Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missouri State releases official rendering for stadium renovation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Missouri State releases official rendering for stadium renovation

While they're saying this is contingent on the student body passing a first-ever (for MSU) athletics/recreation fee, it's sounding more and more likely that it will happen no matter what.

The biggest highlights are a brand new, 4,100 seat student side at Plaster Sports Complex along with the removal of the track. It will also include new home/away locker facilities.

It will also include a new Lacrosse/Field Hockey stadium, a new Track/Soccer stadium, as well as a new sand volleyball facility that will be able to host NCAA Sand Volleyball if they add it as a sport.

Pretty cool stuff in the works... whoever we hire to replace the worst coach in the world after this season will get a nice new stadium to call home. Our new president is VERY pro-athletics and I will be more than shocked if you don't see MSU make enormous improvements within the next 5 years.

Football:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BUe8gMFCcAEf4e-.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	18309

Soccer/Track:

Name:	2013-09-18 17.53.49.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	18305

Sand Volleyball:

Name:	2013-09-18 17.53.58(1).jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	18306

LAX/Field Hockey

Name:	2013-09-18 17.54.09.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	18307
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BUe9XM2CUAAw_xJ.jpg  
    BEAR UP

THE Missouri State

Re: Missouri State releases official rendering for stadium renovation

That looks very ambitious. It would be a huge upgrade. I wonder what it would cost to realize all of those facility upgrades?

AGS FCS Champion

Comments/questions:

Football - so they are going to get rid of the track, move the field closer to the existing home side (rather than sink the field and build down and outward from the bottom of existing facilities) and build a new visiting/student side, correct? The new visiting side looks much better than what I've seen previously, where it looked like they were trying to have some sort of club with windows right at the bottom; it looked very odd.

Soccer/track - I take it the throwers will have their own deal somewhere else? I see nothing for shot put, discus/hammer or javelin. And obviously you wouldn't want to be hurling implements onto a fieldturf surface anyway. Will it be fieldturf or natural grass?

Lax/field hockey - Will the surface be fieldturf or old style astroturf? I've read (in another thread here) that field hockey is the one sport left that actually prefers old style astro turf, although the thumbnail you attached clearly shows the 'flyout' of the fieldturf infill.

(question: if the Lax/field hockey field is going to be fieldturf, why wouldn't you just include lines for soccer on that field and have the soccer team player there? Then the track in-field could be natural grass and you could use it for throwing.)

Sand volleyball: is there anything that particularly makes this something more than sand volleyball courts you might find at any park across the country?? I don't even see seating, unless that's supposed to be the grass berm? How big is a sand volleyball team anyway? Do they play four's, six's?

Quote Originally Posted by MplsBison View Post
    Football - so they are going to get rid of the track, move the field closer to the existing home side (rather than sink the field and build down and outward from the bottom of existing facilities) and build a new visiting/student side, correct? The new visiting side looks much better than what I've seen previously, where it looked like they were trying to have some sort of club with windows right at the bottom; it looked very odd.
    Correct. For this phase, they are removing the track. The field itself will only move a few feet to the west because of sight-lines for the upper bowl. It sounds like what will eventually happen (Phase 2), is that they will close our old lower bowl of the West (big) side and renovate it to be basically outdoor seating for the suites.

Soccer/track - I take it the throwers will have their own deal somewhere else? I see nothing for shot put, discus/hammer or javelin. And obviously you wouldn't want to be hurling implements onto a fieldturf surface anyway. Will it be fieldturf or natural grass?
    Track: Yes, our throwers already have a field facility that will now be directly across the street from the future site. The field is grass.

Lax/field hockey - Will the surface be fieldturf or old style astroturf? I've read (in another thread here) that field hockey is the one sport left that actually prefers old style astro turf, although the thumbnail you attached clearly shows the 'flyout' of the fieldturf infill.

(question: if the Lax/field hockey field is going to be fieldturf, why wouldn't you just include lines for soccer on that field and have the soccer team player there? Then the track in-field could be natural grass and you could use it for throwing.)
    Soccer surface will be field turf, Field Hockey/LAX will be astroturf (basically a "DO THIS OR ELSE" from the MAC on this), I agree that the renderings make it look like it's field turf, but I know for sure that it will be astro.

Sand volleyball: is there anything that particularly makes this something more than sand volleyball courts you might find at any park across the country?? I don't even see seating, unless that's supposed to be the grass berm? How big is a sand volleyball team anyway? Do they play four's, six's?
    Re: sand volleyball as a sport, I have no clue... but yes, that is a berm on the one end for seating. What's cool about this is that it's situated directly in a corner of Hammons Student Center (Our old bball/current volleyball home).

As for the total costs, I think right now they are saying the total cost for all the venues combined is right at $20 million.
    BEAR UP

THE Missouri State

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MSUBear42 View Post
    Correct. For this phase, they are removing the track. The field itself will only move a few feet to the west because of sight-lines for the upper bowl. It sounds like what will eventually happen (Phase 2), is that they will close our old lower bowl of the West (big) side and renovate it to be basically outdoor seating for the suites.

Track: Yes, our throwers already have a field facility that will now be directly across the street from the future site. The field is grass.

Soccer surface will be field turf, Field Hockey/LAX will be astroturf (basically a "DO THIS OR ELSE" from the MAC on this), I agree that the renderings make it look like it's field turf, but I know for sure that it will be astro.

Re: sand volleyball as a sport, I have no clue... but yes, that is a berm on the one end for seating. What's cool about this is that it's situated directly in a corner of Hammons Student Center (Our old bball/current volleyball home).

As for the total costs, I think right now they are saying the total cost for all the venues combined is right at $20 million.
    Ok, understand about the throwers and the surfaces.

I just can't understand why you wouldn't put Lax with the Soccer field, then?? I mean, my goodness I would hate to be a Lax player on the astroturf. Seems ridiculous. Then if field hockey really is needed, fine they get their own astroturf surface to appease the conference.

It's not like any of these women's lax or field hockey players are coming from Missouri anyway. They're all east coast or Canadian imports.

Quote Originally Posted by MplsBison View Post
    Ok, understand about the throwers and the surfaces.

I just can't understand why you wouldn't put Lax with the Soccer field, then?? I mean, my goodness I would hate to be a Lax player on the astroturf. Seems ridiculous. Then if field hockey really is needed, fine they get their own astroturf surface to appease the conference.

It's not like any of these women's lax or field hockey players are coming from Missouri anyway. They're all east coast or Canadian imports.
    Well, they aren't going to add LAX any time soon, so maybe they still will. We have a good club program, but that is it.
    BEAR UP

THE Missouri State

AGS FCS Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MSUBear42 View Post
    Well, they aren't going to add LAX any time soon, so maybe they still will. We have a good club program, but that is it.
    Oh.

I guess I assumed (incorrectly) that you had a women's Lax team already and hence the facility. Guess not and for that matter same with women's sand volleyball. I see they are adding women's tennis next year. Must be gearing up title IX numbers for the move to FBS in football, right?

Kinda weird that you would add Field Hockey before Lax. I think. Just seems like much more of a east coast, prep school, niche sport whereas Lax at least has spread somewhat western.

First Class FCS Ruler BluBengal07's Avatar

congrats.
    what is the price tag for all of these upgrades/developments?
    are things going to occur at the same time or in phases?
    NCAA sand volleyball....news to me

with trying to find sources on this, i found this older AGS thread. MODS might want to combine.
    http://www.anygivensaturday.com/show...rade-is-coming
    I am not entertained by your claim of knowledge

Master FCS Advocate BISON Thunder's Avatar

Congrat's to Missouri State for investing in the future. Excited for what you and South Dakota State are doing relative to stadiums!
    "When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time." Max McGee

I'm a Lumberjack and I'm OK

Yes, women's sand volleyball is an official NCAA sport - 34 schools compete at the DI level, mostly in CA/FL