PDA

View Full Version : "Project I-AA": PS/2 NCAA '06

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2006, 09:46 AM
The release of the A-10 two-deep has got me thinking as to a "summer project" for me. But first, I need to know some information.

I'd like to re-jigger the data in NCAA '06 to have a complete I-AA rewrite. Basically:

* make new rosters for '06 for all I-AA teams.
* rename conferences to be I-AA conferences
* make schedules corresponding to 2006 real schedules
* playoffs and national champion

Here's the rub: I never *bought* NCAA '06. I was thinking of buying a used copy (therefore not rewarding EA Sports for their shoddy treatment of I-AA) and then doing all the rejiggering myself. This means I'm pretty ignorant of all the ins/outs of NCAA '06, including conference set up, etc.

Questions:
1) Can you make custom conferences and leagues? Or do I need to retro-fit teams into exisitng I-A conferences like the Big 12?
2) Are playoffs still an option, or am I stuck with (yech) bowls? I know older versions had the playoff option.
3) I'm assuming "dynasties" are not available with I-AA's, right?
4) Is this more than one man can handle?

MplsBison
May 12th, 2006, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure the game is basically going to be the BCS only.

Not sure if they're even going to keep options for adding teams or changing teams in conferences.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2006, 10:23 AM
No, you don't understand, I'm trying to modify the existing NCAA version ('06), not '07 that has already been released.

*That* I know somebody has. :cool:

Pard4Life
May 12th, 2006, 11:03 AM
No, you don't understand, I'm trying to modify the existing NCAA version ('06), not '07 that has already been released.

*That* I know somebody has. :cool:

You mean manipulate the code? On a PS2 game? You can do that?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
No, I mean, just take the original data and repalce it with current (2006) data for I-AA teams.

Thinking about this further, I could do this with any NCAA game that has good gameplay, though '06 would be best since it had the most I-AA teams of all the versions. ('05 was good too - it has all the teams that '06 had, minus SeLa of the Southland.)

I'm asking the AGS community on this since I'm flying a bit blind. I never bought NCAA '06, '05 or '04, so I don't know if you can customize leagues or not.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to figure out what it would take to do this. What I'm thinking is, to make a memory card with all the current I-AA data/schedules/conferences/playoffs/etc. on it, and making it available to the AGS community.

catdaddy2402
May 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM
In NCAA06 you can add any 1-AA or created team to any of the 1-A leagues, but you are limited to the number of teams that league already has, and you can't change the conference name. Say you add Montana State to the WAC, you'd have to remove one of the existing teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM
OK, so for '06, you're limited to bowls and the existing I-A conference structure.

What about '05? Anyone want to dust off a copy? :cool: I am very interested in getting a chance to do playoffs, but I'm not sure if I have to go into ancient history (like... Playstation 1) to do that. I do know that NCAA '99 has the option to select "playoff".

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2006, 02:59 PM
OK, looks like I would have to go to NCAA 2001 :( to have a playoff system in place. It's a Playstation 1 game.

This could, theoretically, work. PS1 games play in PS2 consoles, and I checked that it had the create-a-team feature and playoffs. It looks like that I would have to use that as a starting point.

It doesn't sound too bad:

Other, adjustable, components of NCAA Football 2001 include a, full scale, team creation mode called Creating a School. This mode allows you to create fictitious colleges or those not included within the 140 Division 1-A and 1-AA teams. The engine that drives this 'creation interface' is quite intricate, right down to the size of the enrollment, the city and state name, nickname and mascot. You even choose the uniform colors. I found it fun to play with and very simple to use and navigate.

This looks like the one to play with, if I'm going to do this right. Playoffs, some I-AA teams, and a team creation mode.

Who might be interested in this, if I go ahead and do this? (Aside from me, I mean.) I don't know how much a PS1 copy of NCAA 2001 might be, PS1 memory cards, etc. But if there's a demand for it, I will do my best to try to make this happen.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2006, 07:24 PM
OK, I'm going ahead an ebay-ing a copy of this game. NCAA Football 2001, with (only) 26 I-AA teams, and capability for playoffs.

2001 is the perfect storm of features that would allow me to do this. It's the only version that allows creating new schools, and also supports a playoff.

Being a PS1 game, it will be playable in PS2 consoles.

I think this could be good! The only question may be: how many teams will the PS1 card support? Guess I'll find out the ins and outs.

cosmo here
May 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM
OK, I'm going ahead an ebay-ing a copy of this game. NCAA Football 2001, with (only) 26 I-AA teams, and capability for playoffs.

2001 is the perfect storm of features that would allow me to do this. It's the only version that allows creating new schools, and also supports a playoff.

Being a PS1 game, it will be playable in PS2 consoles.

I think this could be good! The only question may be: how many teams will the PS1 card support? Guess I'll find out the ins and outs.

LFN - I would advise against buying the 2001 version, as a veteran of the PS1/2 NCAA football process, the game play stinks. I didn't like the 06 game play either . . I would go with 05. I know it doesn't have the playoff option and you're a hardcore I-AA-er, but personally I think the game play advantage of 05 outweighs the playoffs of 01.

You can create teams and drop them in existing I-A conferences and make it work. I created rankings for Lafayette last year and would be willing to repeat the process for you this year if you would like.

PM me if you'd like . .

rokamortis
May 12th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Is there a PC game or MOD available that we could use? i think ti would be cool if we could have a game that we can tailor to our needs. Also where the I-AA community can make rosters / images available for their teams that others can download and install. Anyone know of anything like this? I found this but not sure if it fits the bill: http://www.maximum-football.com/

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2006, 08:18 PM
It's meant to simulate a professional-style league:

User definable league structures allow for unlimited numbers of teams in 1 to 4 conferences with 1 to 4 divisions per conference.

It looks like you'd have to develop a jiggered playoff system to make this work. There would have to be 4 conferences, with 4 divisions beneath them.

Still, interesting.

cosmo here
May 12th, 2006, 08:39 PM
LFN - just PM-ed you, let me know what you think. I'd strongly encourage the 2005 but of course you're doing the legwork here !! :beerchug: