Based on Otto Fad's article about the impending death of I-AA, I thought it would be interesting to think about which schools would and could move to I-A as opposed to something more like Div II, if the NCAA rules force this paradigm shift in Division I football. Keep in mind, that the "would" part of this questions goes more towards institutional philosophyand support for football while the "could" part goes towards the ability to move in terms of $$, attendance and facilities.

Starting with the Patriot League, only Lehigh has the wherewithal to pull this off and that is no gimme. LU has the institutional support, the facilities and is close enough in attendance to make a go of it. The big question is, would they from a philosophical point of view, particularly if Lafayette doesn't go? I still say yes, but it would be a very challenging road.

Colgate would want to go, but can't because I believe that facilities and the lack of attendance in rural upstate NY would be its Achilles heal in the process.

Lafayette both could not and would not go. Lacks facilities, attendance and institutional support (hell, they barely escaped being exiled to DIII)

Bucknell - Ditto Colgate

Fordham is the only other PL school with the inkling of a shot based on its large alumni base and NYC location. Facilities and institutional support are its biggest hurdles.

Holy Cross - Tough call, but ultimately no go. Its got the right stadium capacity and a storied history, but current institutional support and $$ probably hold it back.

Georgetown - No on both the would and could. Inadequate facilities, lacks institutional and fan support and oh, by the way, it really is a BB school.

Would love to read comments on what you think other conference members would do, but real quick I think the CAA goes I-A, but possibly sans URI (although they might try for a little while), SoCon, w/o Wofford, CCU, Elon; Big Sky - all go; Ivy (who the hell knows). The rest of the conferences, I'll wait to here from those better in the know.