NCAA legislation is going to be interesting in the coming months, years. Here's a read about the push to have more teams in the I-AA playoffs which focuses mostly on the A-10 part of the I-AA world.

James Madison coach Mickey Matthews notes that he's leading the charge to bring about the expansion of the playoffs. I think the GWFC and Big South becoming playoff-eligible would really help push the issue.

Of course, you still have the issue of the SWAC who claim I-AA championship status but doesn't even participate. "When Grambling head coach Melvin Spears took the podium at SWAC Media Day in Birmingham, Ala. last month, he made it very clear to the rest of the league that he thought his Tigers were the true I-AA National Champions in 2005, after rolling through their schedule 11-1 and capturing the SWAC title." xidiotx
(Credit: http://www.pbcommercial.com/articles...ts/sports4.txt)
-----------
16 not so sweet in Division I-AA
State coaches embrace the concept of having more teams in playoffs

BY JOHN O'CONNOR
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Aug 18, 2006

Before Division I-AA's opening kickoff of 2006, think postseason. Sixteen teams make the playoffs. Coaches would like to see that number increased.

"The definition of success in I-AA is 'Did you make the playoffs or not?'" University of Richmond coach Dave Clawson said. "In I-A football, the definition of success is 'Did you get to a bowl?'"

Clawson then pointed out the inequity of the gauges. This season, 64 of 119 I-A teams will advance to 32 bowl games. In I-AA, there are 115 programs and just 16 playoff slots.

"I'm leading the charge to get 24," James Madison coach Mickey Matthews said.

Not all I-AA programs aspire to qualify for the tournament. The Ivy League chooses not to participate because of academic considerations. Also, several I-AA programs offer no athletic scholarships or far fewer football grants than the maximum allowed by the NCAA (63). They are not interested in competing for the I-AA national championship.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet...=1045855934844