From Catamountsports.com

WCU Head Football Coach Kent Briggs Has Surgery
Briggs Is Fully Expected to Be on the Sidelines Come August

May 20, 2005

Cullowhee, N.C. - Western Carolina athletics director Chip Smith announced today that Catamount head football coach Kent Briggs had surgery Thursday at Sylva's Harris Regional Hospital to remove a cancerous growth in his neck. Briggs was released by the hospital today and will undergo aggressive radiation treatments this summer. However, he is expected to be back on the sidelines for the 2005 season.

"From all indications, the surgery went well and Kent is in good spirits," Smith said. "We have been told that this surgery, especially so early in the process, yields a success rate over 80 percent."

Briggs will not be available for comment for several days and his family would appreciate their privacy at this time. Also, Briggs and his family would like to thank everyone for their well wishes and keeping him and his family in their thoughts and prayers.

Statement from WCU Head Football Coach Kent Briggs

"The surgeons at Harris Hospital have been fantastic and the support staff has been tremendous as well. I have been fortunate to be in such good hands. I am truly blessed to have a wonderful family and the support from the athletics department and friends. I know we will be very successful though the next stage of treating this and I am excited about the future."