Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Carolina should go to the Big South

You are not gonna forget me. GO CATS! catamount man's Avatar
    My Team
    Western Carolina

Western Carolina should go to the Big South

We are just not competitive anymore in the SoCon. Over 30 years of inept administration as it pertains to athletics will not be fixed just because our new chancellor has vowed to make WCU into a football power. Whatever slight mojo Kent Briggs and his staff brought about by beating App back in 2004 and then finishing 5-4 in 2005 vanished that winter in 2006 and it hasn't even thought of coming back to Cullowhee.

With a 1-5 record this year, WCU is now 12-61 since the end of the 2005 season. WCU lost 20 straight SoCon games from last game of 2005 until Nov 2008. Yesterday's loss now makes 18 straight. Yes, WCU is about to break their own damn record!

I am sorry to be negative and I know fellow Western fans may slam me but damn, enough is enough. A schedule of Presbyterian, Charleston Southern, VMI may be just what the doctor ordered. It sucks week after week driving to a game and sitting there KNOWING your team is going to lose.

Stop the bleeding! Join the Big South WCU! GO CATS!

Re: Western Carolina should go to the Big South

Wait don't go!!!!

our rivalry would suffer..........

Be patient, you guys will get there, take a look at history. Tons of teams are known year in and year out as celler dwellers across college football and it only takes a few pieces to fall into place for them to gain some good wins and climb out.

You are not gonna forget me. GO CATS! catamount man's Avatar
    My Team
    Western Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer#96 View Post
    Wait don't go!!!!

our rivalry would suffer..........

Be patient, you guys will get there, take a look at history. Tons of teams are known year in and year out as celler dwellers across college football and it only takes a few pieces to fall into place for them to gain some good wins and climb out.
    I know this but man it just gets old year after year. By the time we do get good, you guys and GSU will be in I-A and God only knows what the SoCon will look like.

[QUOTE=madhatterCAT;1861262]I know this but man it just gets old year after year. By the time we do get good, you guys and GSU will be in I-A and God only knows what the SoCon will look like.[/QUOTE]

Maybe a lot like the Big South

My Team
    Western Carolina

We have lost a bunch of games, we can afford to lose a few more until the current coach gets the ship turned around.

Besides, you really want to join an easier conference just to win games?

First Class FCS Ruler MorgantonAPPAlum's Avatar

I say this without trying to denigrate WCU (which I normally enjoy) but it might be for the best. VMI decided that they were better off outside the SOCON years ago and neither institution seems to have suffered. ASU and WCU would probably still play on a regular basis (like the Citadel and VMI do). If the WCU leadership determines that that would be the best move for them, there would be no shame in making the move.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

God made man, Sam Colt made men equal.

I will say this to add to MorgantonAppAlum's point, when VMI left to join the Big South, they expected to dominate, but it has been a tough row to hoe for the Runnin Roos (kdinva can offer the VMI perspective). That said, they kept sticking it out and now they are starting to show the fruits of patience in the new coaching staff and even a whole new philosophy on offense.
    2007 Big South Champs

Just a few short years ago, Indiana State was a horrible football program. Losing to NAIA teams, going winless, getting blown out by everybody in conference, etc. They were in a worse position than WCU is. They have turned that program around the past couple of years, and now they are a top 25 team with playoffs as the goal. The only question for WCU is will they put the right people in place and get serious about improving.

Several of us were talking about WCU at our tailgate yesterday. The analogy I used was that of turning around a runaway freight train. One cannot simply turn the train around. First, the train must be stopped. Then the train can be turned around. Finally, the train can retake the hill it's just flown down. From 2006 - 2011, WCU's football program was a runaway train that gained speed with each passing year. It does look like this is the year that the downhill run is stopping and, perhaps, turning around. Next year, hopefully, will be the beginning of the regaining on the hill. It can't be done quickly. Hang in there, WCU fans.
    When the going gets tough, the sprinters get out.

When VMI left, their initial goal was to leave in football only to rebuild their program and then return. ETSU would have nothing to do with that and VMI left altogether. If it weren't for PC, they would be BS cellar dwellers. When the ?SU's leave, the SoCon will reinvent itself, and suddenly UTC and WCU will be the "big publics". That might just be the shot WCU needs to become competitive. WCU would also be the only FCS team in the western half of North Carolina.