PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Southern Conference Power Rankings and Predictions - Week 12.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 12th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I was 1-3 this past week, pushing my overall record to 44-11. With one week to go until the playoffs, the heat is on for a couple of teams to get themselves in the playoffs. Based on what I have seen, here's what I have to this point. The numbers in parenthesis indicate the number of wins they need against DI teams to be considered for the playoffs.

1) Georgia Southern (Autobid) - Wins their first SoCon title in some time.
2) Appalachian State (IN) - Retains possession of the Jug for one more year.
3) Wofford (1 of 1) - Needs to win on the road to punch their ticket.
4) Furman (1 of 1) - Has some tough sledding down in the Swamp.
5) Chattanooga (Eliminated) - Can they get their revenge this week?
6) Samford (Eliminated) - Last second play was enough.
7) Elon (Eliminated) - Wonder what Shuman would say this week.
8) The Citadel (Eliminated) - Tough loss at home against Samford.
9) Western Carolina (Eliminated) - Wagner's still head coach?

Predictions
The Citadel 14 @ South Carolina 42 - Gamecocks too much for Bulldogs.
Samford 10 @ Auburn 41 - Tigers get back to their winning ways.
Furman 13 @ Florida 49 - Furman's undefeated vs. Florida? Not after this week.
Georgia Southern 24 @ Alabama 45 - Tide rolls in this one.
Coastal Carolina 35 @ Western Carolina 21 - Chanticleers end their season on a winning note.
Wofford 21 @ Chattanooga 24 (Upset Special) - Coleman's back and the Terriers are in trouble.
Appalachian State 42, Elon 28 - Mountaineers win in an effort to secure a first-round home game.

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Call me crazy, but Coleman hasn't played in how many weeks? you can't expect him to but phenomenal numbers up with so little reps.

catamount man
November 12th, 2011, 06:09 PM
attendance for ccu-wcu will be 2,000 max. I'll be there to watch, I hope, this staff's last game. Congrats again APP.

chattanoogamocs
November 12th, 2011, 06:16 PM
5) Samford (Eliminated) - Last second play was enough.
6) Chattanooga (Eliminated) - Can they get their revenge this week?

Last Saturday

Chattanooga 24
Samford 9

ElonPride
November 12th, 2011, 06:19 PM
7) The Citadel (Eliminated) - Tough loss at home against Samford.
8) Elon (Eliminated) - Wonder what Shuman would say this week.

Elon with more SoCon wins than El Cid, and has beaten El Cid, but you have Elon ranked lower?

CID1990
November 13th, 2011, 12:48 AM
7) The Citadel (Eliminated) - Tough loss at home against Samford.
8) Elon (Eliminated) - Wonder what Shuman would say this week.

Elon with more SoCon wins than El Cid, and has beaten El Cid, but you have Elon ranked lower?

It could be argued that El Cid's overall play and competitiveness has been a little better than Elon's, although I would give the nod to Elon because of the Furman win.

Both teams have been Jekyll and Hyde this season, so I think arguing over who should be next to last and who should be third from last is a little pointless. I think everyone can agree that WCU is the worst team in the SoCon, and the next 3 in line are upen to debate.

asumike83
November 13th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Georgia Southern 24 @ Alabama 45 - Tide rolls in this one.

I agree with your predictions for the most part, but I would be VERY surprised if GSU put up 24 in Tuscaloosa. That would be the most points scored against them this season. I'm honestly not sure the Eagles will get on the board against that Bama defense on Senior Day.

I will be pulling for Southern but that one could get ugly.

Baldy
November 13th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I agree with your predictions for the most part, but I would be VERY surprised if GSU put up 24 in Tuscaloosa. That would be the most points scored against them this season. I'm honestly not sure the Eagles will get on the board against that Bama defense on Senior Day.

Gotta agree with this. xnodx

seantaylor
November 13th, 2011, 02:54 AM
If GSU plays our starters the entire game, we will give Bama some serious trouble. This is an overrated team. ESPN is on the SEC nuts because of their contract, but Alabama hasn't beat really anyone this season.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Upon further review, 5 through 8 have been changed around.

5) Chattanooga (Eliminated) - Can they get their revenge this week?
6) Samford (Eliminated) - Last second play was enough.
7) Elon (Eliminated) - Wonder what Shuman would say this week.
8) The Citadel (Eliminated) - Tough loss at home against Samford.

It is a foregone conclusion that all parties agree to 1-4 and 9.

ElonPride
November 13th, 2011, 07:21 AM
It could be argued that El Cid's overall play and competitiveness has been a little better than Elon's, although I would give the nod to Elon because of the Furman win.

Both teams have been Jekyll and Hyde this season, so I think arguing over who should be next to last and who should be third from last is a little pointless. I think everyone can agree that WCU is the worst team in the SoCon, and the next 3 in line are upen to debate.

Agreed.

Thefootballfan
November 13th, 2011, 07:22 AM
GSU will give Alabama trouble? GSU couldnt even give App St trouble. Are you serious? Alabama is already ordering extra bulbs for the scoreboard.

blueballs
November 13th, 2011, 07:34 AM
GSU couldnt even give App St trouble. Are you serious?

That's pretty impressive... reaching troll status in just 7 posts.

gataeagles06
November 13th, 2011, 07:54 AM

That was my first thought as well. Don't get me wrong, if we put 24 on the board against that defense (who is not over rated, skins) I'll be happy as a pig in you know what!

asumike83
November 13th, 2011, 09:32 AM
That was my first thought as well. Don't get me wrong, if we put 24 on the board against that defense (who is not over rated, skins) I'll be happy as a pig in you know what!

No doubt, putting up even a couple of TD's against that defense would be an accomplishment for any FCS team. Nick Saban is a grade-A scumbag but man, that guy can recruit and coach some D.

eagle07
November 13th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I've heard through grapevine, don't know if it is true could be just rumors and feel free to shoot it down if you know. Any better. monken and saban have talked and agreed to both start second string to avoid any major injuries. I hope not but I really don't want to see any serious injuries going into the playoffs

Baldy
November 13th, 2011, 09:53 AM
If GSU plays our starters the entire game, we will give Bama some serious trouble. This is an overrated team. ESPN is on the SEC nuts because of their contract, but Alabama hasn't beat really anyone this season.
Dude, just STFU. Just when I thought you couldn't say anything more stupid, you say something like this. xlolx

asumike83
November 13th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Dude, just STFU. Just when I thought you couldn't say anything more stupid, you say something like this. xlolx

.... and TOTALLY redeem yourself!

http://img.listal.com/image/600692/600full-dumb-&-dumber-photo.jpg

AppChicago
November 13th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Well, I'll be pulling for all the SoCon teams playing SEC teams. We should call this week South by Southeast.

But yeah, to echo others' apprehensions, I don't think GSU scores 24. I think they score a few if they're lucky and Saban's pulled the starters, but if LSU puts 9 on the board with no TDs, GSU might be able to sneak in a score here and there, but won't score 24.

But rather than just critique, I'll throw my own take out there.
El Cid 10@ USC 35: This Carolina team will certainly win against a less-than-stellar crop of Cadets, but they're too soft and inconsistent for me to call this one a real blowout.
Samford 7 @ Auburn 52: Auburn, while also on the weaker side this year, will still be smarting from the rogering the Dawgs handed them this week, making it a bad time for Samford to have that particular mascot.
Furman 7 @ Florida 42: Florida's down, but Furman got the wind knocked out of their sails this week and won't show up next week.
GSU 6 @ Bama 49: With a few moments of exciting play from the Eagles early, this game may vaguely resemble the WKU/LSU game from this week at first. The outcome, likewise, will be a one-sided victory for the bigger team.
CCU 28 @ WCU 10: Another joyless day in the Whee.
Wofford 28 @ Chatty 27: This has been a popular outcome for the Mocs this year, so they'll want to squeeze in one more before the season ends.
App State 41 @ Elon 14: Yes, App is a different team on the road, and yes, Elon had a big week this week. However, victory hangovers have been commonplace this season and all inconsistencies aside, I simply think this ASU squad is much better than this Elon squad. App rolls.

seantaylor
November 13th, 2011, 11:29 AM

Chet.

apaladin
November 13th, 2011, 11:41 AM
To make matters worse for the Paladins, they lost the leading tackler in the SoCon in all-conference and all american linebacker Kadaron Anderson yesterday.

cannonballgsu
November 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
.... and TOTALLY redeem yourself!

http://img.listal.com/image/600692/600full-dumb-&-dumber-photo.jpg

xlolx

If it comes down to field goals (which it won't, I know), we win big...hahaha.

Reign of Terrier
November 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I've heard through grapevine, don't know if it is true could be just rumors and feel free to shoot it down if you know. Any better. monken and saban have talked and agreed to both start second string to avoid any major injuries. I hope not but I really don't want to see any serious injuries going into the playoffs

I don't think there's shame in any of that for either team

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Georgia Southern receives a vote in the Associated Press poll.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/ap

Gringer1
November 13th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Georgia Southern receives a vote in the Associated Press poll.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings/ap

This was clearly a missed vote for NDSU. You know how the pollsters are always slipping up with regards to the Bison.

SpeedkingATL
November 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM

I hope that's not the case, if so why even play the game. This is a chance for GaSo to see how they can measure up against the big boys. I could see both coaches subing once the game gets out of hand. I seriously doubt GaSo doesn't give it their best shot.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2011, 04:03 PM
With Wofford's backs against the wall and Chatty's morale all but gone, I like Wofford to win it and lock up a place in the playoffs. And I actually think they have a better chance with Coleman in the game. It would be an absolute shame for this conference to only get 2 teams in so I'm pulling for the ankle-biters.

All of the SoCon-SEC games will be closer than the consensus. Call me crazy, but the team most likely to pull off a longshot win is The Citadel at USC seeing how a down Navy team gave them a fit.

seantaylor
November 14th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I'm torn on this. We have some guys that we absolutely have to get healthy come playoffs. I would sit anyone that was even a little bit gimpy. This game is just horrible, horrible scheduling. Sammy Baker at his finest. It does nothing to play them the last week of the season before the playoffs.

whoanellie
November 14th, 2011, 01:33 AM
implies your a dirty team? i think not.

chattanoogamocs
November 14th, 2011, 02:52 AM
With Wofford's backs against the wall and Chatty's morale all but gone, I like Wofford to win it and lock up a place in the playoffs.

Yep, the morale is all but gone for the Mocs. Not sure why they showed up last week at Samford, seemed like a total waste of time with a 3rd string QB starting. Honestly, I don't know why they just don't go ahead and cancel the game and let Wofford to prepare for their playoff game.

Trust me, the morale is fine and the team has plenty of motivation to send out Coleman, Bradford and the other seniors with a winning record...and if there is any team in the conference that the Mocs "owe one" to, it's Wofford.

Chattanooga might not win, but they sure as hell aren't going to roll over. In case some people still haven't gotten the memo, they quit doing that when Allison left.

Mikeyosef
November 14th, 2011, 01:41 PM
3 Game comments: 1)I've personally watched every minute of 7 games App State played this season....including the embarrassment at VT. We could very easily loose to Elon next week depending on which teams show up. Normally teams have their worst letdowns following upsets when they then play a team they should beat. Elon has not beaten App since joining the SOCON; they know they have their work cutout for them and they'll be pumped up and dying to pick us off. This weekend, we kicked 6 field goals...not because we wanted to work out our kicker but because we couldn't score TDs against what is arguably the worst WCU defensive we have played in DECADES. I hope and think we will win comfortably but this game is no gimmy.

2)Though I would love to see GS make a close game out of this weekend's match-up I don't see it. One GS TD would be a victory given how Bama played LSU. I dearly hope the starters on both teams play...it can only help get GS ready for the playoffs IMO. The argument that their players are more likely to be hurt playing Bama's bigger, faster players is BULL S*** statistically. Sure, if they play hard, to win they might be a bit more sore come Sunday but they have a bye for the playoffs and time to recover. Wish this game was on on TV.

The most interesting SOCON game of the week has got to be the Wofford v Chatty game. I hope Wofford wins and I think they should but(need 3 SOCON teams in the POs), as others have said, Chatty is a much, much better team than their record and they will give Woffy every thing they can handle. This game may come down to a certain "go for two" happy coach...going for two to either win or loose. Good luck Wofford, I'll be pulling for you.

longtimemocfan
November 16th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Call me crazy, but Coleman hasn't played in how many weeks? you can't expect him to but phenomenal numbers up with so little reps.

Coleman has been throwing for weeks and practicing some 2 or more. He just hasn't been ready to take hits. Remember it's his non throwing shoulder that was injured.
So he has had plenty of reps. Both QB's will play.

ASUG8
November 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I'm torn on this. We have some guys that we absolutely have to get healthy come playoffs. I would sit anyone that was even a little bit gimpy. This game is just horrible, horrible scheduling. Sammy Baker at his finest. It does nothing to play them the last week of the season before the playoffs.

Your AD did the same thing this season that ours did last year. Playing an SEC team the week before playoffs? Much less a top 5 team? Get that game over early in the season and don't ruin your postseason chances. xtwocentsx

Terrierforlife
November 16th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Wofford has had another major injury and loss a starter at linebacker. At this point I'm clueless. We couldn't stop GSU's fullback and I don't know about Chatt.'s run game either. We'll see on Saturday. (Too fried to discuss any other teams.)

Woof
November 16th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Agreed. The Terrier defense is the walking wounded and if Chatty is as good as everyone says, we could be in for a long day. At this point, we stand to be without 2 starting ILB's and 2 starting corners which could allow Chatty to pass and/or run at will. I know our backs are against the wall, but our butts are in a sling, too. We seriously need some lightening in a bottle for this game. I know Chatty is still smarting about the thumping we dealt them last year and their seniors will be hungry to avenge that loss. We need to play efficient, ball control offense and get to their QB on defense...regardless of which one is playing.

I think the SEC opponents run the table with relative ease with the possible exception of USC-Citadel which could be a low scoring affair. Elon v. Appy is somewhat of a toss up, but Appy should survive and advance.

Mountaineer#96
November 17th, 2011, 07:39 AM
SEC 4 - SoCon - 0 (Hopefully a surprise or two in some of these match ups, El Cid should give the Gamecocks some problems with the option)

App State 30 Elon 14

WC 31 Chatty 21

Mountaineer#96
November 17th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Wofford has had another major injury and loss a starter at linebacker. At this point I'm clueless. We couldn't stop GSU's fullback and I don't know about Chatt.'s run game either. We'll see on Saturday. (Too fried to discuss any other teams.)

Well they don't run the ball too much, especially with the WORLDS GREATEST ARM at QB.....;)

OL FU
November 17th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Furman 13 @ Florida 49 - Furman's undefeated vs. Florida? Not after this week.

I actually think we are 2-6

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 17th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I actually think we are 2-6

Yes, you're right. I thought Furman had a 2-0 record against Florida but did not realize Florida won every matchup thereafter.

seantaylor
November 18th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Your AD did the same thing this season that ours did last year. Playing an SEC team the week before playoffs? Much less a top 5 team? Get that game over early in the season and don't ruin your postseason chances. xtwocentsx

I would be absolute giddy if we got Florida's team last year this season.

cbarrier90
November 18th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I would be absolute giddy if we got Florida's team last year this season.

And we were too...until we actually played.

It doesn't matter if it's Alabama or Tennessee. The athletes that play in the SEC are miles and miles ahead of anything a SoCon team can trot out onto the field.

That being said, I'm all for anything that makes Oct. 29th look better...

seantaylor
November 18th, 2011, 03:17 AM
And we were too...until we actually played.

It doesn't matter if it's Alabama or Tennessee. The athletes that play in the SEC are miles and miles ahead of anything a SoCon team can trot out onto the field.

That being said, I'm all for anything that makes Oct. 29th look better...

No. GSU would beat many SEC teams this year. The big thing is that the games are always in SEC(BCS) territory, and they always use their own conference officials. Those officials simply will not let an FCS team win if all things are equal.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 18th, 2011, 05:08 AM
No. GSU would beat many SEC teams this year. The big thing is that the games are always in SEC(BCS) territory, and they always use their own conference officials. Those officials simply will not let an FCS team win if all things are equal.

Well, someone forgot to tell the officiating crew working the Mississippi-Jacksonville State game that.

Reign of Terrier
November 18th, 2011, 11:05 AM

you are so full of it xlolx GSU could beat Kentucky or Ole Miss but that's about it. I've seen Wofford play toe to toe with an SEC and top notch ACC team, but in the SEC no FCS team comes within 20 points of the top 5 teams

seantaylor
November 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM
you are so full of it xlolx GSU could beat Kentucky or Ole Miss but that's about it. I've seen Wofford play toe to toe with an SEC and top notch ACC team, but in the SEC no FCS team comes within 20 points of the top 5 teams

Where did I say we would beat a top 5 SEC team? But, you are playing 11 on 18 when playing a BCS team due to the officiating. Wins still happen, but it is because the FCS was that much better in that particular game.