ASU #38 (Retired)

Dino Hackett

Appalachian State University football retired its third jersey, Dino Hackett’s No. 38, during homecoming festivities on Oct. 29, 2005.
“I’ve had a lot of honors in the NFL and college, and I can honestly say having my number retired at Appalachian is the greatest honor I’ve ever received,” Hackett said.
A member of Appalachian’s 75th Anniversary Team, Hackett starred as a linebacker at ASU from 1982-85. He
holds eight school records, including most solo (106), assisted (94) and
total tackles (200) in a season, which he accomplished in 1985 en route to first-team All-America accolades. His 27 total tackles against
East Tennessee State on Nov. 23, 1985 are still tops in Appalachian’s single-game annals, as are his 18 solo stops versus Furman on Oct.
26, 1985. In addition to the All-America recognition as a senior, Hackett was also
an all-Southern Conference honoree in both 1984 and ‘85. Following his standout collegiate career, Hackett was selected in the second round
(35th overall) of the 1986 National Football League Draft by the KansasCity Chiefs, which remains the highest that a Mountaineer has ever been drafted
by an NFL team. He went on to enjoy a successful seven-year professional career, spending six seasons with the Chiefs and one with the Seattle Seahawks. One of
only seven Chiefs to ever start all 16 games as a rookie, Hackett’s 140 tackles in 1986 are the second-most by a rookie in team history. He went on to earn a spot
in the Pro Bowl following the 1988 season, in which he was part of the K.C.’s toprated pass defense. His 16 tackles versus the Seahawks on Sept. 20, 1987 is still a
Kansas City record.

38' 9-1-0 Coach: Kidd Brewer