Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: How Good is NDSU............Really?

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Re: How Good is NDSU............Really?

Quote Originally Posted by citdog View Post
    this guy CHEATED and that's why y'all had success.

This guy cheated and ya'll wasn't successful

My real name is Bisontownmocks
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Uh oh

Quote Originally Posted by ysubigred View Post
    Come on Daved.. What you saw in 1999 was the start of a new era in 1FCS. Since 1982 there was a dominance by a hand full of teams.. Montana, GSU, EKU, Marshall, YSU, etc.. but I believe that 1FCS as a whole through all the conferences put more stock into football and the dominating was over. That's why you're seeing many different teams in the playoffs that's never been there before. There's still dominating teams as far as NC's lately, ASU, and now NDSU but parity is running ramped in 1FCS It baffles me how YSU fan's think a win by YSU wasn't earned or they were lucky or not deserving A WIN is a WIN. That's why the game is played out in 60 minutes.
    All our wins in '99 were earned--sure we were lucky in some but we usually made our own luck---GSU was a very heavy favorite in '99 and the oddsmakers were right.

O
    Quote Originally Posted by ysubigred View Post
    Come on Daved.. What you saw in 1999 was the start of a new era in 1FCS. Since 1982 there was a dominance by a hand full of teams.. Montana, GSU, EKU, Marshall, YSU, etc.. but I believe that 1FCS as a whole through all the conferences put more stock into football and the dominating was over. That's why you're seeing many different teams in the playoffs that's never been there before. There's still dominating teams as far as NC's lately, ASU, and now NDSU but parity is running ramped in 1FCS It baffles me how YSU fan's think a win by YSU wasn't earned or they were lucky or not deserving A WIN is a WIN. That's why the game is played out in 60 minutes.
    I don't entirely agree...

I agree that there is more parity but if Paul Johnson hadn't left GSU after the 2001 season I'd bet anything that GSU would've won the NC in 2002 and 2004 at a very minimum and if GSU had not hired Van Gonad Armanti Edwards wouldn't have gone to App.

IMO coaching turnover has had a much effect as the parity and in some ways it has caused it.

Maybe this will give more color for those of you who don't think that Marshall team played good defense...

UNI also had Brad Meester at Center (2nd RD Pick and still playing) and Dedric Ward as a WR (3rd Rd Pick, 8 year career).

Now Bohl may be a better coach than Pruett.....but NDSU does not have the same talent....

Semifinals
    Montana 70, Troy State 7
    Marshall 31, Northern Iowa

Final
    Marshall 49, Montana 29
    DTI vs. EH

AGS FCS Champion

My Team
    YSU Penguins

Maybe this will give more color for those of you who don't think that Marshall team played good defense...

That and home field/homerism in Huntington didn't hurt either

Top FCS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Chi Panther View Post

UNI also had Brad Meester at Center (2nd RD Pick and still playing) and Dedric Ward as a WR (3rd Rd Pick, 8 year career).

Now Bohl may be a better coach than Pruett.....but NDSU does not have the same talent....

Semifinals
    Montana 70, Troy State 7
    Marshall 31, Northern Iowa

Final
    Marshall 49, Montana 29
    I want to start this off by saying I have no idea how good that Marshall team was. I didn't watch a single game of theirs, so I'm not going to try to guess if this NDSU team could have beaten them.

However, I don't think you can necessarily judge how good a team is by how many future NFL players they have/had. I would guess there are probably a number of teams in the FCS that will prbably have more NFL players than NDSU, as well as Kansas State,but I don't think that means those are better teams than NDSU. It does give you an idea though that the Marshall weren't just going up against a bunch of no-names.

My Team
    North Dakota

Does anyone remember when the NFL (I think ESPN filmed it, not quite sure) would pin 2 historical teams against each other (ex. 72 Dolphins vs 85 Bears), I think college football should do that. Even the FCS could do that....2013 NDSU vs 1996 Marshall. That would be cool to see.
    UND (3-5) at E.Washington (7-2)
    1-3 BSC Record

Darell wants the precioussssssssss!!!!!!!!!

The Sultan of Sarcasm Grizalltheway's Avatar
    My Team
    Good Ol' Grizzlies

Quote Originally Posted by bisonboone11 View Post
    I want to start this off by saying I have no idea how good that Marshall team was. I didn't watch a single game of theirs, so I'm not going to try to guess if this NDSU team could have beaten them.

However, I don't think you can necessarily judge how good a team is by how many future NFL players they have/had. I would guess there are probably a number of teams in the FCS that will prbably have more NFL players than NDSU, as well as Kansas State,but I don't think that means those are better teams than NDSU. It does give you an idea though that the Marshall weren't just going up against a bunch of no-names.
    The 1995 Montana team was very good, but most Griz fans agreee that the '96 version was even better. It just so happened that they faced a Marshall team that year that was on another level entirely.

First Class FCS Ruler
    My Team
    North Dakota State

Historically speaking, I think 2013 NDSU is the 3rd best team in the history of football. My rankings:

3. 2013 NDSU
    2. 1985 Bears
    1. UTC (year not needed, always #1)