PDA

View Full Version : AD Who Downgraded Butler FB Retires

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Parry took football down from scholarship to non-schollie which never sat well with critics, according to the Indy Star article linked below this post. That's a pretty long tenure, 16 years, for an AD. It's not heard about often. Congrats to Parry on a great career as an AD and best of luck in his future...

-----------
Athletic Director John Parry Announces Retirement from Butler University

Administrator ends the longest tenure of Indiana's Division I athletic directors

May 10, 2006

John Parry, director of athletics at Butler University since 1990, has announced his decision to retire, ending the longest tenure at one school of any current NCAA Division I athletic director in Indiana. Parry will officially step down no later than Dec. 31, 2006, pending university transition plans.

Parry has presided over Butler's athletic department during a period of significant growth and success. During his tenure, Butler expanded its sports offerings, added and improved athletic facilities, and experienced its greatest single period of athletic achievement. Butler captured its first Horizon League James J, McCafferty Trophy for all-sports excellence in 1996-97, and the Bulldogs repeated that honor in 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02 and 2002-03.

"Thanks to talented athletes, resourceful coaches and a supportive administration, over 16 years we have been able to build a model NCAA Division I athletic program at Butler University," Parry said. "I loved being a part of the building process; I am proud of what we accomplished, and I look forward to taking on a new challenge in my professional career."

Under Parry's leadership, Butler added varsity teams in women's soccer, women's golf and men's lacrosse, bringing the school's total number of athletic teams to a league-high 19. Legendary Hinkle Fieldhouse and the Butler Bowl have undergone extensive renovation in the past 16 years, and three soccer/lacrosse fields and a softball field have been developed on campus. An intercollegiate weight room was added to Hinkle Fieldhouse, and the Davey Athletic Complex was completed with a new baseball press box and an all-weather track.

http://butlersports.cstv.com/genrel/051006aab.html
--------
Indy Star Article:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060511/SPORTS06/605110442/1004/SPORTS

blukeys
May 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Butler is a very bad non-scollie program that does make I-AA football teams look bad by losing to D-3 teams.

From the Indy Star.

"On the down side, he said, was an inability to rebuild a football program that has gone 3-30 over the past three seasons."

DFW HOYA
May 11th, 2006, 09:43 PM
That's a pretty long tenure, 16 years, for an AD. It's not heard about often.

Not that unusual. Georgetown just added a new AD last year, only the fifth one at the Hilltop since 1948.

Some other schools have long running AD's as well--Syracuse's just retired AD had been there since 1978, and Texas' DeLoss Dodds has been on the Forty Acres since 1981.

blukeys
May 11th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Not that unusual. Georgetown just added a new AD last year, only the fifth one at the Hilltop since 1948.

Some other schools have long running AD's as well--Syracuse's just retired AD had been there since 1978, and Texas' DeLoss Dodds has been on the Forty Acres since 1981.

Delaware has had 2 since 1966. (40 years by my count) The first was a legend. The second is still trying to figure out how to grow grass on a football field. :bawling:

ButlerGSU
May 12th, 2006, 06:33 AM
BUTLER WILL RISE AGAIN!

DetroitFlyer
May 12th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Yeah, Butler has fallen on hard times as of late, but let's give them some credit here. Butler still has a football program to rebuild. The Butler Bowl was recently renovated and I think they are starting to come around. Many schools just gave up and dropped football alltogether, ( see Evansville for just one of many examples ). I do not care what level of football you play, there will always have to be "the worst" team because that is how things are measured. Results do count. But let's give credit to the schools that have maintained football, under sometimes difficult circumstances, so that they can live to fight another day. Frankly, I salute all the Butlers of 1-AA for hanging in there and at least having a football program to rebuild!! I'll go one step further, if more conferences like the PFL were fully embraced by 1-AA, ( and you all know exactly what I mean ), we just might see more schools playing football! GO BUTLER, GO PFL, and of course I have to say GO DAYTON FLYERS!!!!!