynasty.
    Almost every game if not every game that YSU won that year they pulled out in the end--they didn't have as much talent as a lot of teams in 1-AA that year but they had a tremendous amount of heart.In 1994 we had the most talented team in 1-AA but the 1999 team probably wasn't amongst the top 25 but they played with a never say die attitude.

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Almost every game if not every game that YSU won that year they pulled out in the end--they didn't have as much talent as a lot of teams in 1-AA that year but they had a tremendous amount of heart.In 1994 we had the most talented team in 1-AA but the 1999 team probably wasn't amongst the top 25 but they played with a never say die attitude.
    Come on Daved.. What you saw in 1999 was the start of a new era in 1FCS. Since 1982 there was a dominance by a hand full of teams.. Montana, GSU, EKU, Marshall, YSU, etc.. but I believe that 1FCS as a whole through all the conferences put more stock into football and the dominating was over. That's why you're seeing many different teams in the playoffs that's never been there before. There's still dominating teams as far as NC's lately, ASU, and now NDSU but parity is running ramped in 1FCS It baffles me how YSU fan's think a win by YSU wasn't earned or they were lucky or not deserving A WIN is a WIN. That's why the game is played out in 60 minutes.

AGS Governor-General of South Canada NoDak 4 Ever's Avatar
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Quote Originally Posted by ysubigred View Post
    Come on Daved.. What you saw in 1999 was the start of a new era in 1FCS. Since 1982 there was a dominance by a hand full of teams.. Montana, GSU, EKU, Marshall, YSU, etc.. but I believe that 1FCS as a whole through all the conferences put more stock into football and the dominating was over. That's why you're seeing many different teams in the playoffs that's never been there before. There's still dominating teams as far as NC's lately, ASU, and now NDSU but parity is running ramped in 1FCS It baffles me how YSU fan's think a win by YSU wasn't earned or they were lucky or not deserving A WIN is a WIN. That's why the game is played out in 60 minutes.
    When Fordham wins the National Championship, I will say there is parity.

Colgate in '03 was about the closest.
    The reason Ursus says "probably"

AGS President of the Confederate States of America
    My Team
    The Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post

this guy CHEATED and that's why y'all had success.

http://i.imgur.com/dx6VTu8.gif The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy.
    Jubal Early Maj Genl
    Confederate States of America
    Tiocfaidh ár lá