Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FCS teams on video games - a general contemporary/historical inquiry

Question FCS teams on video games - a general contemporary/historical inquiry

Hi guys,

Apologies if this has been posted here before.

But, rather than specific comments relating to a certain year's college football video game, I more just have a few general questions, as I'd love to play as an FCS team on my PS3, but I've been out of the loop for a while, and wouldn't be opposed to buying a console from the past.

1.) So, I get that FCS teams aren't on the games as you buy them from the store. Have they ever been at any point in the past for any console/platform?

2.) I was told by someone who owns a 360 that in order to 'build a team' on the newest/current EA game, your only choice is to download a roster, and to do that, you have to pay for a lengthy online subscription. Is that entirely accurate, and the same for PS3 as for X-Box?

3.) Are there any past games, regardless of year or console, where you could simply 'build a team' right on the game itself/save it on your memory card or whatever, and create players, etc., independently, WITHOUT having to deal with the whole online/subscription/download hassle?

Thanks for the help.

First Class FCS Ruler cbarrier90's Avatar

Re: FCS teams on video games - a general contemporary/historical inquiry

Quote Originally Posted by MDSE View Post
    3.) Are there any past games, regardless of year or console, where you could simply 'build a team' right on the game itself/save it on your memory card or whatever, and create players, etc., independently, WITHOUT having to deal with the whole online/subscription/download hassle?
    NCAA 09 has the "Create-a-School" feature which lets create and save straight from the game. The only drawback is you can't be as detailed with your creation as TeamBuilder Online.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSE View Post
    1.) So, I get that FCS teams aren't on the games as you buy them from the store. Have they ever been at any point in the past for any console/platform?
    NCAA 09 for PS2 has teams, rosters and conferences up to date with 2007 and is the last year I'm aware of that EA included FCS teams. It also lets you edit both the FCS and the FBS rosters.

Thanks! Sounds like I should buy NCAA '09 then. For PS3?

I can do a dynasty/legacy mode as a team I create, then, recruiting players and the whole deal?

I take it the only downside is the logos/jerseys/etc. are composites/cartoon type things?

NCAA12 has the "teambuilder" feature. http://www.easports.com/teambuilder#/home Individuals have to create the teams and post them online. With Xbox you might have to be subscribed to Xbox live. With Ps3, im pretty sure its free.

I have downloaded the entire Socon. WCU is accurate with their rosters and ASU's is as well. Not sure about the rest. The only problem is that the stadiums for these downloaded teams are not accurate, as the individual had to create them so they come out generic. But the FBS stadiums are pretty sweet. Also there is not going to be a playoff, because basically you download the teams and stick them in FBS conferences. For example, my socon teams play in the Sun Belt.

AGS World Heavyweight Champion
    My Team
    Bobby Heenan School of Broadcast Journalism

If you're going to buy an older version, 2007 (Reggie Bush on the cover?) for PS2 was about the best. Had just about all of the 1AA/FCS teams at the time, you could create teams without having to have a subscription to anything, and you could interject the teams into whatever FBS conferences you wanted. Downside is no playoffs (that was only available on NCAA '99 for the original PlayStation) and PS2 games aren't compatible with the newer PS3 systems, although they are still making games for PS2, so it's not gone the way of the dodo yet.
    University of Delaware: Cop Free Since 1743
    Brock Free Since 10-16
    Lunch by invitation only

I haven't bought a college football game in many years because of the lack of FCS teams, which I can tolerate to some extent. But the fact that nobody has put out a college basketball game in the past 3 or 4 years really disappoints me.

If you really want to play with a FCS team though I can help, if you don't mind playing a 20 year old game on an antiquated system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Play_Action_Football

This was the last college football game I bought. It was nails for it's time. I remember Montana, ASU, GSU and others on there. They also had DII teams, as I played as NDSU because NDSU was DII at the time. I actually downloaded the game for a SNES emulator a couple years back and messed around with it a bit on my computer. It obviously isn't an option for modern gamers, but I just wanted to point out that if Nintendo could give us that product on a 16-bit gaming console, it really shouldn't be an issue on todays monster gaming machines.

My Team
    North Dakota State

Why doesnt EA or 2k or whoever makes the college football game put out a $10 dlc that has the FCS teams on it? $10 dlc that has the DII teams, $10 dlc that has the DIII or NAIA whatever.

It couldnt take them that long, if they can sell 30,000 downloads of them they would make back way more than the money they invest putting them out..

I mean... I have an NCAA basketball game from 09 and ben woodside is a black guy in it...
    North Dakota State University Football
    National Champions: 1965 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 2011 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21
    MVFC champions: 2011 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18 '19 '21

My Team
    North Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post
    Why doesnt EA or 2k or whoever makes the college football game put out a $10 dlc that has the FCS teams on it? $10 dlc that has the DII teams, $10 dlc that has the DIII or NAIA whatever.

It couldnt take them that long, if they can sell 30,000 downloads of them they would make back way more than the money they invest putting them out..

I mean... I have an NCAA basketball game from 09 and ben woodside is a black guy in it...
    I have that game and played as NDSU...they put the crowd wearing green and WHITE (I wonder what school they were thinking of).
    UND (3-5) at E.Washington (7-2)
    1-3 BSC Record

Darell wants the precioussssssssss!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darell1976 View Post
    I have that game and played as NDSU...they put the crowd wearing green and WHITE (I wonder what school they were thinking of).
    As there wasn't any pink, I'm still going with NDSU...

My Team
    North Dakota State

Hes got you darell.
    North Dakota State University Football
    National Champions: 1965 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 2011 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21
    MVFC champions: 2011 '12 '13 '14 '15 '16 '17 '18 '19 '21