PDA

View Full Version : Is Central Arkansas 'IN'?

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Interesting... Commissioner Burnett says UCA is 'IN'. I still have them on the bubble with the only thing going 'right' for UCA this past weekend is a loss by Georgetown to Lehigh...

Very happy for @ucasports coach @clintconque and his NCAA playoff bound #UCA team in only their second year of championship eligibility.

http://twitter.com/#!/SLC_Commish/status/135524574245818368

Congrats to the #UCA Bears for their final 8-3 record and 7-game win streak after big 23-22 win over Texas State. Bears are playoff bound!!

http://twitter.com/#!/SLC_Commish/status/135523760227885056

FargoBison
November 12th, 2011, 07:12 PM
6 DI wins.....two FBS losses...they are a very interesting case.

Check that they have 7 DI wins.

danefan
November 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Probably a little premature to make official pronouncements, but I have a hard time not seeing them get an at-large.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2011, 07:15 PM

Seven Division I wins including a nice little winning streak of seven straight to end the season...

Latest 'tweet'...

Great to again have multiple @SouthlandSports teams, @BearkatSports and @ucasports, headed to the NCAA Division I Football Championship!

http://twitter.com/#!/SLC_Commish/status/135525783195226112

danefan

7 DI wins.

TexasTerror
Probably a little premature to make official pronouncements, but I have a hard time not seeing them get an at-large.

I feel comfortable with UCA being in the playoffs, not 100% comfortable as I fear that if every thing works against UCA next week - they could be in trouble.

FargoBison
November 12th, 2011, 07:16 PM
7 DI wins.

Yep, just noticed ESPN hadn't updated their record. They are in.

Gil Dobie
November 12th, 2011, 07:18 PM
IN

UNH Fanboi
November 12th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Interesting... Commissioner Burnett says UCA is 'IN'. I still have them on the bubble with the only thing going 'right' for UCA this past weekend is a loss by Georgetown to Lehigh..

Wofford and Furman losing helped.

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Interesting... Commissioner Burnett says UCA is 'IN'. I still have them on the bubble with the only thing going 'right' for UCA this past weekend is a loss by Georgetown to Lehigh...

I would say Elon over Furman went your way.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2011, 07:21 PM
In. But playing on Thanksgiving weekend.

JoshUCA
November 12th, 2011, 07:22 PM
All I have to say is GO BEARS!!!!

Twentysix
November 12th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Congrats to UCA

BEAR
November 12th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I want to give the jockstrap to "UGLY" in that game vs. Texas State. That sucker made it one horrible game! But a W is a W..and against an FBS transitional team with more schollys!

GO BEARS! Playoff bound!

Congrats to the Kats for their outright title. xbowx

danefan
November 12th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Looking at some of these other possible scenarios, it could come down to UCA with 7 DI wins up against teams like JMU with 7 DI wins.

I wouldn't be so confident in UCA getting that at-large.

I think UCA better hope UNI wins tonight and knocks SUU out of consideration.

Dallas Demon
November 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Looking at some of these other possible scenarios, it could come down to UCA with 7 DI wins up against teams like JMU with 7 DI wins.

I wouldn't be so confident in UCA getting that at-large.

I think UCA better hope UNI wins tonight and knocks SUU out of consideration.

Anyone who thinks UCA will not get an at-large bid now is kidding themselves.

Congrats Sam for winning the championship/autobid and UCA for a darn-near-sure at large bid. Now go and represent the Southland well. xthumbsupx

WileECoyote06
November 12th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I said it in the other thread, it's difficult for the committee to ignore seven consecutive wins.

frozennorth
November 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM
In your favor: wofford, gtown and furman losing

Not in your favor: ytown winning.

LouiseBFree
November 12th, 2011, 10:47 PM
UCA:
8-3
7 DI wins in a row to end the season.
Three losses were to a pair of bowl-eligible FBS teams (one in OT and the other without their QB) and to the only undefeated FCS team.
If they are not in, the whole thing is a sham!!!!!

Guaranteed stone cold lock!!!!!! xthumbsupx

BEAR
November 12th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Game photo. Beautiful fall sunset. Amazing.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296465_2632177771826_1476866799_2825187_1100223814 _n.jpg

BEAR
November 12th, 2011, 10:55 PM
UCA 8-3.

7 DI wins in a row.
Loss to Sunbelt Conference champion.
Loss to undefeated outright Southland conference champion.
Overtime loss to WAC team.

Nice resume. Is it enough? I certainly hope so.

FCS Go!
November 12th, 2011, 10:56 PM
They're the classic opening team for the playoffs at Wa-Griz though I'd much rather see Stony Brook or even Indiana St.

LouiseBFree
November 12th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Won all the games they could have been expected to. Can't ask anymore of them. They're definitely in.

UCA 8-3.

7 DI wins in a row.
Loss to Sunbelt Conference champion.
Loss to undefeated outright Southland conference champion.
Overtime loss to WAC team.

Nice resume. Is it enough? I certainly hope so.

Tod
November 12th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Game photo. Beautiful fall sunset. Amazing.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296465_2632177771826_1476866799_2825187_1100223814 _n.jpg

Beautiful! Love your field, too.

BEAR
November 12th, 2011, 11:08 PM
Beautiful! Love your field, too.

You're one of the few. xlolx

Tod
November 12th, 2011, 11:11 PM
You're one of the few. xlolx

Does that include UCA fans?

McNeese75
November 12th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Bears are in

BEAR
November 12th, 2011, 11:41 PM
From Conque's twitter feed:

clintconqueClint Conque

Celebrate Bear Nation! Finish regular season 8-3, 6-1 and 7 strait D-1 wins. Comish has tweeted we are in! Geaux Bears

1 hour ago

GSU Eagle
November 12th, 2011, 11:44 PM
The reality is after next week if you list all the teams with minimum 7 D1 wins there won't be many more than 20. So I will join the group saying UCA is in.

BEAR
November 12th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Eh...if you look at it long enough, it kinda grows on you. I guess it's like smoking. Your first puff makes you puke up a lung, then eventually you get used to it. The field isn't a fav of all Bear fans, but it has grown on even those who want the green back. It'll be gone in less than 9 years anyway. xlolx

Mr. C
November 13th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Very presumptuous from Tom Burnett to say UCA is in when the Division I football committee has even met yet. The Bears may get in, but Burnett should not have any inside information. That isn't the way the system works.

Cincy App
November 13th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I think UCA will be in the playoff field. The Playoff Selection Committee would basically have to take a 5th team from the MVC or CAA over the 2nd team from the Southland. I think the SL's second team makes it.

IMO, the 2 primary bubble teams on the outside looking in are Illinois State and James Madison. Illinois State will make the field if they win next week against UNI. If they do, then YSU or Indiana St likely fall out (probably Ind St out). JMU does not have the resume at this stage. UNH looks better than JMU even if Maine beats the Wildcats next week. Nevertheless, we still have one week to play. The picture will change once again.

lionsrking2
November 13th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Stone cold lock ... Bears are in.

danefan
November 13th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Look, I think UCA has a very good chance, but you guys saying its a "stone cold lock" are either making a huge assumption on behalf of the committee or are ignoring the possibility of 7 win teams from stronger conferences.

James Madison Dukes
Sep 3 - L at North Carolina, 10-42
Sep 10 - W vs. Cent Conn St, 14-3
Sep 17 - W at Liberty, 27-24
Sep 24 - W at William & Mary, 20-14
Oct 1 - W vs. Richmond, 31-7
Oct 8 - L vs. Maine, 24-25 OT
Oct 15 - W vs. Villanova, 34-10
Oct 22 - Open
Oct 29 - L at Old Dominion, 20-23
Nov 5 - L at New Hampshire, 10-28
Nov 12 - W vs. Rhode Island, 31-13
Nov 19 - W Massachusetts, 1:00 PM(assume a win)

Illinois State Redbirds
Sep 1 - L at Eastern Ill, 26-33
Sep 10 - W vs. Morehead State, 52-21
Sep 17 - L at Youngstown St, 27-34
Sep 24 - W vs. South Dakota St, 20-13
Oct 1 - L at North Dakota St, 10-20
Oct 8 - W at Missouri State, 38-13
Oct 15 - W vs. South Dakota, 28-3
Oct 22 - W vs. Indiana State, 17-14
Oct 29 - W at Southern Ill, 38-30
Nov 5 - W vs. Western Ill, 31-7
Nov 12 - Open
Nov 19 - L Northern Iowa, 12:00 PM (assume a loss)

Central Arkansas Bears
Sep 1 - W vs. Henderson St, 38-14
Sep 10 - L at Louisiana Tech, 42-48 OT
Sep 17 - L at Sam Houston St, 10-31
Sep 24 - L at Arkansas State, 24-53
Oct 1 - W vs. Stephen F Austin, 38-28
Oct 8 - W at Nicholls State, 37-31
Oct 15 - W vs. McNeese State, 21-18
Oct 22 - W at Lamar, 38-24
Oct 29 - W vs. SE Louisiana, 55-29
Nov 5 - W at Northwestern St, 45-20
Nov 12 - W vs. Texas State, 23-22

UNH Fanboi
November 13th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Sagarin currently has UCA ranked 26, behind all of the other bubble teams (JMU is exactly one spot behind them, but would definitely move ahead with a win over UMass). UCA has no bad wins, but no wins of note. It is extremely unprofessional for the SLC commissioner to be tweeting that UCA is in the playoffs.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Sagarin currently has UCA ranked 26, behind all of the other bubble teams (JMU is exactly one spot behind them, but would definitely move ahead with a win over UMass). UCA has no bad wins, but no wins of note. It is extremely unprofessional for the SLC commissioner to be tweeting that UCA is in the playoffs.

Ah, the problem with computer formulas. Had you watched any of that UCA/La Tech game rather than pay atention to a silly computer formula, you'd know that UCA belongs.

GaSouthern
November 13th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I hope UCA comes to Statesboro now that we are playing football again.

LouiseBFree
November 13th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I think the Commissioner is just expressing his opinion, just like the rest of us do on a daily and usually anonymous basis.

UNH Fanboi
November 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Ah, the problem with computer formulas. Had you watched any of that UCA/La Tech game rather than pay atention to a silly computer formula, you'd know that UCA belongs.

I never said that they don't belong--just that it is not a foregone conclusion. A moral victory over a WAC team is not a playoff clincher.

UNH Fanboi
November 13th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I think the Commissioner is just expressing his opinion, just like the rest of us do on a daily and usually anonymous basis.

The commissioner of a conference should be held to a little higher standard when expressing his opinion. I'd have no problem with him saying that UCA deserves a bid. But to say that UCA is definitely in is irresponsible. Some people reading his tweets may not be familiar with the FCS selection process and misinterpret them.

BEAR
November 13th, 2011, 09:13 AM
The commissioner of a conference should be held to a little higher standard when expressing his opinion. I'd have no problem with him saying that UCA deserves a bid. But to say that UCA is definitely in is irresponsible. Some people reading his tweets may not be familiar with the FCS selection process and misinterpret them.

This is the same commish that told UCA they were up for the conference title in 2007 if they beat McNeese and told UCA in 2008 they weren't eligible the week before they had the best record in conference and could have won the title. Bear fans have no confidence in anything he says. xlolx

JMUNJ08
November 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM
To tell these teams apart is EXTERMELY difficult. Here is their wins with some other highlights...Could probably throw YSU & ISUb in here too but just with what has been discussed the most...No win is that impressive and none may be against playoff teams, only major difference is the B_A_D loss to E.Illinois by ISUr

JMU Record of Wins - 22-38
- 1 Win vs. Winning Record Team
- No Bad Losses (3 CAA playoff teams and FBS)
- Best Win @ Liberty

UCA Record of Wins - 28-43
- 1 Win vs. Winning Record Team
- Sub-D1 Win
- No Bad Losses (Sam Houston & 2 FBS Teams)
- Best Win vs Texas St.

Ill St. Record of Wins - 25-46
- 2 Wins vs. Winning Record Teams
- Loss to 2-9 E. Ill from OVC
- Best Win @ ISUb

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2011, 10:36 AM
For this week I have Central Arkansas in as the last team in. James Madison and Indiana St are the only real threats they have on the outside of the bubble IMO. I think 8-3 UCA gets in over a 7-4 James Madison.

I originally thought that YSU beating NDSU hurt Indiana St's playoff chances but it might actually help them in that their head-to-head win against YSU looks better now than it did last week. UCA vs Indiana St really looks like a toss-up at this point. And if Illinois St loses to UNI next weekend they'll be firmly on the bubble as well. As of right now, I see the last 5 contenders for the last 3 playoff spot in this order:

1) Illinois St
2) Youngstown St
3) UCA
4) Indiana St
5) James Madison

txst80
November 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Congrats on the win yesterday and congrats on a nice 7 game winning streak when you needed them all. I hope you guys make the field of 20.

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM
definitely IN

BEAR
November 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Congrats on the win yesterday and congrats on a nice 7 game winning streak when you needed them all. I hope you guys make the field of 20.

I've been reading your fan website. NO LOVE for coach huh? xlolx I was shocked how poorly we played Saturday and still Nathan threw for 475 yards. Do you know how many long balls were just outside of the fingertips of our receivers? UNREAL! Anyway, good luck in the WAC..with a new coach. xlolx

txst80
November 13th, 2011, 09:05 PM
I've been reading your fan website. NO LOVE for coach huh? xlolx I was shocked how poorly we played Saturday and still Nathan threw for 475 yards. Do you know how many long balls were just outside of the fingertips of our receivers? UNREAL! Anyway, good luck in the WAC..with a new coach. xlolx

Well we won't have a new coach. Pretty sure Fran and our AD have a sexual relationship.

Can you condone his coaching decisions in yesterdays game? He was content to go 3 & out and punt the entire second half. I guess he expected our defense to hold you to 7 all game...

And why bring in Hawkins to hand the ball off? He threw 1 pass, a screen that lost 4 yards. He had negative yards running the ball and you guys put 10 in the box when he was in the game. He has no faith in Arndt and it seems unwarranted.

Despite how many yards you guys put up our defense played well enough to win. And as you pointed out, Dick was just a bit off, and Fran did nothing offensively to put us in a position to win. Kudos to your defense, but Fran was the best player on UCA's defense yesterday.

Long story short, yeah we are pissed.

JmuSkinsfan
November 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I would have to think a 7-4 JMU team gets in over a 7-3 UCA team. could be wrong, though. I just have a hard time believing a 7-4 (5-3) CAA team sits at home ... especially if for a 2nd Southland team.

Pitz
November 13th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure how so many people are confident that a 7-win team from the Southland gets in over a 7-win team from the CAA, MVFC or SoCon. I can see the arguments for a UCA at-large bid, but any talk of locks and definite inclusion is irresponsible at best.

Even the Patriot League has a higher rating than the Southland Conference.

Dallas Demon
November 13th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I'm not sure how so many people are confident that a 7-win team from the Southland gets in over a 7-win team from the CAA, MVFC or SoCon. I can see the arguments for a UCA at-large bid, but any talk of locks and definite inclusion is irresponsible at best.

Folks, UCA is an 8 win team - 8-3. They are in, find one of the other 7-4 teams to pick on. Think about it, do you really think the west ADs will pick a 5th team in a single eastern conference that has one more loss than a team from the west? Not gonna happen.

lionsrking2
November 13th, 2011, 10:20 PM

UCA is an eight win team and yes, they are in the playoffs - period.

They have seven D-I wins and two of their losses are to FBS schools having solid years ... one in OT to a Louisiana Tech team that has six wins (one SEC) and close losses to 11th ranked Houston, 19th ranked USM, and SEC Mississippi State on the road ... the other was to an eight win Arkansas State team, and Nathan Dick did not play.

Pitz
November 13th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Folks, UCA is an 8 win team - 8-3. They are in, find one of the other 7-4 teams to pick on. Think about it, do you really think the west ADs will pick a 5th team in a single eastern conference that has one more loss than a team from the west? Not gonna happen.

7 DI wins, though. The committee has proven time and time again that non-DI wins are basically irrelevant. They have also proven that they pay no attention to the number of teams picked from a single conference. The CAA has even had 5 teams in before the field expanded to 20 teams.

lionsrking2
November 13th, 2011, 10:25 PM
7 DI wins, though. The committee has proven time and time again that non-DI wins are basically irrelevant. They have also proven that they pay no attention to the number of teams picked from a single conference. The CAA has even had 5 teams in before the field expanded to 20 teams.

Would you care to wager?

darell1976
November 13th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I hope UCA gets in...that would be another playoff team on our slate next season!! Go UCA!!!

Pitz
November 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM

They have seven D-I wins and two of their losses are to FBS schools having solid years ... one in OT to a Louisiana Tech team that has six wins (one SEC) and close losses to 11th ranked Houston, 19th ranked USM, and SEC Mississippi State on the road ... the other was to an eight win Arkansas State team, and Nathan Dick did not play.

Would you care to wager?

I'm not claiming they should or shouldn't be in. I'm just stating my surprise of the confidence for the inclusion of team with absolutely no signature wins.

GeauxLions94
November 13th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Count on an 8-3 UCA team, with its only losses coming to Sam Houston State and FBS schools Louisiana Tech and Arkansas State, getting an at-large in the playoffs .,.. hard to ignore seven straight wins down the stretch.

tingly
November 13th, 2011, 11:01 PM
Nobowls has 2 teams between UCA and the at-large 10. He has at least 4 teams ahead of UCA needing a win to get 7 D1 wins.

lionsrking2
November 13th, 2011, 11:09 PM
They're in.

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Count on an 8-3 UCA team, with its only losses coming to Sam Houston State and FBS schools Louisiana Tech and Arkansas State, getting an at-large in the playoffs .,.. hard to ignore seven straight wins down the stretch.

UCA is 7-3 in the eyes of the committee and it's easy to ignore a lot of things in favor of a home game here:

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/OW/OWUKWANSKELLEJI.20110911030059.jpg

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 05:51 AM

You should read the selection criteria and tell me how confident you feel.

The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to complete the bracket. Per NCAA Bylaw 31, the basic criteria used in the selection of at-large participants are (1) won-lost record, (2) strength-of-schedule, and (3) eligibility and availability of student-athletes for the NCAA championship;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents; and
5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2011/2011_1_football.pdf

All of the above favor a 7-4 JMU team over a 7-3 UCA team.

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 05:58 AM
I hope I'm wrong though because I think Southland fans will instantaneously combust if UCA ends up getting Woofed.

Dallas Demon
November 14th, 2011, 08:05 AM
You should read the selection criteria and tell me how confident you feel.

All of the above favor a 7-4 JMU team over a 7-3 UCA team.

Why not have all 11 Colonial teams in the playoffs first, then start selecting at-large teams after that? Believe me, there are "unwritten" rules the ADs (both from the east and the west) also use in selecting teams. Read my lips - UCA is in and rightfully so, there are other teams to pick on. xnonox

TheRevSFA
November 14th, 2011, 08:08 AM
UCA should be in, and will probably look real good in the playoffs.

I still say that field is the reason they went on a tear. It's horrible. :D

Congrats Bears on a great season. I hope you get to make the playoff run you deserved to have a few years ago.

Oh and congrats prison guards on your SLC championship. I hope you guys do get a seed. I'm betting 3 seed.

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 08:17 AM
Why not have all 11 Colonial teams in the playoffs first, then start selecting at-large teams after that? Believe me, there are "unwritten" rules the ADs (both from the east and the west) also use in selecting teams. Read my lips - UCA is in and rightfully so, there are other teams to pick on. xnonox

I'm not picking on anyone. No other 7 win team from a mid-tier conference has made such bold claims as being "stoned cold lock".......

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Here's a question for you guys to answer.....when was the last time a 7-win team from a league other than the CAA, Socon, MVFC or Big Sky got an at-large?

BTW - you guys should be thanking me. I'm tempering your expectations. Its great that you're so psyched, but I'm worried about your coping skills should the Committee stick to what it has done historically. Please accept my comments as an offer of assistance. :)xsmiley_wix

WrenFGun
November 14th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Just my opinion, but UCA is out right now, if the season ended today.

UNH, Maine, Old Dominion, Illinois State, Indiana State, Wofford, Northern Iowa, Youngstown, Montana and Appalachian State are all more deserving.

James Madison can also sneak into the conversation with a 7th DI win. UCA does not have a quality win on their resume.

Things that UCA need to happen to get in with 7 DI wins, IMO:
1. James Madison to lose in the finale to UMass (not 100% sure that JMU is in over them, but a win over a playoff-bound Liberty may make the difference)
2. One of Wofford, Indiana State or Youngstown State to lose next week so that they do not get 7 DI wins.

Beyond those two scenarios, I'm not sure what makes UCA's resume better than any of the teams I listed above.

TexasTerror
November 14th, 2011, 08:29 PM
UCA officials believe they are IN...

UCA officials have been given strong indications that the Bears, who will finish second to undefeated Sam Houston State in the Southland Conference race, will receive an at-large invitation to the 20-team NCAA FCS playoffs that will begin the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The bracket will be announced at 9 a.m. Sunday and UCA plans a watch party at Estes Stadium.

“As far as a body of work, our resume speaks for itself,” Conque said. “Look at our three losses: Sam Houston is undefeated and now ranked second in FCS. Louisiana Tech, which we took to overtime, is playing for the Western Athletic Conference championship and beat Ole Miss last week. Arkansas State should win the Sun Belt.”

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2011-11-14/bears%E2%80%99-conque-talks-about-good-karma-against-texas-state-0#.TsHOUlb4I7U

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 08:36 PM
UCA officials believe they are IN...

http://thecabin.net/sports/college/2011-11-14/bears%E2%80%99-conque-talks-about-good-karma-against-texas-state-0#.TsHOUlb4I7U

If you're relying on how good your losses are, I think you're blowing smoke up a lot of asses.

Jim Harbaugh thought San Diego was in a few years ago too.

(I'm not talking about you TT)

McNeese75
November 14th, 2011, 09:05 PM
If you're relying on how good your losses are, I think you're blowing smoke up a lot of asses.

I think there has been a wager offer already thrown out and so DF if you are such a savant about the selection process then put your money up. I'm sure there is plenty is easy Southland money to be had. UCA is in.

FargoBison
November 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I'm actually going to agree with Danefan...Earlier I said UCA was in but now I think the are just a probable playoff team.

I'd give them an edge over most teams due to no bad losses but the lack of quality wins leaves some doubt about how the committee will treat them vs other teams that have a bad loss but also one or two quality wins.

danefan
November 14th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I think there has been a wager offer already thrown out and so DF if you are such a savant about the selection process then put your money up. I'm sure there is plenty is easy Southland money to be had. UCA is in.

Read my posts over. I've never said UCA won't get in.

All I've ever said is that no one from a mid-tier conference with 7 very mediocre DI wins should be so confident, especially considering you don't even know who you're being compared to yet.

I hope UCA gets in. If not this place is going to burn down.......

GeauxLions94
November 14th, 2011, 09:27 PM

DF, there's a big difference in UCA and USanDiego ... about 63 schollies. I believe that UCA at 8-3 will be in.

FargoBison
November 14th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Lets not be comparing UCA to San Deigo....the PFL makes the SLC look like the SEC.

asumike83
November 14th, 2011, 09:44 PM
It will depend on what happens in the last weekend. If Wofford or JMU lose, that would certainly be to their benefit. If they both win, I really could not justify putting UCA in over JMU. They do have the minimum 7 DI wins but what is their best?

JMU's win at Liberty is more impressive than any win on UCA's resume. Actually, a victory at UMass this weekend would also probably be more impressive than any UCA win. The only thing you could point out would be JMU's 4 losses to 3 for UCA. However, I think losses to ODU and Maine by 4 combined points is more impressive than a D2 win.

tingly
November 14th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Nobowls has these teams as at-larges if this week was cancelled: Appalachian St. (7-3), Illinois St. (7-3), Indiana St. (6-4), James Madison (6-4), Maine (8-2), Montana (8-2), New Hampshire (7-3), Northern Iowa (8-2), Old Dominion (9-2), Wofford (7-3). From looking at past brackets, Indiana St. should be their last to get in, big gap between #9 and ISU.

Their wait list in order is Youngstown St. (6-4), Furman (6-4), Central Arkansas (8-3), Eastern Kentucky (6-4), Jacksonville St. (6-4), Duquesne (8-2), Stony Brook (7-3), Georgetown (8-3).

Wofford is the only at-large that Massey has set to lose, and just barely, which would make it Youngstown St. vs. Central Arkansas for the last spot. EKU or Jax St. could get into the mix with a win. UMass upsetting JMU opens another spot. A huge upset of Furman over Florida should put Furman in the playoffs even if everybody wins. Or maybe nobowls has it wrong.

Dallas Demon
November 14th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Like others have said, anyone who wants to put money up on UCA not being selected please step forward - there are plenty of us willing to take your money.

Do you really think the selection team wouldn't all the championship host conference to not get a second team in the playoffs, especially since that team is deserving?

Also, what makes the CAA (UNH's win over Lehigh was good) or Southern any better than the Southland this year - especially the Southern. You haven't played anyone outside the conference (and won) to prove your worth this year.

UNH Fanboi
November 14th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Like others have said, anyone who wants to put money up on UCA not being selected please step forward - there are plenty of us willing to take your money.

Do you really think the selection team wouldn't all the championship host conference to not get a second team in the playoffs, especially since that team is deserving?

Also, what makes the CAA (UNH's win over Lehigh was good) or Southern any better than the Southland this year - especially the Southern. You haven't played anyone outside the conference (and won) to prove your worth this year.

First of all, for the 10th time, no one is saying that UCA will definitely not be selected. We are just saying that UCA is not a "lock" and the SLC commissioner is a clown for tweeting that they are.

Secondly, the SLC is perceived as weak because of some very recent playoff beatdowns. You will have your chance to prove us wrong though.

FargoBison
November 15th, 2011, 12:04 AM

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx284/TheWacoKidd/you_serious_clark.png

CAA has wins over Duke, Lehigh, Liberty, Albany(top NEC team). Maine played Pitt down to the wire and URI played Syracuse tough.

I know SHSU beat New Mexico and..............

asumike83
November 15th, 2011, 12:25 AM

There is a significant margin between the Southland and SoCon. Although they have not had any marquee non-conference FCS match ups, the Southern Conference has teams who have proven themselves in the postseason. Georgia Southern, Appalachian and Wofford have all been here before.

The SLC has 1 playoff win since '06. Until proven otherwise on the field, the SoCon and CAA will be considered better, and rightfully so.

danefan
November 15th, 2011, 05:45 AM
DF, there's a big difference in UCA and USanDiego ... about 63 schollies. I believe that UCA at 8-3 will be in.

I'm comparing Harbaugh to those making official proclamations about UCA being in already. Not UCA to USD.

Both were puffing with zero quality wins.

Obviously the UCA has a better chance and is more deserving,but UCA is as much of a "lock" now as San Diego was then.

You don't know anything until that Committee releases the field.

danefan
November 15th, 2011, 05:50 AM

The biggest screw job ever was to a team from the "host" conference. There's a reason why Woofed has become a verb around here.

Fear the Bird
November 15th, 2011, 06:28 AM
To me if everything goes chalk this weekend, last spot would be between JMU and UCA and hinge on the Liberty game. If Liberty wins, JMU OOC win stronger they are in. If Stony Brook wins, Liberty isnt as impressive, UCA goes.

BEAR
November 15th, 2011, 06:41 AM
No one has been picked yet. So UCA is not a lock.

Word here is UCA has already put the money up to host a first round game. Nice donors abound. xlolx

McNeese72
November 15th, 2011, 08:01 AM

Word here is UCA has already put the money up to host a first round game. Nice donors abound. xlolx

Uhhh! There is a deadline for making bids for home playoff games. Any team that has a remote possbility of making the playoffs will put bids in. That is the way it works every year. Some get in and some don't. Just cause you made a bid doesn't mean that anybody has any behind the scenes reassurance that you are in.

That being said, imo, UCA is in.

Doc

MplsBison
November 15th, 2011, 08:29 AM
They only have 7 DI wins - so will a lot of other teams out there. Lets see who has 7 DI wins after the dust settles.

As of right now, they're no lock in my book. They played in a conference with only one good team. Beating 7 average Southland teams is not good enough on its own for the playoffs (plus they beat a DII team from Ark).

danefan
November 15th, 2011, 08:34 AM
They only have 7 DI wins - so will a lot of other teams out there. Lets see who has 7 DI wins after the dust settles.

As of right now, they're no lock in my book. They played in a conference with only one good team. Beating 7 average Southland teams is not good enough on its own for the playoffs (plus they beat a DII team from Ark).

First post I've ever agreed with MplsBison on......

danefan
November 15th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Courtesy of mceyrvl on CS.com.....something Southland supports should take note of:

An article in the Harrisonburg paper discusses JMU's chances with a win over UMass. Much of it is similar to the discussion from here. But I thought this part was interesting. Mike Barber interviewed Montana's Jim O'Day, the head of the selection committee.

The committee should have no shortage of information on the Dukes. JMU athletic director Jeff Bourne is one of its members. But O’Day said Bourne – under committee bylaws – won’t be able to vote on the Dukes’ potential selection.

“You can be part of the discussion but not the vote,” O’Day said.

I was under the impression you couldn't be a part of the discussion...

I should point out that there's a quote from Bourne right after that and he says that everyone on the committee is ethical and sticks to their job of not pushing their own agenda, but I thought that was interesting.

JMU2004
November 15th, 2011, 09:28 AM
to me, it is quite simple.

IF Liberty and JMU win this weekend, JMU is in. If either lose, someone else takes the last spot.

McNeese72
November 15th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Courtesy of mceyrvl on CS.com.....something Southland supports should take note of:

No new revelations there.

Doc

danefan
November 15th, 2011, 09:50 AM
No new revelations there.

Doc

It seems to me some folks, including the SLC Commish, forgot how the Committee operates.....

jmu_duke07
November 15th, 2011, 09:55 AM

All possible teams have put in bids and I bet that JMU has put up MUCH MORE money than UCA. You're stadium only holds a little over 8k... We AVERAGED 25k this year. So if both teams are on the fence I promise you JMU gets the bid.

Bearkat-Backer
November 15th, 2011, 09:56 AM
All possible teams have put in bids and I bet that JMU has put up MUCH MORE money than UCA. You're stadium only holds a little over 8k... We AVERAGED 25k this year. So if both teams are on the fence I promise you JMU gets the bid.

So you don't have to be the best team you just have to have the most money? I think I am starting to get it.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM
There's kind of a double standard going on here regarding the JMU backers comparing to UCA.The argument that UCA hasn't beaten anyone good in their conference is also true for JMU. JMU's signature win is a Big South team, a conference that is worse than the one that UCA ran through unblemished with the exception of the #2 team in the country.

It always appeared to me, and I may be wrong, that the committee doesn't hold FBS losses against team. They'll use FBS wins as justification for a bid but an FBS loss doesn't hurt. So take out non-D1 games and FBS games and you've got 7-1 UCA against 7-3 JMU. JMU had 3 chances to get it done against 3 lesser teams than the one UCA lost to and couldn't get it done. The "official" criteria (and I use that word loosely cuz I don't believe for a second that this is all they use) is win-loss record, strength of schedule, and quality of wins. JMU has the edge in strength of schedule, UCA has the edge in win-loss record, and quality of wins is a push if you ask me. I have UCA in and JMU out based on those factors.

I also believe that Indiana St and Youngstown St are ahead of JMU at this point but that's another story altogether.

JMU2004
November 15th, 2011, 10:00 AM
So you don't have to be the best team you just have to have the most money? I think I am starting to get it.

UCA has ZERO quality wins. If anything, that is what will keep you out.

danefan
November 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM

Take a read through the Championship Handbook:

I'm sure you'll notice a theme.

Plus, if I was a UCA supporter I don't know if I'd be arguing that UCA is a better team than JMU. Not sure there is anything UCA has done to differentiate themselves from JMU if JMU beats UMass. Not saying JMU is the clear cut favorite in that argument either.

danefan
November 15th, 2011, 10:03 AM
There's kind of a double standard going on here regarding the JMU backers comparing to UCA.The argument that UCA hasn't beaten anyone good in their conference is also true for JMU. JMU's signature win is a Big South team, a conference that is worse than the one that UCA ran through unblemished with the exception of the #2 team in the country.

It always appeared to me, and I may be wrong, that the committee doesn't hold FBS losses against team. They'll use FBS wins as justification for a bid but an FBS loss doesn't hurt. So take out non-D1 games and FBS games and you've got 7-1 UCA against 7-3 JMU. JMU had 3 chances to get it done against 3 lesser teams than the one UCA lost to and couldn't get it done. The "official" criteria (and I use that word loosely cuz I don't believe for a second that this is all they use) is win-loss record, strength of schedule, and quality of wins. JMU has the edge in strength of schedule, UCA has the edge in win-loss record, and quality of wins is a push if you ask me. I have UCA in and JMU out based on those factors.

I also believe that Indiana St and Youngstown St are ahead of JMU at this point but that's another story altogether.

That's valid reasoning for UCA to get a bid, but once again, its a far cry from saying UCA is a lock.

I can make a similar argument in favor of YSU, JMU and ISU all in front of UCA, but who knows what the Committee will do.

Professor Chaos
November 15th, 2011, 10:05 AM
That's valid reasoning for UCA to get a bid, but once again, its a far cry from saying UCA is a lock.

I can make a similar argument in favor of YSU, JMU and ISU all in front of UCA, but who knows what the Committee will do.
Agreed, there is very little differentiation between those 4 and if ISU-R loses they'll get thrown into this mix as well. There's only 3 bids available for those 5 teams. The only certainty is that someone will feel as though they got snubbed.

Bearkat-Backer
November 15th, 2011, 10:06 AM
UCA has ZERO quality wins. If anything, that is what will keep you out.

I did not claim that they did. The post I was responding to implied that if both teams where on the fence that the money would be the deciding factor.

danefan
November 15th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I did not claim that they did. The post I was responding to implied that if both teams where on the fence that the money would be the deciding factor.

If they're both on the fence that means their even in terms of strength. What else would the committee use to make a determination other than what makes the most financial sense and what looks the best on ESPN.

Sorry - your field is kinda cool, but it doesn't compare to this:

http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/OW/OWUKWANSKELLEJI.20110911030059.jpg

jmu_duke07
November 15th, 2011, 10:20 AM

i never said that, please read my post. i stated that if both were considered "even" then JMU would have to have the edge due to it's bid. if it's ok for money to determine who has homefield advantage then i'm sure it's ok for it to be a deciding factor when everything else seems even.

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I've read on here plenty of times, that the committee doesn't even know what the bids are until they select the teams and pair them. Now if you're saying the committee will definitely award JMU a bid based on their potential for revenue; I'd argue that didn't work for Montana last year.

I think winning streaks can heavily influence the committee, just like in basketball and on the Division II level. That's why I think UCA is in (right now), and why BCU can't be ruled out yet.

danefan
November 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I've read on here plenty of times, that the committee doesn't even know what the bids are until they select the teams and pair them. Now if you're saying the committee will definitely award JMU a bid based on their potential for revenue; I'd argue that didn't work for Montana last year.

I think winning streaks can heavily influence the committee, just like in basketball and on the Division II level. That's why I think UCA is in (right now), and why BCU can't be ruled out yet.

Montana is an apples to oranges comparison. They only had 6 DI wins.

The Commitee doesn't need to open the bids to know that JMU bid more. We all know right now they bid more.

jmu_duke07
November 15th, 2011, 10:35 AM

The Commitee doesn't need to open the bids to know that JMU bid more. We all know right now they bid more.

This.

Also to add, the beat writer in Harrisonburg said that officials do look at returning players being a factor. we are undefeated with our starting QB in 1-AA games. Now, is that different when it comes to players who are returning for injuries rather than violations? I have no clue...

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM

The committee still had an out to include Montana in last year's playoffs, and they didn't. If money is a primary motivating factor for selecting teams, they would have selected them. I don't think that it is. I'm much more concerned about the JMU guy on the committee influencing his pals, even without a vote, than them choosing teams based on a possible high bid.

And like I said, I don't think they will ignore a winning streak like that.

BEAR
November 15th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Once again. UCA is not a lock.

Not having EVER been to an FCS playoffs, the average UCA fan doesn't know that the bids have to be in beforehand...I was one of them. I wasn't implying our "bid" was going to sway the selection or make it a lock.

Let's all calm down 11 pages into this thread and wait until Sunday. xlolx

jmu_duke07
November 15th, 2011, 10:39 AM
The committee still had an out to include Montana in last year's playoffs, and they didn't. If money is a primary motivating factor for selecting teams, they would have selected them. I don't think that it is. I'm much more concerned about the JMU guy on the committee influencing his pals, even without a vote, than them choosing teams based on a possible high bid.

And like I said, I don't think they will ignore a winning streak like that.

JMU and Montana were looked at heavily last year but because they only had 6 D1 wins they had no reason to accept either. What danefan said... Apples to Oranges. What we are looking at is (2) 7 D-1 win teams.

jmu_duke07
November 15th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Once again. UCA is not a lock.

Not having EVER been to an FCS playoffs, the average UCA fan doesn't know that the bids have to be in beforehand...I was one of them. I wasn't implying our "bid" was going to sway the selection or make it a lock.

Let's all calm down 11 pages into this thread and wait until Sunday. xlolx

But this is WHY we have message boards... To discuss it. Hell, maybe the officials look on here. Your argument COULD play in their mindset! LOL

WileECoyote06
November 15th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Okay since yall obviously don't want to entertain the argument against money being a motivating factor. Then I'll stick with seven DI FCS wins in a row. The committee isn't going to ignore that accomplishment. They are just as likely to knock Illinois State out for JMU.

Bearkat-Backer
November 15th, 2011, 10:49 AM
This.

Also to add, the beat writer in Harrisonburg said that officials do look at returning players being a factor. we are undefeated with our starting QB in 1-AA games. Now, is that different when it comes to players who are returning for injuries rather than violations? I have no clue...

Then you have to consider the fact that UCA's starting QB was knocked out of the SHSU game in the 2nd quarter and I think they were missing a few defensive starters as well. When their starting QB play more than 1.5 quarters they are undefeated against 1-AA teams as well.

Also, I am not saying UCA is a lock. I am just discussing the different possibilities.

Bearkat-Backer
November 15th, 2011, 10:50 AM
But this is WHY we have message boards... To discuss it. Hell, maybe the officials look on here. Your argument COULD play in their mindset! LOL

Scary thought!

McNeese72
November 15th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Take a read through the Championship Handbook:

I'm sure you'll notice a theme.

Plus, if I was a UCA supporter I don't know if I'd be arguing that UCA is a better team than JMU. Not sure there is anything UCA has done to differentiate themselves from JMU if JMU beats UMass. Not saying JMU is the clear cut favorite in that argument either.

The money, facilities, crowd environment, etc. only come into play for consideration of home games and are not part of the selection criteria for at large bids.

This is the at large criteria:

Selection Criteria
[Reference: Bylaws 31.01.2, 31.01.3 and 31.3 in the NCAA Manual.]
At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I football committee, assisted by four
regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to
complete the bracket. Per NCAA Bylaw 31, the basic criteria used in the selection
of at-large participants are (1) won-lost record, (2) strength-of-schedule, and (3)
eligibility and availability of student-athletes for the NCAA championship;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of
not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
Division I opponents; and
5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote
for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.
6. For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it,
a guaranteed at-large position shall be awarded in any year in which its conference
champion team meets all of the following conditions:
a. Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;
b. Team wins a minimum of two non-conference games against Division I teams
representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year;
and
c. Team finishes the season ranked 20 or higher in an average of the last regularseason
media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by
the committee on an annual basis). For 2011, the media poll will be the Sports
Network Poll, the coaches poll will be the FCS Coaches poll and the computer
poll will be a variation of the Gridiron Power Index – using only the following
computer rankings: The Massey Ratings, Wolfe Rankings, Ashburn Rankings,
Self Rankings and the Laz Index.
[See Appendix B (page 43) for a map of the geographical regions.]

Doc

MplsBison
November 15th, 2011, 12:14 PM
The money, facilities, crowd environment, etc. only come into play for consideration of home games and are not part of the selection criteria for at large bids.

This is the at large criteria:

Selection Criteria
[Reference: Bylaws 31.01.2, 31.01.3 and 31.3 in the NCAA Manual.]
At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I football committee, assisted by four
regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to
complete the bracket. Per NCAA Bylaw 31, the basic criteria used in the selection
of at-large participants are (1) won-lost record, (2) strength-of-schedule, and (3)
eligibility and availability of student-athletes for the NCAA championship;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of
not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
Division I opponents; and
5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote
for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.
6. For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it,
a guaranteed at-large position shall be awarded in any year in which its conference
champion team meets all of the following conditions:
a. Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;
b. Team wins a minimum of two non-conference games against Division I teams
representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year;
and
c. Team finishes the season ranked 20 or higher in an average of the last regularseason
media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by
the committee on an annual basis). For 2011, the media poll will be the Sports
Network Poll, the coaches poll will be the FCS Coaches poll and the computer
poll will be a variation of the Gridiron Power Index – using only the following
computer rankings: The Massey Ratings, Wolfe Rankings, Ashburn Rankings,
Self Rankings and the Laz Index.
[See Appendix B (page 43) for a map of the geographical regions.]

Doc

RIIIIIIIIIGHT......WINK WINK.....WINK.....WINK.....

Yep, no doubt that the fact JMU would make more money for the NCAA than any other 7-win at large team by a longshot will have zero influence on their selection to the playoff field. WINK

Not saying they should be the first team picked, but if it was a choice between JMU and UCA - easily give it to JMU.

McNeese75
November 15th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Read my posts over. I've never said UCA won't get in.

All I've ever said is that no one from a mid-tier conference with 7 very mediocre DI wins should be so confident, especially considering you don't even know who you're being compared to yet.
m
I hope UCA gets in. If not this place is going to burn down.......

I doubt anything will burn if they dont get in . I think they are in but not sure how far they go because their D is not all that. The SHSU D however is a whole different animal

tingly
November 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Bringing in money as criteria is something that can put the members of the committee in legal hot water and hurt their careers. It has never happened and it won't happen.

JmuSkinsfan
November 15th, 2011, 05:51 PM
a "blind poll" was done over on the CAA Zone JMU board between Team A and Team B ... with the Sagarins matched up for each team's "best win", "worst loss", "Average rank of wins" and "Average rank of losses" and number of DI wins ...

Team A got 42 votes
Team B got 4 votes

Team A
Division I wins: 7
Best win: vs. #95
Worst loss: at #105
Average ranking of wins: #158
Average ranking of losses: #63

Team B
Best win: vs. #163
Worst loss: at #80
Average ranking of wins: #191
Average ranking of losses: #66

Team A was Indiana State and Team B was Central Arkansas, revealed after the poll was voted on.

FYI, Central Arkansas' statistics are quite pathetic ... they may not even deserve to be in the conversation ... down with the 7 DI win MEAC teams.

McNeese75
November 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM
a "blind poll" was done over on the CAA Zone JMU board between Team A and Team B ... with the Sagarins matched up for each team's "best win", "worst loss", "Average rank of wins" and "Average rank of losses" and number of DI wins ...

Team A got 42 votes
Team B got 4 votes

Team A

Team B

Team A was Indiana State and Team B was Central Arkansas, revealed after the poll was voted on.

FYI, Central Arkansas' statistics are quite pathetic ... they may not even deserve to be in the conversation ... down with the 7 DI win MEAC teams.

Yep, sounds pretty blind and impartial to me

MplsBison
November 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Team A got 42 votes
Team B got 4 votes

Team A

Team B

Agreed!

UCA should be one of the last ones in and that's after all three of the 7 win MVFC teams are taken (assuming IL St loses to UNI) and any 7 win/eligible CAA teams.

asumike83
November 15th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Agreed!

UCA should be one of the last ones in and that's after all three of the 7 win MVFC teams are taken (assuming IL St loses to UNI) and any 7 win/eligible CAA teams.

You are expecting all three 7-win MVFC teams to get in? That would put the conference at 5 bids. The MVFC is good but not 25% of the playoff field good. I would think NDSU, UNI and YSU get bids, while Indiana State needs some outside help.

Without a win this weekend, Illinois State has no business in the postseason. Their best win is a 3-point home victory over Indiana State and a loss to UNI would mean 4 FCS losses, one of which was to the last place team in the OVC.

Cincy App
November 15th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Without a win this weekend, Illinois State has no business in the postseason. Their best win is a 3-point home victory over Indiana State and a loss to UNI would mean 4 FCS losses, one of which was to the last place team in the OVC.

I agree with the above statement. Illinois State is clearly in with a win this Saturday. With a loss, ISUr would be the only team in contention that has 4 FCS losses - and one of them being the OVC cellar dweller.

Dallas Demon
November 16th, 2011, 12:42 AM
JMU vs. UCA?

JMU "quality" wins so far:

Central Connecticut St. (3-7)
Liberty (7-3)
W&M (4-6)
Richmond (3-7)
Villanova (2-8)
Rhode Island (3-7)

UCA:

SFA (5-5) and Northwestern St. (5-5) - 1 will have a winning record this Saturday
McNeese St. (5-5), highly likely to have a winning record this Saturday
TxSt (6-5), transitional FBS team

So 3 of the 4 teams above will have winning records, and this includes multiple losses against FBS teams - otherwise the records would be even better for these teams.

Then there's 4 losses for JMU vs. 3 for UCA. JMU would be the 5th team in from one conference vs. the 2nd from another conference (the hosting conference for the championship). UCA has a 7 game FCS winning streak. UCA has 8 wins. UCA's only losses were to a top 2 FCS team and two FBS teams, one a likely conference champion and another close to being the conference champion that has beaten some noteworthy opponents.

No matter how you spin it here, it just ain't adding up for JMU over UCA.

UNH Fanboi
November 16th, 2011, 01:01 AM
JMU vs. UCA?

JMU "quality" wins so far:

Central Connecticut St. (3-7)
Liberty (7-3)
W&M (4-6)
Richmond (3-7)
Villanova (2-8)
Rhode Island (3-7)

UCA:

SFA (5-5) and Northwestern St. (5-5) - 1 will have a winning record this Saturday
McNeese St. (5-5), highly likely to have a winning record this Saturday
TxSt (6-5), transitional FBS team

So 3 of the 4 teams above will have winning records, and this includes multiple losses against FBS teams - otherwise the records would be even better for these teams.

Then there's 4 losses for JMU vs. 3 for UCA. JMU would be the 5th team in from one conference vs. the 2nd from another conference (the hosting conference for the championship). UCA has a 7 game FCS winning streak. UCA has 8 wins. UCA's only losses were to a top 2 FCS team and two FBS teams, one a likely conference champion and another close to being the conference champion that has beaten some noteworthy opponents.

Quality of wins cannot be measured purely by win-loss records. Would a win over a 10-0 high school team be better than a win over the 0-10 Indianapolis Colts? SFA and McNeese are no better than W&M and Richmond, regardless of their win-loss records. If win-loss records were such an accurate proxy for the strength of a team, than SFA should have beaten Villanova handily last year. We know how that turned out.

MplsBison
November 16th, 2011, 08:11 AM
You are expecting all three 7-win MVFC teams to get in? That would put the conference at 5 bids. The MVFC is good but not 25% of the playoff field good. I would think NDSU, UNI and YSU get bids, while Indiana State needs some outside help.

If the CAA can get 5 teams in when the pool was 16, the MVFC more than deserves 5 teams out of 20.

This year the MVFC has 5 teams that will win playoff games.

JMU2004
November 16th, 2011, 08:13 AM
the relative strength of the CAA and Southland are shown consistenly in the playoffs.

Sorry, but using win/loss records from a weak conference proves nothing. Most of the lower teams in the CAA have lost b/t 4-5 games to Playoff teams. Heck, JMU lost 3 games to playoff teams. In the Southland, there is only ONE sure playoff team. The rest are fairly weak.

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 08:40 AM
If the CAA can get 5 teams in when the pool was 16, the MVFC more than deserves 5 teams out of 20.

This year the MVFC has 5 teams that will win playoff games.

The MVFC is very good at the top but I'm not sold on the 2nd tier of teams in that conference.

Without an upset of UNI, I don't think that Illinois State has done anything to merit a bid. A loss would give them 3 conference losses along with one to an awful 2-9 Eastern Illinois team. With 4 FCS losses and no marquee wins, they really have no argument. I think YSU's win over NDSU makes them a lock if they get to 7 wins and Indiana State has a shot, but I think they need some outside help.

We all love our own conferences but 5 teams that will win playoff games? Come on. No conference has ever done that.

Dallas Demon
November 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Quality of wins cannot be measured purely by win-loss records. Would a win over a 10-0 high school team be better than a win over the 0-10 Indianapolis Colts? SFA and McNeese are no better than W&M and Richmond, regardless of their win-loss records. If win-loss records were such an accurate proxy for the strength of a team, than SFA should have beaten Villanova handily last year. We know how that turned out.

Sorry, I'm not buying it, and neither will the committee. You're saying that a 6-5 Southland team, with 2 FBS losses, is not as good as a 2-9 or 3-8 or 4-7 CAA team who typically hasn't played a FBS team. Why not just have a CAA playoff with the Southern Conference, everyone else is too weak to have token slots in the tourney. Good luck with that, the SWAC Conference has certainly had success with that model.

JMU2004
November 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Sorry, I'm not buying it, and neither will the committee. You're saying that a 6-5 Southland team, with 2 FBS losses, is not as good as a 2-9 or 3-8 or 4-7 CAA team who typically hasn't played a FBS team. Why not just have a CAA playoff with the Southern Conference, everyone else is too weak to have token slots in the tourney. Good luck with that, the SWAC Conference has certainly had success with that model.

You need to buy it....UR has gone winless in the CAA, yet owns a BCS win. Name one other conference where that would/could happen......

JmuSkinsfan
November 16th, 2011, 09:41 AM

Umm ... yes ... and almost every CAA team has played an ACC/Big East team this year. Villanova played Temple. Rhode Island played Syracuse. JMU played UNC. Towson played Maryland. William and Mary played UVA. Richmond beat Duke (and Duke would stomp a Sunbelt team, even as bad as they are). Those teams would take Sunbelt teams behind the woodshed and do unsightly things to them.

Demons_00
November 16th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I don't think Duke(3-7), Temple(6-4), and Maryland(2-8) would take any of the FBS teams the Southland has been playing behind the woodshed. UCA lost to (6-4)LA Tech in OT who just beat Ole Miss and Arkansas St(8-2), the likely SunBelt champs who only lost to Illinois and VT. The Southland only played two teams from the Sunbelt, the 1st and 3rd place team. They played teams from the SEC, Big X, CUSA, Mountain West, MAC, WAC, and Sunbelt who have a combined record of 63-48. And also half of the Southland schools played 2 FBS opponents this season.

Dallas Demon
November 16th, 2011, 11:15 AM
You need to buy it....UR has gone winless in the CAA, yet owns a BCS win. Name one other conference where that would/could happen......

Not buying it. I will buy that you guys on this forum don't have a confidence problem - nothing wrong with that I guess.

BEAR
November 16th, 2011, 11:18 AM
CONWAY, Ark. _ One more game on “The Stripes?” Possibly.

The school’s first NCAA Division I FCS Playoff bid? Probably.

The University of Central Arkansas Bears will learn their postseason fate on Sunday morning during a watch party at the Farris Center.

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2011/11/15/FB_1115114710.aspx

http://www.ucasports.com/images/2011/11/15/rp_primary_FB_PLAYOFF_GRAPHIC_WEB.jpg

JMU2004
November 16th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Not buying it. I will buy that you guys on this forum don't have a confidence problem - nothing wrong with that I guess.

Confident that the CAA is historically the hardest conference in FCS? Sure.....

Confident that the CAA is a better conference than the Southland? Yep

Confident that UCA is in? Not yet....

Confident that JMU gets in? No....but if JMU and Liberty win this weekend, tied with a Wofford loss, my confidence would sky rocket. Lots of football to be played yet.

JMU2004
November 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.ucasports.com/news/2011/11/15/FB_1115114710.aspx

http://www.ucasports.com/images/2011/11/15/rp_primary_FB_PLAYOFF_GRAPHIC_WEB.jpg

damn, the SLC commish and the UCA AD are really jinxing themselves!

RabidRabbit
November 16th, 2011, 11:40 AM

Bids have zero bearing on the selection to be in the play-offs. ONly bearing that bids have is who hosts games, after seeding is done. Does anyone know if bids influence pairings, so that the the NCAA can maximize $$? I suspect the answer is that it is a third, and very subservant criteria after proximity and not matching up conferences in first games.

joecooll6
November 16th, 2011, 11:59 AM
damn, the SLC commish and the UCA AD are really jinxing themselves!

The way they've been handling this they're either A.) Trying to influence the committee or B.)Know something we don't know.

asumike83
November 16th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Confident that the CAA is historically the hardest conference in FCS? Sure.....

Well, that depends on how you define historically. The CAA has certainly been the toughest conference in recent years.

danefan
November 16th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Bids have zero bearing on the selection to be in the play-offs. ONly bearing that bids have is who hosts games, after seeding is done. Does anyone know if bids influence pairings, so that the the NCAA can maximize $$? I suspect the answer is that it is a third, and very subservant criteria after proximity and not matching up conferences in first games.

I agree that the committee does not use bids to determine at-larges "officially".

You guys are naive if you don't think that it plays a part if all other things are equal. Not the bids per say, but the history and drawing power definitely play an unofficial part.

Dallas Demon
November 16th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I agree that the committee does not use bids to determine at-larges "officially".

You guys are naive if you don't think that it plays a part if all other things are equal. Not the bids per say, but the history and drawing power definitely play an unofficial part.

I agree with this. There is probably much more that goes on behind the scenes that we will never know about "officially".

Pitz
November 16th, 2011, 02:39 PM

Would a visual help?

http://www.dreamvisionhome.com/files/fcs_sagarin_conf.jpg

Without bragging about your losses, tell me how a 7 DI-win team from the Southland gets in over any 7 DI-win team from the MVFC, SoCon, Big Sky or CAA? The quality of the Southland is closer to the MEAC than it is to any of the Big 4 conferences.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 02:45 PM
UCA got screwed out of the SLC championship and the playoffs a few years ago when they rightfully deserved it. If they get screwed out of it again I bet they want to go back to DII

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Would a visual help?

Without bragging about your losses, tell me how a 7 DI-win team from the Southland gets in over any 7 DI-win team from the MVFC, SoCon, Big Sky or CAA? The quality of the Southland is closer to the MEAC than it is to any of the Big 4 conferences.

You mean the Great West is better than the CAA? Really?

Pitz
November 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM

Not really a surprise. Southern Utah and Cal Poly would be right in the at-large discussion with 7 DI wins.

FargoBison
November 16th, 2011, 02:54 PM

Just ignore that, five team league and all the non-DI games GWFC teams played make their rating an anomaly.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Just ignore that, five team league and all the non-DI games GWFC teams played make their rating an anomaly.

That's what i thought...

Bearkat-Backer
November 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Would a visual help?

the bid is not for the conferences it is for the team. JMU's SOS ranked 30th and UCA's is 34th. that is pretty close.

danefan
November 16th, 2011, 03:13 PM
the bid is not for the conferences it is for the team. JMU's SOS ranked 30th and UCA's is 34th. that is pretty close.

The problem with UCA is that they have nothing besides win over their conference mates to hang their hats on. JMU has the same problem (except Liberty) but in JMU's case, their conference wins can be argued to be stronger than UCAs.

Bearkat-Backer
November 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM
The problem with UCA is that they have nothing besides win over their conference mates to hang their hats on. JMU has the same problem (except Liberty) but in JMU's case, their conference wins can be argued to be stronger than UCAs.

I was jut pointing out that using the conference Saragin rating as "proof" is weak.

danefan
November 16th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I was jut pointing out that using the conference Saragin rating as "proof" is weak.

Yeah - I agree, but unfortunately how else can you really rank conferences that don't have any head-to-heads?

jmufan999
November 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM

And this is what we are hanging our hats on.

I agree with JMUSkinsFan (I think that's who said this): If Liberty and Chatty win, my confidence will be through the roof. If either loses, I think we could easily be left out. Either way, I think we're ahead in the pecking order before UCA. Just my opinion. This is all assuming JMU wins, which is only for the sake of this discussion. No guarantee that JMU ends up 7-4.

BEAR
November 16th, 2011, 03:56 PM
UCA got screwed out of the SLC championship and the playoffs a few years ago when they rightfully deserved it. If they get screwed out of it again I bet they want to go back to DII

Sorry Rev, but the BEARS are here to stay. xlolx That is until we get the invite to the WAC....oh wait....that probably won't be around by then. xlolx

darell1976
November 16th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Sorry Rev, but the BEARS are here to stay. xlolx That is until we get the invite to the WAC....oh wait....that probably won't be around by then. xlolx

I don't think anyone wants to go to the WAC especially whats left of it.

darell1976
November 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM

They only had 4 out of the 5 teams ranked at one time or another this season (only UC Davis wasn't ranked this year).;)

Dallas Demon
November 16th, 2011, 11:03 PM

Since the comparison is the CAA against the SLC - mostly from a previous year (SFA's loss against Villanova) - how do you explain McNeese's win over National Champion Applalachain St. in Boone in 2009? These high school teams in this area apparently are pretty good...

Dallas Demon
November 16th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Would a visual help?

It's simple. UCA will get in because the committee will vote it in. A CAA team, with multiple FCS losses, might be able to battle a MVC team, with multiple FCS losses, for the final at-large playoff slot. A separate thread should be started with this argument if it hasn't already.

UNH Fanboi
November 17th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Since the comparison is the CAA against the SLC - mostly from a previous year (SFA's loss against Villanova) - how do you explain McNeese's win over National Champion Applalachain St. in Boone in 2009? These high school teams in this area apparently are pretty good...

Do you really want to go to 2009? UNH (the 4th pace CAA team) beat McNeese 49-13 at their place.

eaglesrthe1
November 17th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I would be a little worried if the top item on my resume was "look at who I lost to".

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I would be a little worried if the top item on my resume was "look at who I lost to".

If Liberty loses to Stony Brook, that would be the argument for both JMU and UCA. xlolx

MplsBison
November 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM
It's simple. UCA will get in because the committee will vote it in. A CAA team, with multiple FCS losses, might be able to battle a MVC team, with multiple FCS losses, for the final at-large playoff slot. A separate thread should be started with this argument if it hasn't already.

If the committee has to pick between UCA and JMU - sorry but the Dukes get it.

They look better on TV and will make the NCAA more money hosting than UCA does.

McNeese72
November 17th, 2011, 11:06 AM
They only had 4 out of the 5 teams ranked at one time or another this season (only UC Davis wasn't ranked this year).;)

I got a question being you are a North Dakota fan. How in the hell did you guys almost lose to the University of Sioux Falls? I mean kicking a FG as time expires???

We beat them 31-17 early in the season. Of course, that was before we had to bring in a M.A.S.H. unit for all our injured playerrs and our season sunk like a rock.

Doc

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM
If the committee has to pick between UCA and JMU - sorry but the Dukes get it.

They look better on TV and will make the NCAA more money hosting than UCA does.

Do you think the NCAA would really give up a chance to show that purple and gray field if they could? JMU doesn't win the TV argument.

danefan
November 17th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Do you think the NCAA would really give up a chance to show that purple and gray field if they could? JMU doesn't win the TV argument.

Uhhh...no one in the FCS wins against JMU.

jmu_duke07
November 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2011, 11:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0

butthole. .xlolx

MplsBison
November 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM

I forgot about UCA's field --- another obvious strike against UCA getting the at large. And if they do, for certain they will not host.

JMU is a program that FCS actually wants to show off. You know, put your best foot forward. If the FCS is going to be on national TV then I sure as heck do not want some 8k stadium to be the host. Makes us look like the DII/DIII that most think we are.

BEAR
November 17th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I forgot about UCA's field --- another obvious strike against UCA getting the at large. And if they do, for certain they will not host.

JMU is a program that FCS actually wants to show off. You know, put your best foot forward. If the FCS is going to be on national TV then I sure as heck do not want some 8k stadium to be the host. Makes us look like the DII/DIII that most think we are.

Remember your words if UCA gets in. xlolx

WileECoyote06
November 17th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Remember your words if UCA gets in. xlolx

A school making its first appearance in the playoffs after transitioning from Division II isn't a story at all. It sure isn't. It doesn't show how the playoff system improves access for all schools unlike the FBS system. xlolx

BEAR
November 17th, 2011, 05:01 PM

How many years have schools like JMU been in Division I? 2nd year for UCA. Give the university some time to build up facilities...oh, yeah, that's why we HaVE to play those money games early in our existence in division I. Unlike most FCS schools with 15k + stadiums that are empty on national tv, ours is typically full. Not bad for a town of 50k to get 10k in the stands. But just in case, let's hope the visiting team brings 10k...that'll solve the problem. sigh. xlolx

MplsBison
November 17th, 2011, 05:57 PM
How many years have schools like JMU been in Division I? 2nd year for UCA. Give the university some time to build up facilities...oh, yeah, that's why we HaVE to play those money games early in our existence in division I. Unlike most FCS schools with 15k + stadiums that are empty on national tv, ours is typically full. Not bad for a town of 50k to get 10k in the stands. But just in case, let's hope the visiting team brings 10k...that'll solve the problem. sigh. xlolx

So...your argument is that the NCAA should wait 5-10 years to give UCA time to get good and ready for the playoffs? Sounds fine to me.

DMo_JMU
November 17th, 2011, 06:44 PM

JMU's stadium holds 25k and that's how many we average. It certainly won't be empty on national tv, even on Thanksgiving weekend, and the committee knows that.

BEAR
November 17th, 2011, 09:26 PM
So...your argument is that the NCAA should wait 5-10 years to give UCA time to get good and ready for the playoffs? Sounds fine to me.

Why don't you ask my fellow SLC brethren if UCA is ready for the playoffs. UCA has been in the SLC title hunt nearly every year since transitioning from DII. Most SLC teams can't say even that. As for facilities, if you're not a pig fan in Arkansas, don't expect a large crowd or $ from donors. LSU strangleholds Louisiana schools the same way. In states where FCS schools are the primary benefactors of football hungry fans, it's easier to say that. I can't think of an FBS school in either of the Dakotas..if there are, I've never heard of them. I can imagine the Dakota schools would have a hard time fighting for fans, cash and media attention against SEC schools. Different story down here.

TheRevSFA
November 18th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Why don't you ask my fellow SLC brethren if UCA is ready for the playoffs. UCA has been in the SLC title hunt nearly every year since transitioning from DII. Most SLC teams can't say even that. As for facilities, if you're not a pig fan in Arkansas, don't expect a large crowd or $ from donors. LSU strangleholds Louisiana schools the same way. In states where FCS schools are the primary benefactors of football hungry fans, it's easier to say that. I can't think of an FBS school in either of the Dakotas..if there are, I've never heard of them. I can imagine the Dakota schools would have a hard time fighting for fans, cash and media attention against SEC schools. Different story down here.

UCA also got screwed in 2008 when they ran the table in the SLC.

But it's okay...we won the 2009 and 2010 titles for you :D

JMU_71
November 18th, 2011, 07:33 AM
For JMU to get in the tournament I think that Ill. St. has to lose to UNI, Liberty has to beat Stony Brook, Furman loses to Florida, and it would certainly help if Wofford lost to Chatty.

My $.02

MplsBison
November 18th, 2011, 08:23 AM

Yep, no doubt Va Tech, Virginia, WV, Maryland, etc make it nearly impossible for JMU to get the support they need to even have a chance to build impressive facilities.

Meanwhile in Arkansas, the state where it's impossible to build good facilities if you're not the U of A:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/bremertonian/football/ASUIndianStadium1.jpg

BEAR
November 18th, 2011, 09:17 AM
edit. xlolx

TheRevSFA
November 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Yep, no doubt Va Tech, Virginia, WV, Maryland, etc make it nearly impossible for JMU to get the support they need to even have a chance to build impressive facilities.

Meanwhile in Arkansas, the state where it's impossible to build good facilities if you're not the U of A:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/bremertonian/football/ASUIndianStadium1.jpg

That's stAte's stadium, right?

Dallas Demon
November 18th, 2011, 10:41 AM
That's stAte's stadium, right?

Right, that is Arkansas St's stadium. The Bison was taking a swipe at the Bear trying to point out that at least one other school in Arkansas has a decent football stadium...

JMUDukes20
November 18th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Not bad for a town of 50k to get 10k in the stands.

Harrisonburg, VA population is 50k
JMU draws 25k, and we are an hour away from UVA and a couple from VT. Sorry, you are not impressing me.

BEAR
November 18th, 2011, 04:03 PM
JMU draws 25k, and we are an hour away from UVA and a couple from VT. Sorry, you are not impressing me.

Your argument appears to be that if all things are equal record-wise, that the NCAA will pick you because you have more money and better facilities. If that is the reason they pick JMU, then what's the point of the FCS? WHat's the point of playoffs if those teams that deserve to get in don't have a chance because another team can make more money for the NCAA? Might as well go to the bowl subdivision.

Well, even with all this banter, I'm going to enjoy the watch party at UCA and if UCA gets overlooked because we don't have enough money or enough facilities, then we'll have to change that..and we will. We have since our moves up from the NAIA to Division II and now Division I.

BEAR
November 18th, 2011, 04:10 PM

Population of Virgina- nearly 8 million.
Population of Arkansas- nearly 3 million.

Sorry, you're not impressing me either. Nearly 5 million more in population and you can only get 14k more per game to your stadium? For a stadium that holds 8500 that UCA has that is averaging over 10k, I'd call that impressive compared to JMUs. But what I think doesn't matter to the NCAA wallets. Sigh.

BEAR
November 18th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Right, that is Arkansas St's stadium. The Bison was taking a swipe at the Bear trying to point out that at least one other school in Arkansas has a decent football stadium...

Decent. Been there. No. It's not. It's a giant stainless steel metal heat reflector with crumbling concrete that hasn't been upgraded in decades. Horrible facilities for fans and as I learned on our painful trip there, they tailgate all around the stadium and only enter it at kickoff. It's horrible and ASU deserves better...as much as I dislike them, I respect their fans for putting up with the state of Arkansas feeding the pig in NWA. Please, no-one ever say ASU has a nice stadium. Even their fans are embarrased. xlolx (yes, insert striped field joke here in rebuttal)

Dallas Demon
November 18th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Decent. Been there. No. It's not. It's a giant stainless steel metal heat reflector with crumbling concrete that hasn't been upgraded in decades. Horrible facilities for fans and as I learned on our painful trip there, they tailgate all around the stadium and only enter it at kickoff. It's horrible and ASU deserves better...as much as I dislike them, I respect their fans for putting up with the state of Arkansas feeding the pig in NWA. Please, no-one ever say ASU has a nice stadium. Even their fans are embarrased. xlolx (yes, insert striped field joke here in rebuttal)

Ha! Haven't been to a game in Jonesboro, so I don't know. I'm actually surprised that the area would be able to pack a 31K stadium. I guess Jonesboro is close to Memphis and they were playing Memphis for this game, so that makes sense.

Dallas Demon
November 18th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Your argument appears to be that if all things are equal record-wise, that the NCAA will pick you because you have more money and better facilities. If that is the reason they pick JMU, then what's the point of the FCS? WHat's the point of playoffs if those teams that deserve to get in don't have a chance because another team can make more money for the NCAA? Might as well go to the bowl subdivision.

Well, even with all this banter, I'm going to enjoy the watch party at UCA and if UCA gets overlooked because we don't have enough money or enough facilities, then we'll have to change that..and we will. We have since our moves up from the NAIA to Division II and now Division I.

Don't let anyone on here spoil your fun. UCA is in, the watch party will be a blast. Although I'm sure there is some "behind the scenes" stuff that goes on for the selection committee, this is not like a committee from Mexico where people are paid off to select a team for the playoffs over another - at least I hope not! UCA "in" is a no-brainer, now for some of the other 7-4 teams who are the 5th team in a given conference to be considered I'd be a tad bit worried.

JMUDukes20
November 18th, 2011, 05:14 PM

That is not my argument, I am just pointing out that things you may consider impressive in reality are not.

My argument would be that JMU did not play a D2 opponent. That is listed as a thing the committee looks at.

Another thing the committee looks at is SOS, which again JMU wins, and no, playing 2 FBS opponents is not impressive no matter how close.

Another thing the committee looks at is key players missing. JMU has not lost an FCS game with its starting QB.

I also will not be offended if UCA is in the field, they met all criteria to be an at large and are a good team. I just think that the fact everyone says they are a lock to be in is crazy and that JMU with a win over UMass is every bit as good if not better than UCA.

Engineer86
November 18th, 2011, 05:18 PM
UCA at 8-3 just a little, and I mean little better resume than Georgetown at 8-3

Dallas Demon
November 18th, 2011, 07:07 PM
UCA at 8-3 just a little, and I mean little better resume than Georgetown at 8-3

Engineer, you have a flawed design...

Engineer86
November 18th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Engineer, you have a flawed design...

My view is based that Southland and Patriot League are not far apart. That said, Georgetown has no shot, but I do think that JMU's resume looks better the more I look at this.

BEAR
November 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
That is not my argument, I am just pointing out that things you may consider impressive in reality are not.

My argument would be that JMU did not play a D2 opponent. That is listed as a thing the committee looks at.

Another thing the committee looks at is SOS, which again JMU wins, and no, playing 2 FBS opponents is not impressive no matter how close.

Another thing the committee looks at is key players missing. JMU has not lost an FCS game with its starting QB.

I also will not be offended if UCA is in the field, they met all criteria to be an at large and are a good team. I just think that the fact everyone says they are a lock to be in is crazy and that JMU with a win over UMass is every bit as good if not better than UCA.

UCA hasn't lost an FCS game with it's starting QB in either. Nathan missed nearly 2 games this year. All of ASU and most of Sam Houston. Other than that he led UCA to a near upset of La Tech and won EVERY game he played in full time.

I agree they are not a lock, let's agree on that. SOS I have no idea since for some reason a D2 counts against you but playing 2.5 FBS teams doesn't count for you. xlolx I just hope JMU takes care of business and since JMU fans are the only ones commenting on this, I hope JMU AND UCA make the field. sound good?

BEAR
November 18th, 2011, 08:49 PM
My view is based that Southland and Patriot League are not far apart. That said, Georgetown has no shot, but I do think that JMU's resume looks better the more I look at this.

I think UCA will help raise the level of the Southland in the eyes of those who follow the FCS. No they can't do it alone, but I think the conference is stronger with the Bears in it.

GaSouthern
November 18th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Send 'em to the 'boro!

JMU2004
November 19th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Population of Virgina- nearly 8 million.
Population of Arkansas- nearly 3 million.

Sorry, you're not impressing me either. Nearly 5 million more in population and you can only get 14k more per game to your stadium? For a stadium that holds 8500 that UCA has that is averaging over 10k, I'd call that impressive compared to JMUs. But what I think doesn't matter to the NCAA wallets. Sigh.

There are also a ton of football programs in Va. VT, UVa, JMU, ODU, W&M, Liberty, Hampton, and NSU.

Not impressed by 25k+? Ha, ok.......

BEAR
November 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM
There are also a ton of football programs in Va. VT, UVa, JMU, ODU, W&M, Liberty, Hampton, and NSU.

Not impressed by 25k+? Ha, ok.......

There are a ton of deer in the woods here too. Something like 500,000 hunters hit the woods every saturday during hunting season. Add to that Duck season starting up. You may not understand that, but ask astAte fans how it affects their numbers for their "bowl" team. Heck, I was offered nearly 20 razorback tickets for free last weekend. (turned them ALL down of course xlolx) Different culture down here with a third of the population of Va...makes for a tough draw for any football team. Not being from here, I'm from Maine actually, I find it rather strange that a region like the South claims to be so dominant on football, has so many programs, (Arkansas with countless DIIs), yet abandons those programs to "git me a deer" after baiting them for months and knowing they will return to the same spot hungry for food. Then they use a high caliber gun with a high powered scope that can see a flea 500 yards away and they call it hunting. (shakes head in disbelief). Nothing against hunting, it's just not that interesting enough for me to abandon my team at the brink of a season long struggle to make the playoffs. I'll take the 11k who are hardcore fans over those who show up AFTER a pig game. xlolx

danefan
November 19th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Congrats UCS fans.
Looks like everything went your way today.

If Liberty wins, I wouldn't be surprised if we made a trip down to see you next weekend!

WrenFGun
November 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
UCA is in without a doubt, now, IMO. Indiana State/Youngstown really choked it away today.

DJKyR0
November 19th, 2011, 05:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XhCUb.gif

Dallas Demon
November 19th, 2011, 05:25 PM
In! xsmileyclapx