Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: End of IAA?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

End of IAA?

I-AA supporters, it’s over.
    The move to stabilize-and-enhance I-AA football is dead. Sorry, Cedric, but to paraphrase John Blutarksy, there go seven years of effort, down the drain.

Legitimate, robust standards for I-A institutions are simply not going to happen. The NCAA Division I Board of Directors has made clear their intent through several recent and in-progress actions.

In lieu of I-AA enhancements, the Board has enacted legislation better characterized as I-A appeasements. A few years hence, they will become known as I-A inducements, at least for a significant percentage of those who currently occupy the upper echelon of I-AA football.
    Otto Fad article

So, who were the three “I-AA” presidents who voted against the twelfth game? There ain’t a one from a solid playoff conference. Here they are by affiliation:

o Alcorn State president, representing the SWAC – a non-playoff league that is promoting itself primarily on the basis of its cultural heritage, with its current NCAA classification a mere afterthought. Strangely enough, the SWAC’s MC representative, Commissioner Robert Vowells, voted FOR the 12 game a few days earlier.

o Dayton’s president, representing the Atlantic-10. Dayton is a non-scholarship program that played Division III football until the NCAA forced them into I-AA in the 1990’s.

o American University’s president, representing the Patriot. Yep, a I-AAA president helping to determine the fate of I-AA legislation, and casting a vote that would make the big brothers in the Ancient Eight proud.

The Presidents of Alcorn St ... Dayton and American U were allowed to cast the only votes that decided the fate of a 12 game scheduled for all 1AA programs...??? :bang: :bang: :bang:

For the record, American was just voting what the PL wanted. From what I've heard we did not want a 12th game.

On the Breast of Old South Mountain
    My Team
    Lehigh
    Quote Originally Posted by colgate13
    For the record, American was just voting what the PL wanted. From what I've heard we did not want a 12th game.
    That is true. The PL, Ivy and NEC voted against the 12th game. Simple philosophy was that the 12th game does nothing more for the programs and that a line should be drawn somewhere.
    LEHIGH WILL SHINE TONIGHT, LEHIGH WILL SHINE!
    Patriot League Champions: 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017
    NCAA Playoff Appearances: D-II 1973, 1975, 1977 NCAA Champions
    D-IAA 1979 (Finalist), 1980, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2016, 2017

Attendance = Success?

Just because you average 23,000 a game you automatically think that attendance is the one and only measure of a program or teams success. You are one of two NCAA universities in your state where Lehigh is one of about twenty five. Not everyone can average 23,000 a game but that doesn't make them a pathetic program attendance wise. Remember that I-AA is very diversified with it's member institutions and I for one think that is a good thing and makes for interesting match ups. Go Eagles!!!
    2010 NCAA FCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

How did those institutions, namely AMERICAN get permission to vote on football issues? Shouldn't you have to have the sport to vote on issues related to it? Are we going to have Central Arkansas, a Div II program, having it's athletic director on the Div NCAA basketball selection commitee?
    -The Terror-

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTerror
    How did those institutions, namely AMERICAN get permission to vote on football issues? Shouldn't you have to have the sport to vote on issues related to it? Are we going to have Central Arkansas, a Div II program, having it's athletic director on the Div NCAA basketball selection commitee?
    Again, I'd look more at the conference itself, not the individual school doing the voting. American is hardly going out on a limb and deciding this issue for itself.

First Class FCS Advocate savannahjohn's Avatar
    I'm afraid this will put a lot of pressure on certain Universities to take that step up, whether they can afford it or not. I know it will give firepower to those boosters who are clamoring for I-A.

But unless an entire conference were to move, it would make for some much higher athletic budgets amongst the Universities, particularly in the area of travel. Football is only one aspect. How much will expenditures soar for the basketball, softball & baseball teams? How about for some of the fringe sports?

I'm pleased that GSU has stood firm because I happen to love I-AA. Furthermore, I trust that the powers that be at GSU are very informed regarding the pros & cons & they've felt it to be in the schools best interest to remain in I-AA. I'd hate to see us pressured into a move that might not be prudent when considering the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by colgate13
    Again, I'd look more at the conference itself, not the individual school doing the voting. American is hardly going out on a limb and deciding this issue for itself.
    My question is... why were the Patriot... the SWAC and the Metro Atlantic doing all the voting??? They are hardly representative of ALL 1AA football. :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan
    My question is... why were the Patriot... the SWAC and the Metro Atlantic doing all the voting??? They are hardly representative of ALL 1AA football. :confused:
    A much more valid question... but if you replaced them with Big Sky, Gateway and A-10, would that be more representative?

LFN brings up a valid playoff point too.