Patriot - Playoff prospects look encouraging

By Matt Dougherty, I-AA Football Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - It’s no secret that I was not the biggest advocate for the last two Patriot League teams that earned at-large berths.

Lehigh’s profile seemed to fall behind Cal Poly in 2004, and Youngstown State had a better case for the final playoff spot than Lafayette did a year ago. But the Patriot League squads received the bid, and proved they belonged by playing the eventual national champion tough.

I’m not sure how I’ll feel about potential at-large teams from the Patriot League come November 19th of this year, but I can just about guarantee that at least one, and maybe two, teams will be in prime position to earn one of the coveted eight at-large bids. By playing schedules that include all I-AA opponents, the league’s teams are bucking the national trend and putting themselves in position to rack up the Division I wins that the playoff selection committee covets. When potential contenders from power conferences like the Gateway, Southland, Southern and Big Sky are earning paychecks from I- A opponents or beating up on lower-tier teams, the Patriot League teams will be facing winnable games to have a chance to add to their Division I victory total.

That’s good news for the conference’s squads, namely Colgate, Lafayette and Lehigh. All three have their challenges on the schedule, with Colgate playing Massachusetts, Lafayette taking on Penn and Harvard and Lehigh facing the Crimson and Villanova. But every non-conference game provides a realistic shot at a win, and the trio has an excellent chance to post a perfect record against the rest of the Patriot League.

After four consecutive seasons of sending just one team to the postseason, the Patriot League has joined the company of the top I-AA conferences by notching multiple playoff berths in each of the last two seasons. With three very good programs and playoff-friendly schedules filled with I-AA opponents, that trend could continue in 2006 and beyond.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default...AGN4034667.htm

Predicted Order:
1. Colgate
2. Lafayette
3. Lehigh
4. Fordham
5. Holy Cross
6. Bucknell
7. Georgetown