PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference wins?

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Other than three wins against Presbyterian, and beating each other who have the Southern Confirm beaten. The only meaningful OOC wins are by Chatty and neither of those two team will make the playoffs. They have NO OOC wins against playoff teams. All the respect this year seems to be based on past results. Seems to explain how the polls work (Towson, Maine)

Fear the Bird
November 12th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Nobody in the country aside from a very select few has strong OOC wins and ironically enough new hampshire may very well have the best FCS OOC win

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Other than three wins against Presbyterian, and beating each other who have the Southern Confirm beaten. The only meaningful OOC wins are by Chatty and neither of those two team will make the playoffs. They have NO OOC wins against playoff teams. All the respect this year seems to be based on past results. Seems to explain how the polls work (Towson, Maine)
yeah that Chattanooga team can't finish higher than what, 4th? Name a conference outside of the CAA that is better than the socon this year.

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Nobody in the country aside from a very select few has strong OOC wins and ironically enough new hampshire may very well have the best FCS OOC win

Wow to hear that from you! They do, though particularly on the road

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 04:43 PM
yeah that Chattanooga team can't finish higher than what, 4th? Name a conference outside of the CAA that is better than the socon this year.

I will right after you name that quality OOC win??

CropDuster
November 12th, 2011, 04:46 PM
We don't need quality OOC wins. Our conference is good enough.

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Based on history only. I am not actually arguing that point but your rep is based on history not anything you have done this year.

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I will right after you name that quality OOC win??

it's irrelevant. You're implying that the Socon is overrated, citing the lack of OOC wins. Though the quality OOC wins may not be there, it's an irrelevant argument because OOC wins do not make a conference. Therefore I ask you, what conference outside of the CAA is better? The only OOC game that wasn't FBS that the Socon has dropped was Furman vs CCU in week one.

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Based on history only. I am not actually arguing that point but your rep is based on history not anything you have done this year.

we've only lost one OOC game that wasn't FBS, is that good enough for you? and Western is the only team that could lose an OOC FCS game this year. Don't crucify us for winning against weak teams, as stated our history shows we're a top conference

CropDuster
November 12th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Yup. That's what a combined 10 national titles in the last 25 years does for you. With FU, losing to Elon today, we likely only get 3 teams in barring anymore melt downs. What's your big deal?

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 05:02 PM

Based on what? Is the emporer really wearing any clothes?

CropDuster
November 12th, 2011, 05:04 PM

You quoted my post twice with two different responses.

You mad?

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 05:08 PM
it's irrelevant. You're implying that the Socon is overrated, citing the lack of OOC wins. Though the quality OOC wins may not be there, it's an irrelevant argument because OOC wins do not make a conference. Therefore I ask you, what conference outside of the CAA is better? The only OOC game that wasn't FBS that the Socon has dropped was Furman vs CCU in week one.

Irrelevant? So you have no response? I do, but I won't bother until you have anything meaningful to say.

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 05:13 PM
You quoted my post twice with two different responses.

You mad?

No, but glad there are playoffs to so teams have to play on the field. I think it is a fair question and I have heard no answer. I love the competitiveness of the SoCon but why no meaningful OOC games?

Appaholic
November 12th, 2011, 05:13 PM

You being serious? When you're a member of SoCon or CAA or Big Sky, it's kind of tough to have impressive out of conference wins unless they're against FBS teams. And those are few and far between when the FBS you schedule is VaTech, Tennessee, or Alabama. That's the price you pay for being in an upper echelon FCS conference. Is it really impressive to beat the best team of a lesser FCS conference? Sorry, but I don't see your argument.....

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 05:19 PM
You being serious? When you're a member of SoCon or CAA or Big Sky, it's kind of tough to have impressive out of conference wins unless they're against FBS teams. And those are few and far between when the FBS you schedule is VaTech, Tennessee, or Alabama. That's the price you pay for being in an upper echelon FCS conference. Is it really impressive to beat the best team of a lesser FCS conference? Sorry, but I don't see your argument.....

Why not a CAA team on a schedule? Same for the CAA. I give The northern teams of the CAA credit, they play what was supposed to be the best of the Patriot and NEC teams. At some point the NCAA should look at teams willingness to play meaningful OOC games against FCS teams. If the leagues are superior, wins should not be an issue. And no a one game home series does not cut it UD.

AppMAN04
November 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM
This thread is lame and meaningless... Somebody has envy fever or something

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Irrelevant? So you have no response? I do, but I won't bother until you have anything meaningful to say.

we've lost one OOC game. it was on the road. in week one. you mad bro

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 05:54 PM
This thread is lame and meaningless... Somebody has envy fever or something

Still not one meaningful reply to the issue. Truth hurts. Honestly, I think the MVFC, CAA and SoCon are easily the best conferences, but the SOCon has played no meaningful OOC games.

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 05:56 PM
we've lost one OOC game. it was on the road. in week one. you mad bro

I didn't ask who you lost too, who did you beat? You embarrassed bro?

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Still not one meaningful reply to the issue. Truth hurts. Honestly, I think the MVFC, CAA and SoCon are easily the best conferences, but the SOCon has played no meaningful OOC games.

what has the MVFC played OOC that's impressive? The CAA has done nothing but beat up on the Patriot and Pioneer teams, how is that "Impressive"

AppMAN04
Who do you pull for? Sandusky flames?

WHAT? TOO SOON?

Reign of Terrier
I didn't ask who you lost too, who did you beat? You embarrassed bro?

doesn't matter, we beat the teams that are put in front of us

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 06:04 PM
what has the MVFC played OOC that's impressive? The CAA has done nothing but beat up on the Patriot and Pioneer teams, how is that "Impressive"

Lehigh
Liberty
Albany

There are three very likely AQs. I am still waiting for you to name one? I am making a simple point, schedule someone/anyone besides a money or home game. I know you don't like to hear it

Appaholic
November 12th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Better question is when was the last time MVFC won a title....period....

whoanellie
November 12th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Furman vs Florida, GaSouthern vs Bama & Citadel vs S Carolina get the OOC/FBS cash cow award for next week. IMHO I believe Furman's record stands as playoff caliber worthy.
Yup. That's what a combined 10 national titles in the last 25 years does for you. With FU, losing to Elon today, we likely only get 3 teams in barring anymore melt downs. What's your big deal?

Appaholic
November 12th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Lehigh
Liberty
Albany

There are three very likely AQs. I am still waiting for you to name one? I am making a simple point, schedule someone/anyone besides a money or home game. I know you don't like to hear it

Great....you proved your point for this year only...congrats....I'll pick a team from SoCon, BSC or CAA wins the national title this year regardless of their "weak" OOC schedule...who you got?

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Furman vs Florida, GaSouthern vs Bama & Citadel vs S Carolina get the OOC/FBS cash cow award for next week. IMHO I believe Furman's record stands as playoff caliber worthy.

Can't argue with that!

ElonPride
November 12th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Great....you proved your point for this year only...congrats....I'll pick a team from SoCon, BSC or CAA wins the national title this year regardless of their "weak" OOC schedule...who you got?

xnodx

Wow Appaholic. I think this is the first time we've agreed on something :D

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 06:19 PM

Thanks, I won't argue with you on the winner coming from one of those three, but I will throw in the MVFC. I look forward to the playoffs and some great games.

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 06:20 PM
doesn't matter, we beat the teams that are put in front of us

That is hilarious considering other teams are killed based on who they play and beat.

blueballs
November 12th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Lehigh
Liberty
Albany

None of whom would approach .500 in the SoCon.

Georgia Southern looks forward to hosting and then destroying one of those teams the first week of December... come on down and get some.

Appaholic
November 12th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks, I won't argue with you on the winner coming from one of those three, but I will throw in the MVFC. I look forward to the playoffs and some great games.

Not gonna happen....NDSU blew their wad today and are reviewing the gametape as we speak to figure out when, exactly, the refs started screwing them out of their win today....UNI won't win it because, well, they don't know how to win a big game....and the rest of the MVFC might as well as be in the Great West....

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Not gonna happen....NDSU blew their wad today and are reviewing the gametape as we speak to figure out when, exactly, the refs started screwing them out of their win today....UNI won't win it because, well, they don't know how to win a big game....and the rest of the MVFC might as well as be in the Great West....

Not sure one game rules out NDSU. Honestly, after my team bows out likely in round two. I would typically root for a CAA team, but the "new" crop of teams is tough for a traditionalist to embrace.

CropDuster
November 12th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Not sure one game rules out NDSU. Honestly, after my team bows out likely in round two. I would typically root for a CAA team, but the "new" crop of teams is tough for a traditionalist to embrace.

Doesn't get more traditional than GSU ;)

Engineer86
November 12th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Doesn't get more traditional than GSU ;)

Absolutely, but I grew up cringing if Delaware lost to Temple. No agreement with GSU or ASU tradition.

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Lehigh
Liberty
Albany

What's your point? Liberty barely beat PC and VMI, Lehigh and Albany have beaten no one. With that being said, please tell me how the MVFC is better than the Socon. please do. no one is disputing that the CAA is on the level of the Socon, but please prove to me that the socon is a weaker conference

FargoBison
November 12th, 2011, 10:41 PM

I guess FBS wins aren't impressive.

Reign of Terrier
November 12th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I guess FBS wins aren't impressive....

you can't use the words "Minnesota" and "impressive" in the same sentence.

FargoBison
November 12th, 2011, 10:46 PM
you can't use the words "Minnesota" and "impressive" in the same sentence.

I can and I will. Not many FCS teams have beaten a BCS conference team by two TDs this year.

SeattleGriz
November 12th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I can and I will. Not many FCS teams have beaten a BCS conference team by two TDs this year.

Sacramento State beat Oregon State (BCS team) and Montana this year. For those that think the Big Sky is weak, how exactly does a 4-6 team from the Big Sky do that unless they have some skills? I think the playoffs are going to show some on this board that the Big Sky is not down as much as everyone thinks. Not specifically speaking at you FargoBison, just can't multiquote.

gsu6trophies
November 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM
New Mexico State beat Minnesota. Also, I have another question. When is the last time that Lehigh . . . shouldn't even be allowed to waste an invite to the playoffs?

FargoBison
November 12th, 2011, 11:08 PM
New Mexico State beat Minnesota. Also, I have another question. When is the last time that Lehigh . . . shouldn't even be allowed to waste an invite to the playoffs?

Minnesota also beat Iowa and played USC and Michigan State to the wire on the road. They have a very athletic QB, he missed a few games due to injury but when he has played MN has been somewhat decent.

CID1990
November 13th, 2011, 12:44 AM

That's because the only truly meaningful games are in late November and December, and those games have not been played yet.

StorminASU
November 13th, 2011, 12:48 AM

Being from GSU, I know you have trouble finishing coherent sentences, but I think I understood you enough to get what you were saying and I couldn't agree more. I would be EXTREMELY glad to welcome Lehigh, Albany, etc to the rock to help them find the playoff exit ramp. Questioning the Socon this year, or trying to throw out the teams you have to challenge them is ridiculous. With a tough conference schedule like the Socon (toughest FCS conference this year) and CAA face weekly, you don't schedule OCC games that could cost you playoffs. We move to whatever league Lehigh plays in and run the board, we could schedule Delaware, Montana or whoever we wanted. This thread is ridiculous.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2011, 12:49 AM

So you are saying that the PL has a strong OOC resume this season?

SeattleGriz
November 13th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Being from GSU, I know you have trouble finishing coherent sentences, but I think I understood you enough to get what you were saying and I couldn't agree more. I would be EXTREMELY glad to welcome Lehigh, Albany, etc to the rock to help them find the playoff exit ramp. Questioning the Socon this year, or trying to throw out the teams you have to challenge them is ridiculous. With a tough conference schedule like the Socon (toughest FCS conference this year) and CAA face weekly, you don't schedule OCC games that could cost you playoffs. We move to whatever league Lehigh plays in and run the board, we could schedule Delaware, Montana or whoever we wanted. This thread is ridiculous.

How do you quantify this statement? It may be true, but I don't see how you can say the Southern is the toughest, for as this thread has shown, there have been virtually zero power inter-conference matchups. Parity does not mean it is the toughest conference. As CID 1990 stated, we won't know until the playoffs which conference is the toughest.

I suppose I am just a little touchy because I always hear about the Big Fluffy. Well, Montana played for the National Championship in 2008 and 2009, and then EWU won it in 2010. Nobody expected that to happen. While it doesn't mean the Big Sky was the toughest, it sure speaks volumes about the play in the Big Sky.

cbarrier90
November 13th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Not many FCS teams have beaten a BCS conference team by two TDs this year.

Not many FCS teams get to play the dumpster fire that is Minnesota every year. xcoffeex

Mr. C
November 13th, 2011, 01:08 AM
How do you quantify this statement? It may be true, but I don't see how you can say the Southern is the toughest, for as this thread has shown, there have been virtually zero power inter-conference matchups. Parity does not mean it is the toughest conference. As CID 1990 stated, we won't know until the playoffs which conference is the toughest.

I suppose I am just a little touchy because I always hear about the Big Fluffy. Well, Montana played for the National Championship in 2008 and 2009, and then EWU won it in 2010. Nobody expected that to happen. While it doesn't mean the Big Sky was the toughest, it sure speaks volumes about the play in the Big Sky.
What is great about FCS is that we decide such things, ultimately, on the playing field. We will know after the playoffs who had the toughest conference this season. One thing I have seen in my travels this season is an awful lot of parity among FCS schools, which should make for some great playoff games.

asumike83
November 13th, 2011, 01:09 AM
If ever there was such a thing as an impressive loss, I'd say that Wofford (who fill finish 2nd or 3rd in the SoCon) playing a top 10 FBS team down to the wire at their place is pretty impressive.

Not sure why the SoCon is being scrutinized, there will likely be 3 teams going to the postseason. Does anybody really think that is not warranted?

StorminASU
November 13th, 2011, 01:09 AM

I'm going off Sagarin rankings, but mostly pure bias. Calm down a little, I respect Montana an extreme amount.

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Not many FCS teams get to play the dumpster fire that is Minnesota every year. xcoffeex

Hey I never said it was the greatest win ever, it's just a quality win.

SeattleGriz
November 13th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I'm going off Sagarin rankings, but mostly pure bias. Calm down a little, I respect Montana an extreme amount.

No worries man, I really am not uptight over this. I just defend the Big Sky when I can.

asumike83
November 13th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Hey I never said it was the greatest win ever, it's just a quality win.

I don't care what their record is. If ASU had beaten a BCS conference team this season, I would be crowing about it for sure.

SideLine Shooter
November 13th, 2011, 08:19 AM
What is great about FCS is that we decide such things, ultimately, on the playing field. We will know after the playoffs who had the toughest conference this season. One thing I have seen in my travels this season is an awful lot of parity among FCS schools, which should make for some great playoff games.

Mr. C, I certainly agree with you on parity among FCS schools. Of the teams I have seen this year I have not been impressed. I can't speak for all of the FCS schools but within the SoCon I just don't see a Big Dominating Team. If someone from the SoCon wins the N/C it will say a lot about parity in FCS. However, if someone from the SoCon wins the N/C it will say a lot about how weak FCS football is right now. "Thats my story and I'm sticking to it."

By the way, Congrats to GSU on their SoCon Championship. Man, that hurt.

fc97
November 13th, 2011, 08:28 AM
hey lehigh, the computer polls show true the real reality of it computed with everyone else

you say that the caa north teams at least play the patriot and nec conference, you mean neighborhood teams?

the socon played neighborhood teams from the acc, sec, meac, ovc and big south

when the patriot and caa north doesn't want to come south and with travel expenses so high, what do you propose? elon tried a home/home with lehigh and they said no

Appaholic
November 13th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Not sure one game rules out NDSU....

....nor does one win against a bottom-feeding Minnesota make an impressive OOC schedule for all teams of MVFC....

Engineer86
November 13th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Fair point. It is unfortunate that in this economy, we will see more local games and money games. If Lehigh wants to have national respect, we should up the schedule outside the region

Appaholic
November 13th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I don't care what their record is. If ASU had beaten a BCS conference team this season, I would be crowing about it for sure.

Not sure if I'd crow about a win over Duke....maybe, but the thought doesn't excite me....Duke (ACC) = Minnesota (Big10) = Oregon St (Pac10)...

Skjellyfetti
November 13th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Quit reading this thread when I saw the OP was from the Patriot League.

asumike83
November 13th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Not sure if I'd crow about a win over Duke....maybe, but the thought doesn't excite me....Duke (ACC) = Minnesota (Big10) = Oregon St (Pac10)...

I'm not saying it would be the highlight of our season and what I would hang my hat on as an ASU fan, but I would definitely be excited about a win over Duke.

Appaholic
November 13th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I'm not saying it would be the highlight of our season and what I would hang my hat on as an ASU fan, but I would definitely be excited about a win over Duke.

Hey! if you were an NDSU fan, you'd swear that win alone is enough to keep you ranked #1 after losing to an unranked conference opponent....a conference, btw, that has produced how many champions in recent (last 15-20yrs) history? MVFC = A poor man's Patriot league....

FargoBison
November 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM
...and if you were an NDSU fan, you'd swear that win alone is enough to keep you ranked #1 after losing to an unranked conference opponent....a conference, btw, that has produced how many champions in recent (last 15-20yrs) history?

NO NDSU fan has said we should be #1...lakes and JBB might but they are both hiding together in their bunker.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I'd say the fifth best team beating Jax State 38-17 and EKU 23-14 is probably the best we have. Other than UNH's game against Lehigh, has any FCS team in the top 4 conferences played an FCS team OOC better than Jax State? I can't think of one.

And the thing about the FBS games ... we don't generally get to play the Toledo's, the Oregon State's, the UNLV's, and the Minnesotas of the FBS. No, this year we play the likes of Alabama, Virginia Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, and Florida.