Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    AGS Governor-General of South Canada

My Team
    North Dakota State

Re: Big Sky should look toward NDSU

Quote Originally Posted by UNDBIZ View Post
    Lol. Why does Fargo keep voting for him then? Also, 2 state senators are employees of ndsu. If the school is so terrible that they and other Fargo area legislators won't help them then that's pretty bad....
    He's a Republican and his district is mostly rich assholes.
    The reason Ursus says "probably"

Quote Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
    Al Carlson did what he did to get votes from the nickname supporters, they enabled him completely.

NDSU moving up to DI had nothing to do with our financial issues, those had everything to do with a president that tried to expand the school too quickly.
    You don't believe the D1 move and the school expansion were related?

Quote Originally Posted by NoDak 4 Ever View Post
    He's a Republican and his district is mostly rich assholes.
    Haha, well I can't argue against that one, although I was under the impression he was a north Fargo rep. Regardless, I'm fully aware that anyone with an R behind their name is the odds-on favorite to be elected in ND.

You don't believe the D1 move and the school expansion were related?
    The athletic move was largely funded by alumni and other donors.

Making a university suddenly become large enough to accommodate 15,000 students is something completely different. It requires a lot of money to pay staff and expand or add academic facilities....some of NDSU's academic facilities were already in a state of disrepair. NDSU is still trying to catch up with the expansion that happened, there is a reason why NDSU has grown at a substantially slower rate ever since Chapman left.

Quote Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
    The athletic move was largely funded by alumni and other donors.

Making a university suddenly become large enough to accommodate 15,000 students is something completely different. It requires a lot of money to pay staff and expand or add academic facilities....some of NDSU's academic facilities were already in a state of disrepair. NDSU is still trying to catch up with the expansion that happened, there is a reason why NDSU has grown at a substantially slower rate ever since Chapman left.
    ndsu also needed more students (and the fees they pay) in order to support the annual budget of a D1 athletic department.

AGS Governor-General of South Canada

My Team
    North Dakota State

ndsu also needed more students (and the fees they pay) in order to support the annual budget of a D1 athletic department.
    Maybe some sports but they already had way more money for football scholarships than they were allowed to use. That Team Makers is a VERY well run organization.
    The reason Ursus says "probably"

There are a couple unfortunate facts that NDSU is going to have to deal with here, sooner rather than later:

1) Oakland is leaving for the Horizon.

The question is really, who else is going with them? If only Oakland leaves the Summit, it'll be ok for now. If one or especially if both IU-PU schools leave the Summit...it's sunk. They'd have to go after WAC schools like Chicago St and UMKC. Good luck...

2) NDSU is *NEVER* going to get into the MVC.

It's never, ever going to happen -- unless conference realignment of such epic proportions occurs and at that point you'd have to question whether the MVC would still be worth going into (likely not). NDSU is too public, too far away and even if they had the new BSA finished the bball program is not at that level. It's a dead corpse of a dream that needs to be disposed of in our minds.

That said, the Horizon is not impossible but the geography of that conference closes it off in my mind. They're too tight around the great lakes.

So...if the Summit does collapse, I think NDSU has to entertain an offer from the Big Sky for full membership. This would be my proposal back to the Big Sky if I was NDSU's president: bring in NDSU, SDSU, USD and U of Denver as full-members. That brings the membership to 16. Cut into two divisions of 8 each:

East:
    NDSU - UND
    SDSU - USD
    Montana - MSU
    No Colo - Denver

West:
    Idaho - ISU
    So Utah - Weber St
    East Wash - PSU
    Sac St - No Ariz

Omaha will have to partner up with UMKC in the WAC and Western Illinois will have to partner up with EIU in the OVC. Sucks for those two schools, but that's the only possibilities I see for them.

Another thing that would be fun to consider, but could probably never happen would be to split off an "FBS" football conference from the Big Sky that would include Idaho.

FBS league:
    Idaho, Montana, MSU, NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, UC Davis, Sac St

FCS league:
    E Wash, Port St, Cal Poly, No Ariz, So Utah, Weber St, Idaho St, No Colo

The BSC would suck for travel. Might be OK for the olympic sports, but for football the MVFC is way better. I'd much prefer an invite to the MVC for our other sports.

Anyone ever notice how all of these types of threads (demise of the Summit, trying to get UND and NDSU in same conference) seem to be started by fans of a certain university to the north?

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator View Post
    The BSC would suck for travel. Might be OK for the olympic sports, but for football the MVFC is way better. I'd much prefer an invite to the MVC for our other sports.

Anyone ever notice how all of these types of threads (demise of the Summit, trying to get UND and NDSU in same conference) seem to be started by fans of a certain university to the north?
    Every NDSU fan would prefer an invite to the MVC (myself included). Just like we'd love to get an invite from the B1G.

Both are roughly the same possibility. Face facts my man...

AGS FCS Champion Lehigh Football Nation's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MplsBison View Post
    FBS league:
    Idaho, Montana, MSU, NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, UC Davis, Sac St

FCS league:
    E Wash, Port St, Cal Poly, No Ariz, So Utah, Weber St, Idaho St, No Colo
    I find it pretty humorous that Sac State is in the FBS side of the house...

...while the perennial playoff team and recent national champion is sitting in the same league as Northern Colorado.

That's not the only weakness with this setup.
    Follow me on Twitter (User Name LFN)!

N.O.W.